Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Recommendations for a lightweight bag? My two main criteria are that it is light and has two straps do it can be worn as a backpack. The ones in the OP with the side-opening zips look ok but a little bulky. I'd be ok with a regular lightweight backpack.

I went on a flight recently and the hand luggage limit was 5 kg (was ok as I had hold luggage) but if I use them again I need a lighter bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

qirex posted:

Were they actually weighing people's stuff? I flew Virgin Atlantic a couple years ago and they have a posted 5kg limit and I was all nervous because I couldn't get below ~7 and then when I showed up at the gate people were boarding with two huge bags and nobody said a peep.

Yeah they were, luckily my camera gear was packed in my hold luggage so my carry-on was only 3 kg. I can't imagine it being too common a problem but I would like a bag that is quite lightweight in case it does happen again. A light bag would be nice to have anyway though even without considering a 5 kg limit.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Does anyone have any uk-specific recommendations for hand-luggage sized backpacks? Ideally I'd like a backpacking-style bag that can be opened and carried sideways like a suitcase. I've seen a few in this thread but couldn't find anything on amazon that matched. Maybe I'm using the wrong search term, as I just get normal backpacks or those with frames and wheels.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Just what I was looking for, thanks!

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Just wanted to say I ended up getting the Lowe carry-on 40 backpack recommended here. It's great, it's well designed and comfortable. The fact that it opens like a suitcase is great. I'm using it while away this weekend but I suppose the real test will come from the two weeks I'm planning to spend in India in December.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I'm going to Panama in December for two weeks, and am only taking a 40L carry-on backpack. I was thinking I might need a small light bag or something (that can easily be stuffed into my backpack) to carry a bottle of water, my camera and maybe a guidebook during the day if I'm out for a while. Any recommendations or suggestions for this situation?

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Outrail posted:

Are you an actual lady? Get a handbag that's big enough for that and make sure the strap is strong.

Sadly, I am not an actual lady. Was thinking of maybe getting a small and lightweight canvas-type backpack, one that can be folded up.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Thanks for the tips. I did some more investigation and am probably going to go for the Sea-to-Summit Ultra-Sil Daypack.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002ZHS6JS/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_k1apub1H92K85

It's 20L and folds up incredibly small. I didn't realise they made backpacks that compact, canvas would definitely be too bulky.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

If anyone wants European airline-compliant bag recommendations I'd suggest the Osprey Porter 40L. It's quite roomy, has decent straps, compartments etc. I used to have a Lowe TT carry-on but didn't like the lack of structure or support in the back.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I have an Osprey Porter 46 which I've used for years. I'm leaving Friday for Iceland and taking WOW airlines but have been told they have really strict travel requirements. 56x45x25cm and 11lbs. I tend not to pack too much (I'll be there a week and am just packing shorts, 4 shirts, 4 underwear, 4 socks, kindle, pointnshoot camera, documents, and bathroom stuff) and was thinking of just using my old LL Bean backpack I used in high school if I have to.

Would you all recommend just taking a backpack over the Porter 46? I can probably fit everything into the backpack, but would have liked the extra space to bring stuff back but its not an absolute must.

Afraid I don't know about the 46L and haven't flown with WOW, but have got by with the 40L on Ryanair, Vueling and Easyjet. It may be ok if you can compress it, but I'm a fan of travelling as light as possible so if you can survive with a smaller backpack and don't want to worry, go for it.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I actually had to buy a suitcase today as I'm going away for business and only had my 40L travelling backpack. I'm stopping by in Hong Kong on the way back for a holiday and am not looking forward to lugging the suitcase around - usually I travel light so it'll be a bit weird having all that stuff.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

caberham posted:

Rimowa or bust!

When are you in HK? Come hang out with us HK goons

Ended up getting a cheapish Swiss Gear :)

I'm arriving in HK on the morning of the 7th March, leaving afternoon of the 11th. Would be good to meet up! Is there a HK thread?

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Travel gear gift ideas for my sister who is going to New Zealand traveling for 6 weeks then living there for a year? She's got a backpack but not much else, I was thinking of useful things, like one of those collapsible day backpacks, but if anyone has any cool ideas or gadgets that'd be useful.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

caberham posted:

For girls?

Collapsible toiletry bag stuffed with all kinds of goodies and toiletries. And a quick dry towel paired with a sarong

Perfect! Thanks!

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Same thing for Pisco in Chile apparently.

Thanks for advice on gifts for my sister - got her a toiletries bag as I know she would find it useful, plus some other little things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I'm going to Argentina this November for three weeks and need to get some shoes and a backpack. I'll be spending some time in Buenos Aires, Iguazu, and Patagonia so need a shoe that can cover hiking and walking around the city (I'll be bringing smart leather shoes for evenings out in BA).

I want to avoid bulky hiking shoes, I prefer to wear something lightweight, so was thinking about 'trail shoes' - something like the inov8 Roclite 282 or the La Sportiva Ultra Raptors. Any thoughts on these types of shoes, or other recommendations?

As for backpacks I need something that I can use as a daypack while travelling but also back home for commuting - so something about 20 litres, fairly plain with a laptop sleeve. There's a million backpacks that fit this description so any recommendations would be great.

• Locked thread