Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Quick question on people's opinions on duffel bags. I've got a waterproof 50L one that I take on diving trips for the odd time I need to take stuff in the boat and generally to stop my clothes getting soaking wet stuffed in the car boot with wet kit. In terms of packing the whole top opens up nice and wide but there's only a single shoulder strap and carry handle. I've been thinking of just taking this if I end up going travelling with a friend but am I going to massively regret not just having a backpack? Alternatively any things I can do to minimise discomfort?

For the record this is pretty much what I've got though a slightly older model that's been discontinued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Sheep-Goats posted:

If you're a young guy in good shape and traveling for a week or two you can make do with it. You'll definetly feel like you're lugging it around at times but depending on what kind of travel you're doing you might only have to contend with that a handful of times.

What do you have planned?

One other thing to consider is that if it's a nice bag that you use a lot at home you might not want to expose it to the rigors of travel, too.

Not really got anything planned as yet. Friend really wants to visit SE Asia, probably Vietnam and bum around some before he joins the Army but we've got nothing concrete. Really was just asking in case anyone was going to say they've taken a duffel bag and it was hell to lug around by the end of a week.

The point about the rigours of travel is a good one though, it's a fairly tough bag but it isn't one I'd really like to see get slashed or torn. Thanks for the input.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Ryanair can be cartoonishly strict about (at least on flights I've been on) with anyone with either a hard case or a case that looks on the large side. If it doesn't fit easily into the bin it's EUR50 to check it or leave it behind. As has been said if it's a soft looking case they generally don't bother as you can usually squash it in but you still need to put laptop bags, etc. inside your carry on. Charging for carry on in the bins though seems its just asking for no legroom as everyone starts mashing as much as they can under the seat.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

The Arc'Teryx Covert C/O (the carry on size case :downs:) is on the pricier end of bags and lacks padded handles but I've found really nice in terms of carrying capacity and is actually pretty easy to carry. If you're going to be taking all your belongings with you everyday then you'll be better off with a proper backpack but if you want a nice carry-on pack with lots of space, a good selection of pockets (but not so many you can never find where you left stuff) that's easy transporting then it's a really nice bag. There's a handle on each side and the backpack straps are actually reasonably comfortable. The shoulder strap configuration feels a little precarious though if it's fully loaded but I might just be a little paranoid about clip strength (had the bag pretty fully loaded).

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

CelestialScribe posted:

I've flown a huge number of times, still do, and have never had a problem.

I mean I get the security of having stuff on you at all times but I think you may be overestimating the frequency at which checked luggage mistakes occur.

It's not so much the frequency but the massive inconvenience if something does happen. If you're going somewhere on holiday and taking one flight, chances are nothing happens and if it does then you'll probably get your bag to the hotel a day or two late. Bags actually vanishing are unusual (although recently a friend of mine had some visitors in China who were bringing him out some prescription medicine he couldn't/wouldn't get there. They put the medicine in one of their checked bags and of course that was the one that disappeared. I think it got back to them after 6 weeks or so). The problem if you're flying from country to country is that even if your luggage just ends up on a flight the next day you might be going on to somewhere before it gets to your hotel and the whole thing becomes a clusterfuck. The chances of something happening also go up a lot as you're taking a number of flights and if you've not got a lot of time in a place even just having to spend a couple of extra hours in the airport can gently caress with your schedule a lot.

Basically if you're just flying somewhere for a holiday and keeping a central base for a couple of weeks then checked baggage isn't any kind of worry. If you're country hopping on planes and have a relatively tight schedule then the risk avoided and cumulative time saved waiting for luggage is probably worth it. Anything in between is, well, in between.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Little late but on the shoe question, I've got a couple of pairs of Merrel barefoot shoes, one for ruining and one more casual. They're super comfy and very durable. If you're on unfree UK and have money to burn Harry's of London do smart looking loafers with vibram soles but I spent a week or so being tempted by then before deciding that their just too much for what they are.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

The very slightly less trainery version I've got is the Life Reach, which is half way between canvas shoes and a loafer. I'd think that you'd get away with one of the leather ones like the Tour. Alternatively consider just getting a pair of leather loafers with a rubber sole and combine it with some waking shoes that will survive what you need it to.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

I've got a couple of Over-board bags (20L backpack and 60L duffel) and they're both pretty solid in general terms. Warning on the duffel bag, the strap is a little thing and the little pad thing on it tends to get twisted up and useless. I also managed to break one of the clips on the shoulder strap in like a week (plastic snap hook thing) that they replaced free of charge with a heavier duty one. Bear in mind waterproof with diving stuff means that any dive kit will stay soaking wet and/or mouldy. I'd advise a small waterproof bag to keep wet stuff separated/take things safely on the boat for the day and a regular travelling bag.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

crowtribe posted:

You don't happen to know with the OB bags whether they've upgraded all their straps/clips since then to heavy duty?

