Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

What about carry on stuff. I have a Patagonia MLC that I use as my soul bag for most of my trips.

Seems like you could cut out a whole piece of luggage by keeping the soul in your physical body!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

caberham posted:

Travel cubes! And gym shoe bag is what I use.

Hey guys I will be going to London soon. I remembered seeing some UK based travel wear company but my google fu is weak. Can some one please please help? Thanks!

Berghaus?

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Using carry-ons to avoid check-ins seems ridiculous to me. I used to fly between two countries a couple of times a year with singapore airlines and in my experience check-ins usually took like 10 minutes max (even with full 777 flights) whether I turned up 2 hours before boarding or 45 minutes.

The immigration and security screening takes far longer than any check-in process I've gone through in the past few years, but I've mostly flown non-poo poo airlines at non-poo poo airports so ymmv

otoh carrying stuff aboard is pretty reasonable if you've got something fragile because as a rule never assume anyone respects the fragile sticker and also if you don't want to wait 20 minutes or so at the baggage carousel (although, again, this was only a problem at decent airports like changi where the wait time at incoming immigration is usually nil so you turn up at the carousel far quicker than the guys can reasonably be expected to unload the aircraft and drive the bags to the terminal)

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Alan_Shore posted:

I'm going on a 2 week trip across Europe before ending in HK (gonna try and live my dream of living in HK). Just bought this bag (http://www.caribee-uk.com/fast-track-laptop-carry-on-cabin-bag-black-green-cat-3-subcat-21-product-512) and I'm really happy with it. It's small but it fits my laptop, has lots of pockets for pens/documents/books and Caribee has always been a quality make for me. Also I got it for £40 on Amazon.

Gonna buy new clothes in Uniqlo, particularly their Airism underwear. Now I just need a good pair of walking shoes that don't cost the earth and look good with jeans. Any recommendations in the UK?

Also interested in a HK thread/meetup!

I've never heard of anyone dreaming of living in HK :stare:

I mean I live in singapore so I don't really need to venture out to hong kong to get rear end hosed by home and car prices (homes about 25% cheaper than HK, cars about 200% more expensive- new toyota corollas recently fell in price by 15,000 USD to the current 74,000 USD)), but what do you like about HK so much?

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Any kind of compressible daypack sucks loving balls unless youre just using it to carry jackets or whatever. They have no padding so any hard, odd-shaped item constantly pokes you in the back

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

did someone say pants

http://shop.outlier.cc/shop/retail/pants/

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Get isolating in-ear monitors right loving now. Seriously can't stress this enough, I've had the Etymotic ER-4 for years and you wouldn't believe how well they isolate you from the noise. It might feel like you're blasting Metallica at ridiculous volumes, but the moment you take them out, the outside crowd or street noise is almost deafening. It's not just engine or road noise, screaming babies and annoying passengers are gone too.

I'm not taking mine with me as the cable just broke near the connector, and in any case they'd be too easy to damage or lose for something that costs that much. One of their cheaper models would work fine too, as would many others if they can fit the 3-flange or similar eartips. I'm buying these as they're super cheap and mostly fit the slightly larger eartips that I have. They won't isolate as well but for :10bux: you can't really complain.

eh, I used pretty deece westone um2's for close to ten years with comply isolation foam tips, and I'm pretty sure I've flown with double/triple flanged tips before.

picking up bose qc25s still led to the most blissful flights I've ever had. I would switch them on without actually playing anything through it and just go right to sleep. don't remember being able to do that with in-ears

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

aren't pelicans also heavy af

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

I got a job in consulting and will probably be doing a fair bit of travelling - current project includes 4 week-long trips in 4 different countries - so its time to get some proper luggage.

At the moment I'm looking at B&R's U119CX(Commuter carry-on) and U121CXW (International carry-on

http://www.briggs-riley.com/shop/type/carry-on/baseline-commuter-expandable-upright-u119cx
http://www.briggs-riley.com/baseline-international-carry-on-expandable-wide-body-upright-u121cxw?p=2

If it was for work only (on a typical fly-in Monday and back Friday schedule) the choice would be easy - 4 shirts, 2 trousers, blazer if I didn't want to wear it on the plane, socks, undies, toiletries and a set of workout clothes would fit into the commuter nicely, but if I'm spending that much on a bag I'd like to use it for holidays too.

As it happens, in a couple of months I'll be going to Scandinavia for 18 days, and I'm wondering if the commuter is too small for that kind of trip. Don't know if its normal or not but I don't keep 17 pairs of underwear so a trip to the laundromat would happen at some point during the trip but I'm not one of those ultralight guys who like doing laundry in the bathroom at the end of each day. Think I could squeeze a couple of pants, a weeks worth of socks, tees, undies, an extra pair of shoes and a pair of slippers, a pullover and a hardshell (marmot precip) in the Commuter?

• Locked thread