Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Omits-Bagels posted:

I have a question for all you non-US travelers. Where do you buy your travel stuff from? I run http://www.thesavvybackpacker.com and I'm wanting to write up some travel gear articles to people from the UK, Australia and Canada.

For Canada, MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op, https://www.mec.ca) is basically the equipment holy grail. Popular brands if you want something specific + their own MEC brand at great prices and typically solid quality.

I very much miss it after leaving Canada for Germany. I'm in the market for a sleeping bag and would love to have access to MEC right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Just tried the smart wool socks on my trip in Iceland and they just changed my (traveling) life. So comfy and dry even after long hikes, compared to my crappy old socks.

I've got a 3 week trip in Mongolia planned in a month though and still need to pick up some clothes, so I'd love recommendations for:
- A good raincoat, NOT in the poncho style
- Rain proof over trousers
- A good polar fleece, or a recommended brand
- Travel pants, or also a good recommended brand

Aaaaand the stuff must be available in Europe, which basically removes a lot of brands that people have been recommending :(
The raincoat and rainproof trousers are the most important of the bunch forme to find. My previous ones would repel water for half an hour and then let it all soak through, bad experience.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Good question, I'll look a bit more into what kind of rain conditions I should expect/be prepared for more specifically.

The Marmot stuff looks good (they also have pants!) and some of their line is available in Europe, including the PreClip.

E: got told the Marmot stuff should do just fine, so I guess I'll pick some up, thanks.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 28, 2013

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Blinkman987 posted:

Nike Flyknit Lunars are super comfortable

My choice, super comfy and looks good on any kind of fit.
As a bonus, it's one of those rare shoes that look fine, are comfy AND come in wide size to accommodate my lovely feet.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
On the topic of travel audio, I want to recommend the Xiami Pistons in-ear monitors (both models 2 and 3).
After destroying my 200+ euro IEM on a trip, I ordered the Pistons and the quality is pretty ridiculous for the price. I keep a fancy pair for the office/home, otherwise for travels and the gym it's 100% Pistons. At their price, replacing lost or damaged ones is pretty easy.

Best way to get ahold of them is through verified resellers, which head-fi.org does a great job of listing.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
In my experience as someone who doesn't go on business trips, I consider the people who do and bring oversized bags as their carry-on to be a plague.

For some reason this past year I've been asked many, many times at boarding queues to check my carry on "because too many people have brought oversized luggage". Please don't be one of the assholes contributing to this.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Oh there we go, that's someone I can hate more than the oversized carry-on idiots.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I'd be worried about a fragile item like porcelain unless very well packed, but sake? I've carried tons of assorted bottles without a hitch, usually by wrapping them in clothes and keeping them in the middle of the bags, with a few items above and below.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

hbf posted:

Anyone ever try Lems Shoes? http://www.lemsshoes.com/

They are extremely light weight, and most of them aesthetically don't look too terrible or dad shoe-y (though they could definitely change some details).

Oh yeah, I remember those. I thought they were pretty bad, especially in person :(

What exactly are you looking for in them, the wide toebox?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I'm heading off on a safari later this year and need pants that can resist sweating. Years ago I think I had some prana stuff and they performed admirably.

Any difference between the prana zion pants and convertible pants besides the obvious?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

caberham posted:

gently caress icebreaker shirts don't come cheap.

Material feels nice and texture similar to cotton. But drat that price tag

Icebreaker has regular sales I believe.

Going to re-ask for pants suggestions. Going on a safari, need something that's sweat resistant as gently caress.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Saladman posted:

Where for the safari? If in Kenya or Tanzania then it's going to be a LOT colder than you think, since eveything is at like 2000m elevation. Just fyi, I know some people who go there and think "Africa" and pack a bunch of shorts and freeze their asses off

Tanzania yeah, but I suffer from shameful buttswamp.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Saladman posted:

Unless you have some super specific travel needs that mixes both "business casual" and "trekking in a temperate rainforest" into a single outfit.

Wait, you mean you've never crossed Africa by car on your way to a business meeting only for the car to break down so you hoofed it through the Savannah while being chased by dangerous animals, and then arrived just on time looking swag as gently caress?

Jeez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

qirex posted:

Vivo Barefoot is based in the UK, I don't go for that kind of shoe but they'll probably be easier to try out where you are.

A bit late, but a heads up on VB:

1. Quality is pretty ehhh for the price. You can get lucky/unlucky with your pair.

2. They are one of the rare brands that make proper wide toeboxes. It makes the shoes look goofy as poo poo, but super comfy. Or in my case, one of the rare brands I can fit into.

On that topic, can anyone recommend other proper wide shoes for day walks?

• Locked thread