Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Chris Poe posted:

Am I an idiot for planning on backpacking Europe for two weeks wearing a pair of Vans with a decent insole?

For two weeks you'll be fine. If you'll be walking a lot that day I guess people in the army wear those little nylon footies under their socks so the sock doesn't rub directly on the skin which helps avoid blisters. It's more the blisters that are lovely than the sore feet.

You might get chased away from a few ritzy bars or something but if Vans are your normal shoes you're probably not interested in that anyway. Plus, like Quirex said, if it turns out your Vans aren't adequate they do happen to have pretty good shoe stores in Europe with your size in stock (most likely).

I put up the cold weather stuff. Now it's on to electronics, which I'm going to have to research a bit because that stuff is always changing.

raton fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ribsauce posted:

thanks again for this thread. I am doing my last minute packing and the bundle packing suggestion on the prior page was clutch. I am going to make a travel blog and will post my packing steps and comments on it. Also will give some good pictures of the bag I recommended on the prior page. I am bringing more than I meant to but most of the extra stuff are clothes I was planning on getting rid of so they probably won't make it back.

Looking forward to what you have to say.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a light weight, quick drying button down shirt, preferably short sleeve?

I'd be interested to see if anyone has suggestions along these lines. I'm fairly set on cotton long sleeve button downs as described in the OP (the sleeves are often rolled up when I wear them unless there's sun, mosquitoes, or too much aircon) but there should be something out there more in line with what Cheesemaster is looking for, too.

As for your shoes, will they be your only pair or a hiking specific pair?

raton fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 14, 2011

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
"Travel Dad" term rules.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Travel Dad 200 hehe

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
"Look at all this traffic. Look at this traffic. (30 seconds of fumbling with the wind muff while the audio goes PHTBHTTBTHHHBFFFBT.) Debbie isn't this crazy? (No response at all from Debbie.) Crazy traffic. (Pans to two girls walking by in school uniforms, a street vendor adjusting his cart, back to the fairly unremarkable traffic.)"

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Bong Goblin posted:

How's the electronics research going?

I did a little bit but I'm fairly adverse to figuring out the ins and outs of gadgets myself (I usually refuse to buy technology until it's well established just for a better price point). I'll at least get something general up by Sunday. Sorry for the long delay, I've been doing a lot of extra stuff these last two weeks (school applications, volunteering, laughing at the unfortunate, etc).

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I wrote some cop out paragraphs about cameras and phones and computers please make some suggestions about those paragraphs if you would. Check the bottom of the text wall on the first page.

I'm going to talk about "OMG will I be able to charge my computer" in the adapters section so don't worry I didn't forget about that.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Why you would bring a tablet traveling:
http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-KeyFolio-Bluetooth-Keyboard-K39294US/dp/B0043TB9D6

Uhhhhhhhh I think they just paid 600 bucks for a netbook.

Edit: I guess if they already have a tablet that's a more reasonable idea than going and buying a netbook to bring.

raton fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 18, 2011

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, maybe I'll stress it more but low light (and fast action) photography will make up a lot more of your travel pictures than you think, and will comprise a huge amount of the good ones that people actually want to see when you get home. I'd much rather have a P&S with a 3x zoom that can take bangin' pictures at night than a P&S with a 7x zoom that blurs on heavily zoomed pictures even if it's just overcast out (which is what I have now). A fast lens on a DSLR would be essential. Also I should add something about underwater photography.

Edit: I'll add that last part as a quote, quirex. Thanks.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for mentioning those lighthouse shirts, I'll work them in eventually. For anyone who didn't click the links they're lightweight merino wool which means they're soft and not hot (unless layered in which case they'd be toasty as gently caress) and have all the non-stinking/wicking benefits of wool. However, they're probably not terribly durable, are expensive, and may require hand washing and/or drycleaning.

How did you wash yours HUMMER DRIVING human being

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ilovepy posted:

Is it possible to have a pack-able wide brimmed hat and not look like a Travel Dad? Hats are dorky but so much better than sunscreen. My neck is red enough as it is.

Yeah Travel Dad has a monopoly on that look so there's nothing you can do. I brought one with me to Angkor and was glad I did then, but took it off when people took the requisite photos of me standing next to a big two thousand year old stone face.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
You should be able to bring your ukelele and your murse, no problem.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Azur's got my back. I'd probably bring one or two less shirts but so long as your other items are in line you'll be okay. The only thing I will add is that you should try to make sure goon number two is in line. It sucks waiting at the carousel for your bag, waiting for someone else's is worse.