Afraid not, I know that their bigger sizes come with heavy duty standard so I think it may have been just good customer service. They UK service was great so I'd guess you could probably get it if you ask nicely when you order it. Also it only broke when I was trying to unclip it and reattach it, not something the smaller ones seemed to be designed for. I think they'd have been fine if I'd just left them.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

I've had shoes that are comfortable for a few hours but a weekend of lots of walking would leave me sore, it's a problem with shoes that have no padding and are basically totally flat with little padding.

One option might be some of the Merrel barefoot shoes, the more casual style ones. I've got some (can't remember the model but they're canvas style material) and they have just enough padding and are comfortably fitted that they're great for walking around town in.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

General experience, washing is going to add far, far more to the wear of your clothes than actual wearing if you're a 1st world modern type. I know that when I left home I suddenly found clothes didn't turn worn and faded after 6 months because I was washing things at a 30-40 degrees and rack drying them whereas my mum's instinct was to wash everything at max temp/spin speed and the same for drying. If you've got anything vaguely delicate (and wool is delicate) hot temps or machine drying will kill them super fast. Unless you're wearing them for weeks at a time actually doing stuff, you probably don't need to worry so much about general wear.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

I've had to make a few trips recently for formal occasions. Never really had to bother travelling for any length of time with a suit before and it was a bit of an rear end, the suit bag it was supplied in is fine for overnight trips but not great if going to more than one place or train trip. Any recommendations on suit bags for actual travel?

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I personally hate dealing with a suit bag, I usually wear mine on flights if I need to travel with it. Alternatively you can find some videos on Youtube about how to pack one in a suitcase, it involves kinda turning it halfway inside out and folding the shoulder/sleeve into the other.

Yeah I'd rather just wear it but in cases where I need to wear suits for 2-3 days I don't really want to be in the same one the whole time. I've looked and seen a couple of options that are a bit more robust and have other compartments that might work as a carry-on with other essentials. I'll look into the suitcase packing tips though, that would probably be ideal.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Quick check if anyone had used the Osprey far point 80 and has an opinion about it? I'm looking for a new travel case that can hold a bit more then the 60L duffel that I have but still be easily portable. Not necessarily looking for backpacking stuff but easier to carry than a duffel. I am constitutionally incapable of using a wheelie case.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

I got to bring some caviar back from Iran when I was there and the flight crew were more than happy to sit that in the fridge for me for the flight. I'd be willing to bet if crew are nice enough to do that for a something as idiotic as fish eggs they'd be willing to do it for medication that lets you walk. Probably best to check with the airline in advance as well though just in case there's an issue with liquids

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Question on travel shoes fellow travel dadders. My previous favourites for travelling from place to place were an old pair of Merrell Tough Glove type (but fabric not leather) that are finally coming apart after a few years of decent use. I like the barefoot type for travel and would rather not be wearing super bright running shoe type stuff, the previous ones wouldn't win any beauty contests but were comfy and low key. I've seen the Merrell Slipper, which seems the same just without laces, but it's not available in the UK apparently. Does anyone have experience with it before I look into trans Atlantic shipping?

Also after being out and about in norther Patagonia recently in a pair of super light shoes I'm looking at getting something which can stand up to rain and a bit of walking. The Merrell Jungle Moc waterproofs look like exactly what I want but, again, not available in the UK (they have some Icebreaker special edition type version which is twice the regular price). Are the regular Mocs able to deal with a reasonable amount of water i.e. walking around wet grass/some mud or out and about in town while it's raining?

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

qirex posted:

Vivo Barefoot is based in the UK, I don't go for that kind of shoe but they'll probably be easier to try out where you are.

Might be nice as an alternative travel shoe, I'll have to have a look when I'm back in the UK.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Cool thanks, this gives me some UK options then. Kind of wish there was some easy way for manufacturers to sell models from outside local markets sometimes though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

I bought some waterproof bags from Lomo that I use for transporting liquids in luggage. They've usually got a roll top type sealing thing and are super light in various sizes. I imagine something like that would be much safer than a zip loc.

Also I actually bought a pair of the Vivo eco rif that are really light. Hopefully I haven't gotten one of the bad quality sort.

• Locked thread