Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ilovepy
Oct 10, 2007
mmm... py
The most useful item I found is an Ipod touch.

Skype for calling, iBooks or Stanza for reading, camera ("memory pictures"), alarm clock, journaling (you can get pretty good with the keyboard quickly), music, games, translation apps, calculator, instant messenger, unit conversion, weather, calendar, pandora, facebook, and a flashlight in a pinch. Lots of uses. Fits in a pocket or even a money belt. You can even travel guides on the thing.

I just really hate lugging around even a netbook, worrying about, needing to put it in hostel safes, etc.

For a daypack I use this:
http://www.rei.com/product/799600/sea-to-summit-ultra-sil-packable-day-pack

I got it on sale, its fairly pricey but incredibly small and durable.

ilovepy fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilovepy
Oct 10, 2007
mmm... py

Sheep-Goats posted:

Well, I can. :confused: What shoe say you?

Also how many people even go on hikes when they travel?

I would say I travel PRIMARILY to hike. For me, nature is far, far more interesting than old churches or markets or nightclubs or whatever it is other people do when travelling. But I am a goon.

Footwear wise at home I hike in my vibrams, but while travelling I have a pair of fairly compact Lowa hiking boots. But footwear is such a personal preference I won't make any recommendations.

ilovepy fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 9, 2011

ilovepy
Oct 10, 2007
mmm... py

Windmill Hut posted:

Some people want to travel and just be comfortable, look good and not get hot/cold. I know tons of people to who go away every year without any problems, including myself, and basically just chuck their warddrobe into a suitcase and off they go.

But guys, dont bring shorts, the SUN might get on your legs!

Suitcase? Would it be better if the title of the thread was "The travel (BACKPACKING) gear thread"?

Maybe it is just a type of travel many shorts-wearing Americans don't understand. I like the OP.

ilovepy fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 16, 2011

ilovepy
Oct 10, 2007
mmm... py
Is it possible to have a pack-able wide brimmed hat and not look like a Travel Dad? Hats are dorky but so much better than sunscreen. My neck is red enough as it is.

• Locked thread