As for the camera stuff I don't know poo poo :v:

raton fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 30, 2011

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The OP is done. I did a kind of ghetto job on the last few entries compared to the rest of the thread but medic school starts on Tuesday and I didn't want to leave this unfinished when that starts going on.

If you have book advice or particular travel adapter advice or other entertainment advice or whatever let me know and I'll try to incorporate it.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Bringing more shirts than underwear is weird.

You plan to wear your socks two days in a row? I'd rather rewear a shirt than a pair of socks.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Tripod alternative: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLlJl7TbXTA

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I don't quite understand what you're looking for -- a normal cold weather jacket that you can add to a t shirt and be okay in but that can also serve double duty on a hike, or some kind of warmer than usual hiking jacket, or just general hiking gear suggestions, or what? Is it mainly the style issue?

Uncle Ivan posted:

What's a good travel pack that comes in different lengths? Right now I have an Arcteryx Silo in a Tall size that fits me almost well (I'm 6'5" with a long torso" but it's top load which is a pain in the rear end. However, it's the pack that comes closest to actually fitting me in terms of hip belt/sternum strap. I travel with a fair amount of camera gear, I tried not using the waist belt, and it's killer. So basically, I'm looking for a front load travel backpack for tall people. Price is no object. The Miura from Arcteryx looks like it also comes in a tall size, does anyone have any experience with that pack in terms of how convenient it is to pack/unpack? Or can anyone recommend some other manufacturers?

This is a hard one but FWIW I don't think fit is nearly as big a deal for a travel pack as it is for a hiking pack. I'm 6'3" myself and have never really noticed whether my travel packs fit well or not, it's rare that I actually have it on my back for more than forty minutes or whatever. But maybe I'm just insensitive or have been lucky with my packs.

raton fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 10, 2011

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe this one is still a little bit too outdoorsy but I have one and use it as my nicer winter coat. A bit heavy for hiking, though:

http://www.filson.com/products/mackinaw-cruiser.10043.html?fromCat=true&fvalsProduct=mens&fmetaProduct=10

Those things Quirex posted look pretty good.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Hummer Driving human being posted:

I don't want this thread to die because it has given me some really good advice.

I bought the eBags Weekender eTech Convertible (http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/weekender-etech-convertible/15026?productid=56582) that is mentioned in the OP and so far it looks well built for its price. My dad used it on an overnight trip and his only negative comment was that there are too many buckles and zippers for his taste. Some of the other bags in the OP have more and some have less of this kind of stuff. I'll be taking the bag on a month long, three city tour and I have no doubt that even with a carry-on sized bag I'll probably pack too much stuff.

Don't worry, I'll find ways to rezz it when it starts reaching the danger zone, but I always appreciate other people helping out with that!

Part of the reason you don't often see threads with fairly comprehensive OPs (that aren't poo poo) is that that kind of thing stifles conversation which causes thread death. But we'll get around that issue.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Nikon 52 lens cap storage device:

:3:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Bag that holds your laptop and DSLR schizz and doesn't look like a pike of nerd poo poo:

http://www.onabags.com/store/messengers-and-backpacks/the-camps-bay.html

raton fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Nov 5, 2011

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
One more use for a dress shirt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JwdZC31nQU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

MasterBuilder posted:

What's the popular opinion for footwear for honduras/belize? Obviously a pair of sandals but I was going to wear running shoes until I realized that khakis and running shoes looks retarded. There's going to be some hiking/walking through the jungle.

This is always a problem -- when you want to stay with one pair but have hiking to do too. There are three solutions in my mind:

1) If you're mostly going to be hiking buy a pair of almost totally brown hiking shoes.

2) If you're going on a hiking excursion buy a pair of hiking shoes locally and plan to throw them away after your hike. A bit wasteful, but I'd rather waste 30 bucks than drag an extra pair of shoes around for the whole vacation.

3) Just deal with having two pairs of shoes to hump around. The best you can do here is to bring two our e gallon zip locks and one normal plastic shopping bag. If you get a chance to dry your shoes out after your hike they can be packed away internally in the zip locks. If not, they go in the shopping bag and get tied on to the outside of your pack with the top open as much as you can -- this obviously sucks if you have to be on the move like that for a long time as the bag will bang around, so if that's the case plan to also lash it down with a bit of string or a length of duct tape.

----

Outrail: I also travel with wetwipes, mostly because they do a better job, but they are a bit more flexible, as you said.

-----

Roj: A hoodie can be a great addition because it's really flexible. This is more true the less formal your destination is. I didn't bring any sort of jacket to SE Asia personally but I'm pretty cold-tolerant (not a fatty).

