Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenixx
Dec 1, 2007

by T. Mascis

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I'll pop in in a week or two when my schedule clears up to post more contrarian bullshit/photo stuff, but:

A laundry bag is nice to have, especially if you're backpacking somewhere like Southeast Asia where you're typically farming out your laundering to someone else. It's also a great place to hide valuables in your room. My camera and/or laptop would go at the bottom of my laundry bag, itself inside my plain-jane military surplus duffle bag, which was locked.

There are a ton of things wrong with a military surplus bag for traveling (straps lack padding, deep and accessible only through the top, etc), but they hold a shitload, are tough as nails, and cheap as dirt. You're seldom walking long distances with your pack on your back in Southeast Asia anyways, so the comfort issue really isn't one. They stand out from Black Rolling Suitcase #263 at the baggage claim (throw some patches on it to differentiate from actual military ones if you're in the US) and don't scream "well-heeled tourist". They also wad up well; when I switched from regular backpacking to motorcycle touring, it went inside one of my saddlebags and didn't drag me down at all. I don't necessarily recommend them for everyone because there are more convenient and ergonomic options out there, but I've been using one since I was 19 and will probably continue to do so.

:patriot:

as a veteran i think its hilarious that you travel with a mil. duffel bag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenixx
Dec 1, 2007

by T. Mascis
For those that have flown with RyanAir, it's a bag charge if you check but they've got normal sized overhead bins right?

Xenixx
Dec 1, 2007

by T. Mascis
Ok, I'm looking for some way to access the internet while I'm travelling (public wifi). What's out there for options, anything I'm not aware of? I'm looking at buying a Kindle or an iPad, anyone travel with one and prefer one or the other? Laptop's not really an issue, have one, weighs 17lbs. Most I do with it is research, make bookings, and misc stuff that comes up when backpacking.

• Locked thread