Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

quote:

Patagonia Capilene T-shirt - If I had to pick one T-shirt to bring it'd be this one. It's especially good for hotter temperatures and, in my opinion, is the best sort of what's often referred to as "golf shirts" meaning a comfortable feeling synthetic T-shirt (or polo shirt) that wicks moisture well. You will, however, find lots of T-shirts for sale wherever you go and if you find a good one you might end up throwing this nice capilene away so maybe you should have just brought a poo poo shirt to begin with. Oh and I know this is technically polyester but what makes it good as a shirt is the way the polyester is made and then woven -- you still don't want a dress shirt that's made from polyester as they don't take that kind of care in the dress shirt world when employing polyester. At least not yet.
I've heard these synthetic shirts can get pretty smelly after a while (even with regular washing), have you had any issues with that during extended travel?

People recommend merino wool shirts because of their odor resistance but 1) they're drat expensive and 2) they don't seem to be that durable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

NoDamage posted:

I've heard these synthetic shirts can get pretty smelly after a while (even with regular washing), have you had any issues with that during extended travel?

People recommend merino wool shirts because of their odor resistance but 1) they're drat expensive and 2) they don't seem to be that durable.
I ended up finding a few of these shirts on sale and tried them out, they do retain body odor much more strongly than my standard cotton shirts. It does wash out, but I wonder how long the anti-odor treatment will last with repeated washings.

I'm going to try out some merino wool t-shirts from Smartwool/Icebreaker and see if they work any better.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Sheep-Goats posted:

How long is a while?

Nylon is a good pant material, but I can't imagine it being comfortable enough for shirts. I've had some of those REI adventures pants for years and they don't smell at all, however if the nylon they're made of were finished or woven or whatever in the way that capilene is then maybe it would.
ExOfficio makes a series of T shirts using the same nylon material/weave as their Give N Go boxers. I haven't personally tried them, and they seem more like undershirts than normal t-shirts, but I imagine they would be fairly comfortable.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Hummer Driving human being posted:

I have to plug Icebreaker clothing. I was in France for a month and wore two Icebreaker t-shirts the whole time, rotating every couple of days. I did wear deodorant every day but it was a long time before my BO was noticeable. They are very thin but can be layered for warmth, especially with the heavier weight fabrics. My green shirt started showing pitstains which is a mystery to me because I've never had pitstains since switching for anti-perspirant to deodorant.

Very expensive for shirts but I think they're worth it.

https://www.icebreaker.com
How good is the durability in your experience? Everything I've read points to these shirts being awesome, but a ton of people complain that they wear out (e.g. develop holes) fairly quickly, which is unfortunate considering the cost.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Uncle Ivan posted:

These look good. Which would you go for? The GoLite is cheaper. Do you think the Timbuk2 is worth the premium. Other bags I've heard mentioned were the Osprey Porter 46 and the Patagonia MLC. Do you have any experience with those? Price is fairly comparable throughout.
I've owned both of these and ended up returning the Porter 46 and trading it for the Patagonia MLC.

The Porter 46 is a decent bag but a few things turned me off from it:

1) Too many loose straps to get caught on things.
2) The shape is a bit awkward and doesn't maximize use of space compared to the MLC style bags.
3) There's basically only one giant compartment which makes organization more challenging.
4) The zipper for the main compartment is around top of the bag rather than around the circumference, I personally find that the types of bags that open up flat like books are easier to pack with.

On the other hand, I *love* the Patagonia MLC. I've been traveling full time with it for just about a year now and it's held up incredibly well. There's been essentially no wear on the seams/zippers/straps and I expect to be able to use it for many more years. Plus, Patagonia is known for having an awesome warranty policy (e.g if it breaks, take it into a Patagonia store and walk out with a new one).

A tip if you end up getting the MLC: the rear pocket perfectly fits an 18" packing folder (which you can put all of your shirts in), leaving room in the main compartment for your other stuff. When you go to pack, you can pack the main compartment first (which will be easier to fit things into without the rear pocket), and then once the main compartment is zipped up, the folder will still slide easily into the rear pocket.

