Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Candygram
Mar 25, 2009

Flowers? Plumber? Wait. I-I'm only a dolphin, ma'am.
This thread could not have come at a better time. My airline just added two layovers for a total of four layovers to my destination, so I was beginning to panic about the chance of losing a bag. I'm traveling to a rural area of Bolivian rain forest for 3 months and for some reason this has been the most difficult trip to pack for.

Unfortunately if I switch to a carry-on bag, there are a few things that I can't take (according to the TSA) such as my defense spray. As a solo female traveler this is pretty important to me, is there a way to bring it without getting caught? Or should I just wing it and buy a knife when I land instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Candygram
Mar 25, 2009

xcdude24 posted:

Great thread; particularly looking forward to suggestions regarding rain gear, especially in regards to tropical climates.

I'm not a computer buff, but I've been told it's smart to carry a USB on you with an internet browser downloaded on it; apparently this helps avert many of the potential dangers of browsing at internet cafes (e.g., accessing your bank account). Can anyone attest to this?

For my trip to South America I got a waterproof jacket that is super thin and stuffs into it's own tiny little pouch when you're not using it: http://www.amazon.com/Sierra-Designs-Mens-Microlight-Jacket/dp/B003DEMKYE/ref=sr_1_3?s=apparel&qlEnable=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1306857171&sr=1-3

I also ordered it in a larger size than I needed so that it covers my rear end and I don't need waterproof pants. The other rain gear I have will be some gumboots, but those are required for where I'll be volunteering anyway.

Candygram
Mar 25, 2009

I was just kidding about the knife thing, no sweat. I like the idea of checking a small bag with the items not allowed in carry on and just stuffing it into my backpack when I pick it up after landing. I agree that I definitely don't want to have more than one bag while I'm traveling 7/8 hours away from the airport.

• Locked thread