Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
What's a good travel pack that comes in different lengths? Right now I have an Arcteryx Silo in a Tall size that fits me almost well (I'm 6'5" with a long torso" but it's top load which is a pain in the rear end. However, it's the pack that comes closest to actually fitting me in terms of hip belt/sternum strap. I travel with a fair amount of camera gear, I tried not using the waist belt, and it's killer. So basically, I'm looking for a front load travel backpack for tall people. Price is no object. The Miura from Arcteryx looks like it also comes in a tall size, does anyone have any experience with that pack in terms of how convenient it is to pack/unpack? Or can anyone recommend some other manufacturers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001

qirex posted:

If I was going to buy a new bag now I'd probably get either the GoLite or the Timbuk2 Wingman, I've looked at both in stores. As far as dressy-ish shirts surf clothing companies like Quiksilver, Hurley and O'Neil make collared poly blend shirts that you couldn't wear to the opera but still look better than t-shirts and don't wrinkle as much as cotton dress shirts. For pants I have a pair of Nike golf pants that can pass for slacks and dry really fast.

These look good. Which would you go for? The GoLite is cheaper. Do you think the Timbuk2 is worth the premium. Other bags I've heard mentioned were the Osprey Porter 46 and the Patagonia MLC. Do you have any experience with those? Price is fairly comparable throughout.

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3482778

I'm selling my Granite Gear pack if anyone is interested. It's more of a hiking pack, however, it's ultralight and panel loading which makes it better for travel. The hip harness and support is extremely comfortable so if you're doing some sort of more trekking-type travel, this is ideal.

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
Never heard about bundle packing so I just looked it up. What's the point? It just seems like it makes everything really really hard to get to where you need to unfold the whole goddamn thing to get a T-shirt. I just have a packing cube where I throw all my socks and underwear, throw in a few T-shirts, 1-2 pairs of pants. Any weather specific items (jackets, sweaters, etc.) just go on the bottom. My friend rolls his T-shirts but I don't think it saves that much space vs. throwing them in in the regular folded form that you get them back from laundry in. If you hang your T-shirts I guess you can roll them.

Does bundle packing really save that much space? And if so, why are you bringing so much stuff anyway?

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
MLC attracts less attention. I like mine but wish it had more pockets for organization. I don't think the lack of hip belt or strap padding is a problem. Never tried the Porter.

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
If you need to bring a suit, yes, I've found that's the best option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
Depends on the country. The only country where I needed a lot of cash was Cuba and there it was pretty stressful carrying around $1000-1500 USD, although it's a totally safe country. I kept it scattered among my person and some in my bag.

Everywhere else, I carry like $50 USD equivalent in local currency and use cards wherever possible. I don't think I used cash in Europe once.

• Locked thread