I haven't tried out the higher end bags (e.g. Tom Bihn or Red Oxx) so I can't compare against them, but then again at this point I don't really see any reason to switch.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Fists Up posted:

If not what are the outdoor stores in the SF area? I'll head east through Oakland and then towards Stockton/Modesto from SF first up and will probably be stopping somewhere along the way to stock up on all I need for 5 weeks
There's an REI in SF that you can get pretty much everything you need at. Then again you could probably find a bunch of stuff on Craigslist if you don't mind getting buying used (wouldn't hurt to look). I sold my tent and sleeping bags on Craigslist in SF to some guy going to Burning Man last year. :)

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

qirex posted:

Might as well post about shoes.

Ecco updated their Track 6 GTX so it almost looks like an actual shoe and not orthopedic footwear!

I haven't tried them yet but they look promising. [$210]
These look awesome. I've been traveling with the Track 5's for a year and a half now and they have held up incredibly well, plus they're super comfortable for walking, but the sole is a bit too aggressive looking. The Track 6 looks a lot more like a normal dressy shoe.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I saw people talking poo poo about the newer Smartwool socks on Amazon, confirm/deny?
I've owned two pairs of Smartwool running socks for about a year now, and they've completely worn through the heel. For thicker socks like hiking socks where there's more material it's probably fine, but if you prefer thinner socks I hesitate to recommend them.

Personally, I've just replaced mine with Icebreaker socks which are supposedly much more durable.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
Vivobarefoot makes a bunch of barefoot style shoes that might work for you. Personally I'm interested in finding a casual looking barefoot shoe that can double as a running shoe. Last time I carried a pair of New Balance Minimus Zero shoes but they were only good for running so a lot of the time they were just sitting in my bag taking up extra weight.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
Definitely check out The Dorkroom threads. Apparently the Sony RX100 is the holy grail of point and shoots these days, but the Canon S110 is still a good choice.

Mirrorless/compact systems are a good compromise as well, personally I carried a Panasonic G3 with a pancake lens during my trip and was very happy with it. If I had to buy a new camera today it would probably be the Panasonic GX7.

I would definitely skip the DSLR though, too bulky and heavy. Most of the people I met who had a DSLR had to carry it around in a specific camera bag, and the entire setup was not light weight (especially if they brought extra lenses), and they had to worry about keeping it safe from damage/theft. Not worth it, IMO.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Tomato Soup posted:

Charles Schwab refunds you ATM fees at the end of each month. Also every country has a low fee/free ATM, you just need to research and withdraw as much you can from those ATMs you can if they're tricky to find.
I would also recommend Schwab if you're from the US, the ATM refund is great.

Also as far as no foreign transaction fee credit cards go, I'll go ahead and recommend the Chase Sapphire.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

stik posted:

I like the Prana Zion pants for most everything and traveling especially. http://www.amazon.com/prAna-Stretch-32-Inch-Inseam-Medium/dp/B005W4MSWW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379284101&sr=8-1&keywords=prana+zion

They are super comfy
Holy crap, thanks for this recommendation. I looked at Prana's site and found the Brion, which appears to be a variant of the Zion without the cargo leg pocket, so it looks completely like a normal pant. But the fabric is still stretchy, quick-drying, and water resistant.

I tried on a pair and ended up buying two. Because of the stretch fabric they are way more comfortable than the REI Adventures pants I had previously, and they are water resistant whereas the Adventures are not.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

feigning interest posted:

What is your guys' favorite travel raincoat?

My personal criteria:
-Zip front
-Hood (roll-away or not idc)
-Thin, lightweight
-Doesn't look too 'technical'

Extreme packability and underarm zippers are a huge plus. I overheat in my core/armpits easily and armpit zips are a godsend for me.

I currently own a few different choices that teeter between "super lightweight/packable but look dorky" and "work great yet look very technical and could probably pack smaller" and none have armpit zippers.

