Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
Great thread; particularly looking forward to suggestions regarding rain gear, especially in regards to tropical climates.

I'm not a computer buff, but I've been told it's smart to carry a USB on you with an internet browser downloaded on it; apparently this helps avert many of the potential dangers of browsing at internet cafes (e.g., accessing your bank account). Can anyone attest to this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
How effective are water bottles with filtration devices in less-developed countries? I'm planning on traveling to SE Asia and India, and I figured it might be worth looking into something like the Camelbak water bottle instead of buying bottled water everywhere I go. Obviously Camelbak probably had American mountain backpackers in mind when they designed the bottle, but are these bottles (ANY compact water bottle with a filtration device) effective in areas where there's all sorts of nasty stuff is in the water?

EDIT: or am I completely stupid, and are these filtration devices purely for taste and not keeping you healthy?

xcdude24 fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 15, 2011

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
What do you guys know about mosquito nets? I'm planning on doing India and rural SE Asia, and I figured this might be a decent investment. Are they too much of a pain to put up in your standard guesthouse room?

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
So I'm from the US, and I'm spending the first seven months of my trip in Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, and India. I just bought a Canon Elph 300 HS (basic point-and-shoot camera), and the voltage on my charger is 100-240V (50/60 Hz). I did a quick Wikitravel check, and here's the voltages for the countries I'm headed to:

Singapore: 230V/50Hz
Indonesia: 220V/50Hz
Malaysia: 230V/50Hz
India: 230V/50Hz

Will a simple adapter work for each of the countries I'm headed to, or do I need something more complex?

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
Can anyone give me a crash course on water filtration? I'm going to be spending a copule weeks in rural Borneo, and I've been told that I'm going to need to filter my water somehow. I've heard that you can get iodine tablets to treat your water, but I don't know much else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
Yeah, I don't have the full details yet, but it looks like I'll mostly be trekking through virgin rainforest, so agricultural runoff shouldn't be too big of a problem. I know safe drinking water is a big deal, but space is going to be a premium on this trip. Is that filtration system you suggested going to hold up in a backpack OK?

I've got a prescription for cipro, and I'll make sure to pick up some immodium/neosporin.

• Locked thread