Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Thoguh posted:

Depends on how full you have it. I've gotten it into the overhead bin on small regional jets with no issue when I don't have it stuffed. Full to the brim I've had to gate check it on RJs but able to squeeze it into the overhead bin of a large jet. As long as you don't have it so full that you have to use the extension zipper you probably can squeeze it into being carry on legal.

I'll second that. My wife and I both took ours on a trip to South Padre last week and had a flight on a tiny American Eagle RJ from Brownsville to Dallas. Her bag was a tight squeeze even with the expansion zipper closed, but I think she had some junk in the outside pocket and the backpack straps out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

While looking for a day pack that will easily fit into my carry on I found this packable messenger bag on sale at Timberland.

http://shop.timberland.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12214221

I couldn't find any reviews, but I haven't seen any other products like this one so I pulled the trigger.

Timberland's website is having a sale this weekend. Use code MEMDAY12 for 20% off and free shipping on orders over $100. I took the opportunity to stock up on some SmartWool socks that are also on sale with a buy one get one 50% off deal.

Also, if anyone here plays the credit card miles game, you can shop Timberland.com through Chase's Ultimate Rewards Mall and get an extra 4 points per dollar spent.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Kobayashi posted:

I'm looking for a murse to fly with. I don't ever check bags anymore, but I don't like to get up an fiddle with the overhead bins when I'm flying either. I need something to carry my books, iPad, headphones, notebook and pen, etc. -- something I can stuff in the seat pocket or underneath. I've been using a travel cube lately, but I wanted to see if anyone had any better suggestions. I don't need a full backpack or laptop bag.

Here you go, this one is designed to wrap around the tray table.

http://www.geniuspack.com/collections/carry-on/products/flight-bag

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Have you guys all seen this yet?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597538543/the-worlds-best-travel-jacket-with-15-features-bau

If it is made with decent quality the hoodie might be pretty good for wearing on planes/trains.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Outrail posted:

I'm genuinely impressed how confidently it straddles the line between cool and dumb.

I'd have to look more when it comes out but would probably buy one when my current microfleece dies (edit: the 'sweatshirt' is cotton, if it was polartec I'd definitely get obe).

I'd end up using the pockets for the wrong things but pen/zipper, eye mask and glove things are cool. Neck brace is eh, but I think I saw him put an open coke can in it and that is A grade retard right there.

I can't tell you how many times I've been out and about with half a can of soda that I want to save for later, but I just don't have any pockets to handle that type of thing. This hoodie could save me dozens of dollars a year in beverage costs!

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Blinkman987 posted:

Do any of you have generic empty bottles that you store shampoo/soap/liquids in? The issue with most bottles is that they have a screw cap (good) but then a cheap snap top (bad). The snap top breaks and basically I'm hosed.

GoToob bottles are very nice, but spendy.

http://www.amazon.com/humangear-HG0187-Humangear-GoToob-Travel/dp/B003GSKT6S

If you can afford merino wool though, they're not that bad.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Monoprice is putting out some good, cheap headphones these days. I have their noise-cancelling earbuds and really like them for travelling. Really helps with the constant background noise on airplanes.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Every time I check a bag it comes back missing a zipper pull. Once I checked a bag between Beijing and Shanghai and during the flight, a container of some sort of foul liquid cheese in another passengers bag broke open and spilled all over the luggage compartment. I got off easy, my bag only got a little bit on it, but it still stank. Between that, and hating to wait at the baggage claim, I try to never check a bag.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

I'm looking for a shoe that will keep my feet reasonably happy after a day of pounding pavement or cobblestones in the city, but still look decent for going out to a nice restaurant for dinner. I've previously worn desert boots during my travels, (both Clarks and Allen Edmonds) and being leather or suede they look alright, but killed my feet at the end of the day. I'd love something more comfortable, but don't want anything that looks too much like I'm headed to the gym. I feel like I've been looking for a shoe like this for years with no luck, but maybe I'm missing something.

Any suggestions?

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Blinkman987 posted:

Edit: I've found that Superfeet make all the difference in a chukka boot for me in how long I can wear them.

Maybe I just need to find a decent insole. I tried some cheap stuff from Target, but it somehow just made things worse.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Nice comparison of backpack style carry-ons over at the Wirecutter.
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-carry-on-travel-bags/

Their travel gear section is interesting too if you haven't seen it yet.
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/travel-guide/

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Different bags for different trips.

For business trips, I favor a roll aboard and a messenger bag that slides over the pop-up handle, since that usually only involves wheeling around the airport because I'll take an Uber to the hotel.

For vacations to Europe where I'll usually take public transportation to/from the airport, I hate trying to roll over cobblestones, up and down curbs or stairs, or whatever is between the metro stop and the hotel, so I'll take a backpack style bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Hadlock posted:

If you're just using cooking oil as a non-stick coating, a half size can of PAM does a great job.

Call me a hipster if you want, but I use lard to grease my luggage these days. Sure it has a stronger smell, but it's all natural and I'm supporting local farmers by buying it at the farmer's market. Works great for me on both hard and soft sided bags. They come shooting down the baggage claim carousel without sticking.

• Locked thread