If a Filson or Barbour jacket was easy to travel with I wouldn't have a problem but I like to travel carry-on only and waxed cotton canvas/twill is bulky and heavy and too warm to bring to a warm climate. I like having an unlined outer shell so i can wear it over a tshirt if it's warm+wet or I can layer up if its actually cold and use it as a shell.

Anyway, I've been looking at Marmot and Exofficio's offering but was unsure if anyone had a preference or a better option.
Are you really wearing a raincoat so often that style is a major concern? Most of the time my raincoat sat in my bag because 1) it wasn't raining or 2) it was raining, but I wasn't walking around outside for long enough to take it out and wear it. I think a lightweight packable shell is the way to go, unless you're going to be trekking through the jungle for 3 weeks during rainy season or something, in which case why do you care how technical it looks?

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
I'm surprised there isn't a bike touring thread (either here, or in YLLS). The gear you need is quite specialized compared to general travel though. Aside from the obvious bike/racks/panniers you'll also need cycling specific clothing, and lots of people carry camping gear too.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

The Worst Muslim posted:

Don't tell me I have to wear that skin tight latex bullshit.
Hah no, but if you're going to be riding a bike every day for extended periods of time, you'll probably want some kind of padded short or liner, as well as padded gloves. Of course, "cycling around Japan" is rather vague, so I don't know if it is actually your intention to do long distance touring, as opposed to traveling normally to various cities and renting bikes to get around or something like that.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
After spending a year living out of my Patagonia MLC it's time to downsize to a smaller bag for shorter trips. Anyone have recommendations for 20-30L bags? Here are a few I'm considering:

Patagonic Transport Pack 30L
Minaaal Carry On (This might be too big.)
Arcteryx Blade 24
Goruck GR1
Tortuga Air
Tom Bihn Western Flyer

I'm mostly looking for a backpack with a laptop sleeve that is small enough to fit under an airline seat (tired of fiddling with overhead bins), but still has enough space for a few days worth of clothes. A clamshell design for the main compartment would be a plus. Price isn't an issue as long as the bag is of sufficient quality that I can expect to buy it for life.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

marmot25 posted:

I've only had experience with the GR1 but it has served me incredibly well for a couple years now on multi-week international trips (with a light load of laundry about once a week). It's certainly bombproof--I use it for day to day work as well and if I ever do something dumb like explode my lunch container of gazpacho in it all I have to do is throw it in the tub, scrub it out with some soap and hang it to dry in the sun and it's good as new. The outside MOLLE can be useful for lashing things like a wet pair of shoes to the pack with a carabiner. I put in one of their field pockets for a bit more internal division, but depending on the trip sometimes I'll leave that at home and just use the whole internal space.

sellouts posted:

I use my Tom bihn tri star for this and it works wonderfully. The laptop on the middle section is very well protected with their laptop sleeve that is buckled in.

Thanks for the thoughts. I might just get a bunch of these and test them out in person, and then keep the one I like the best and send the rest back.

Blinkman987 posted:

Torn between MLC and Osprey Porter 46 with my 20% off Coupon.

MLC is more my style, felt more incognito while wearing it. Can wear it on my shoulder, though I'm not too sure about that when it's fully packed. Thin pads for the backpack straps.

Osprey Porter is definitely a backpack first. Holding it with straps put away felt odd. Huge, made me feel like a turtle. Definitely more robust, had more support. Much cheaper.

Any opinions between the two?
I had a Porter 46 and ended up returning it for the MLC. I found that the Porter had kind of an awkward shape and too many straps (I found the compression straps to be kind of pointless and just got in the way). The MLC, being more rectangular, is easier to pack and walk around with fully loaded. I can't speak to the durability of the Porter because I only kept it for a month or so, but I've had the MLC for about 5 years now and it's still in great shape.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

cadenza posted:

Does anyone own a Tortuga Air? Thinking about picking one up because it looks like the ideal size but wondered if it's worth the slight increase in price over other "good carry on backpacks" I've seen like the Osprey Farpoint or Porter.
Just got one to try out, haven't gone on a trip with it yet, but the construction seems solid and the layout seems nice enough (opens flat instead of top loading main compartment, and the expandable compartment gives you a bit more flexibility when you need it). Sold out until July though.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
Icebreaker is awesome stuff, with one big caveat: it's quite fragile. On average my shirts last about 18-24 months before they start developing holes and need to be replaced.

