Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Should I get a wheeled carry-on with a suiter? I would say most of my travel requires me to bring a suit or two (I wear 44R), but as I've never had luggage with a suiter, I don't know whether it's a better option than folding things myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

edit n/m

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Blinkman987 posted:

Sorry, misunderstanding-- I'm shocked as to how cheap the jacket is. I've seen the hoodless thermoball jacket go for as low as $110 on sale. I'm mostly locked into that jacket as I have a ton of store credit from my jacket return (they could not repair nor give me a suitable replacement) and I need a jacket for those types of conditions for-- ironically enough-- a trip to Torres del Paine in Patagonia next December.
I tried on the jacket at REI the other day when I was waffling over whether to get it or the Atom LT.

I was unimpressed with the Thermoball.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Blinkman987 posted:

What's the best travel water bottle-bladder-flask for casual travel? My Sigg (remember those?!) is a little too bulky for carry on-only travel.
I have a 0.5L roll up one that I used a shitload during a trip to Minnesota.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

qirex posted:

I don't hate the Wirecutter but they do way too much "we eliminated 60% of all options because of some arbitrary feature," in this case a padded hip belt seems to be what the reviewer focused on. The Tortuga looks but the straps don't tuck away plus lack of a single shoulder strap mean I have zero interest in it. It also looks way overengineered, the 8 million tiny pockets, gigantic hip belt, TSA the laptop sleeve, etc. It weighs 5 pounds empty. I'll probably just get an MLC when my bag dies.
Agreed. With their earlier reviews, it was pretty straightforward to have a list of requirements that would work for nearly everyone.

But luggage is like a simpler version of a car, where your usage profile can lead to drastically different recommendations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

qirex posted:

Confession: I've only used the backpack straps on my convertible bag maybe a dozen times total. For some reason I'm OK walking pretty far with it over one shoulder plus I usually have another messenger bag too and wearing that with a backpack on is a huge pain.
IMO, in the 1+1 bag regime we currently live in, a briefcase + rollaboard is the best setup for people doing business stuff, and a backpack + rollaboard is the best for everyone else.

If you're going to be carrying a bunch of poo poo on your back for miles and miles, you should probably use a bag that's specifically designed for carrying a bunch of poo poo on your back for miles and miles, not some duffle bag that added backpack straps as an afterthought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

I got a job in consulting and will probably be doing a fair bit of travelling - current project includes 4 week-long trips in 4 different countries - so its time to get some proper luggage.

At the moment I'm looking at B&R's U119CX(Commuter carry-on) and U121CXW (International carry-on

http://www.briggs-riley.com/shop/type/carry-on/baseline-commuter-expandable-upright-u119cx
http://www.briggs-riley.com/baseline-international-carry-on-expandable-wide-body-upright-u121cxw?p=2

If it was for work only (on a typical fly-in Monday and back Friday schedule) the choice would be easy - 4 shirts, 2 trousers, blazer if I didn't want to wear it on the plane, socks, undies, toiletries and a set of workout clothes would fit into the commuter nicely, but if I'm spending that much on a bag I'd like to use it for holidays too.

As it happens, in a couple of months I'll be going to Scandinavia for 18 days, and I'm wondering if the commuter is too small for that kind of trip. Don't know if its normal or not but I don't keep 17 pairs of underwear so a trip to the laundromat would happen at some point during the trip but I'm not one of those ultralight guys who like doing laundry in the bathroom at the end of each day. Think I could squeeze a couple of pants, a weeks worth of socks, tees, undies, an extra pair of shoes and a pair of slippers, a pullover and a hardshell (marmot precip) in the Commuter?
I bought the 20" Travelpro FlightCrew 4, their rollaboard for flight attendants. It was just a little smaller than I liked.

I sold it at a $60 loss to a friend and bought the 22" model. I'm super happy with it.

• Locked thread