Ultimately I think the benefits (odor resistance and quick drying) are worth it, especially for travel, and have switched most of my shirts over to merino wool. Just be aware that they won't last forever and will need to be replaced.

Oh, and Icebreaker boxers are way better than ExOfficio. Especially when it's hot out.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

prinneh posted:

I don't have a lot of money, but I do have an icebreaker long-sleeved shirt that I use for hiking, running and skiing. It has lasted me 5 years at this point, with regular use. Can I ask if you handwash your wool with soap meant for wool?

In the winter, I usually wash it once every week/two weeks (because it's only used for running in the cold months) and when I do, I soak it with around 30 degree water and like 2 drops of wool deturgent in a sink for 15-25 minutes, then I rinse out the soap carefully, afterwards I use a dry towel to "roll up" the shirt to get most of the moisture out, then I lay the shirt on a clothes drying stand so that it's laid out flat and in the correct 'shape'. :bigtran:
When traveling I typically hand wash in the sink out of necessity, but at home I'll just throw it in the machine following the care instructions. Honestly I don't think it makes much of a difference in terms of wear and tear compared to other factors like the weight of the fabric and how often they're worn. My 150-weight T-shirts and boxers tend to wear out the quickest because I'm wearing them all the time, but I do have some 200-weight long-sleeved shirts that have lasted about 5 years too.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Saladman posted:

Does anyone here have a favorite daypack that is small/collapsable and can easily fit into a larger bag? I'm going around South America for four months, starting mid-September, and want to be able to leave my large bag in hotels/apartments sometimes while still having a reasonably-large bag to take around town.

The best so far I've been able to find is the Lightweight Travel Tote by Patagonia or maybe the New Outlander travel backpack? I haven't found so many alternatives yet. Patagonia's thing isn't carried on Amazon also which is annoying.
The Tortuga Daypack just came out. I'll get mine on Wednesday and will post my thoughts on it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with taking a laptop and tablet, assuming you're carrying one and your girlfriend is carrying the other. The only issue is the risk of theft.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Blinkman987 posted:

Looking to refresh my travel pants. I have two pairs of REI Adventure pants and they're getting pretty shabby after 6 years of use. Mostly the issue is the pant losing the little shape it has, especially at the waist. I'll still wear them for hiking, but they're pretty shot for travel.

I'd like something sharper for travel. The poly stuff like the REI pants always have that slightly wrinkled look to it and the grain doesn't help. Is the best play to just find some wool dress pants I don't care about anymore or at the thrift shop and get them fitted?
For travel purposes I would look for something with 4-way stretch - so much more comfortable than regular pants. I used to own the REI Adventures and switched to stretchy pants, and there's no way in hell I'm ever going back. For some reason the yoga brands have gotten into travel pants:

Prana Brion - This is the only one I have personal experience with. Quite comfortable and the fit is so much better than the REI pants.
Lululemon abc pant - Released fairly recently to positive reviews.

On the higher, dressier, more expensive, end, you could consider one of the technical fabric companies:

Outlier New OGs
Ministry of Supply Aviator 2 or Aviator Chinos

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

caberham posted:

These guys seem pretty decent :Bluff works, they have relaxed fit and regular fit.

http://shop.bluffworks.com/
Yeah I forgot to include these guys, although I have heard the fabric is a little "plasticky" in texture, whatever that means. Outlier has also recently released a lightweight pant with thinner fabric called the Futureworks. Cheaper too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
Depends on what you're doing. If you're walking around a lot, hiking, or biking, having a daypack is way more convenient than carrying around a shopping bag all day.

• Locked thread