----

Duralict: Thanks for that stuff, I'll probably work some if it in to the OP later.

raton fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 19, 2011

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Those look pretty good and if you get those (or something like them) please report back.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

a depressed kitten posted:

how are you guys getting into clubs with shoes like those

In SE Asia or Nicaragua your white skin gets you into any club you'd like so long as you aren't in flip flops. In Europe, though, those shoes above probably wouldn't cut it.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

laffo

(Israeli backpackers really are the worst though)

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Not in the states I'm afraid, you should expect to need the original here.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Often if they don't want you in they make some excuse about something on the ID. Other times there are actual requirements -- the police go around trying to get underaged people in to bars (so they can bust the bars) so ID BS isn't something really that the bars themselves are super keen on despite the usual vigilance.

I was a bartender and would take any ID that had the name, birthday and a picture that was issued by a government.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
You generally pack between four to six days of clothes and wash them as needed -- that's what most of the advice in the OP is geared toward. Are you in some bizzaro situation where this isn't feasible?

If you have to pack 30 days worth of clothes you're going to need some kind of 1800s trunk thing. I don't think I even have that many clothes in my house.

raton fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 17, 2012

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
This post is just a big dumb bump

I'm on Curacao right now. I want to add suntan lotion to my "should bring" list later because I haven't found any here yet (but that's probably because on Sunday everything on Curacao is closed).

Boy is my face red...

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Eh, the price was right. Just don't feel like you have to fill the whole bag, souvenirs or otherwise, for your trip. If you buy a bag in the future you'll want something a bit smaller.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Just want to reiterate after a few months using the toiletries kit I recommended earlier, it does indeed continue to own. I picked three more up as Christmas gifts for my parents/sister who all travel a lot (sister for work, parents now that they're retired) and they all really like it as well. A ziplock bag or whatever is perfectly serviceable, but stuff is easier to find in the Lapoché, and the padding has helped keep things from getting uncapped and messy, or poking/tearing a hole in the bag. The hook for hanging it up is also really useful, on the whole the kit is really well-made and feels like it'll last me years. Is it an absolute necessity? No, but it makes life easier, and I'd buy one again in a heartbeat.

edit: external link to the company's site because it looks like the old one from my original post has changed.

I took out the Rick Steves pack thing and put this one in instead in the OP.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

My fiancée and I are heading off to Ladakh and Nepal for our honeymoon. We're fairly experienced travelers (Averaged, I'm incredibly experienced as a traveller, she is less so) but I'm just wondering if anyone has any small "DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT" tips since while I've traveled to developing areas before it's usually in a different capacity then just loving around.

Immodium AD, earplugs and cash money.

Should have made that the subtitle for the thread, really.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I use those things when I'm working on the ambulance so I have a place to put the keys when I'm on a call. My only gripe is the wire gate can slip past the tooth thing and just hang open if it gets sideways force on it (one the metal ones, on the plastic version the problem is this is prevented by a little barb and then this barb makes sliding keys off of it smoothly an issue...). My travel pack has a big black carabiner attached to the outside all the time -- its main use is for hanging my flip flops from if they're not dry yet, but I've used it to hang the bag up off of the ground before (this is easy to do with a bag anyway but whatever) and to attach a plastic sack to my normal bag mostly so I wouldn't forget it as if I carried it that way it'd bang around a lot.

Anyway, I like those carabiners but I wish they'd make a slightly beefier version with a more traditional spring gate.

Oh and the size you want to order is #4.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
So you want two bags, one normal one and one daypack?

I think you're planning to put way too much stuff in your daypack if that's the case. Why would you hump your laptop, two jackets and two liters of water around with you everywhere in Brazil? The water and the jackets I could see if you were in the mountains but then you wouldn't need the laptop. In fact, there's no situation where you should be carrying a laptop 24/7. By daypack do you just mean one-bag kind of travel option?

This part makes me think you're looking for just a daypack:

quote:

* $350AUD - not necessarily an issue for me but it is when i'm basically buying another carryon with a daypack attachment which makes my existing carryon useless and thus waste of $$$

If that's the case here's what I suggest you do. Forget the fleece. Bring one undershirt and a cheap poncho in your daypack (unless it's raining or you know it'll be raining that day -- no "just in case" style packing please), one 750mL bottle of water (or none if you're in the city, you'll be able to buy a bottle of water anywhere you go in that case) plus your camera and maybe a magazine or map or something. For your daypack just get a normal old backpack from whatever you have in Australia that's the same as Target. Leave the laptop in your bag back at the hotel. If it's too precious to you to take the tiny rear end risk of it getting stolen then don't bring it and just find internet cafes now and then instead.

raton fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 26, 2012

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I never use a daypack any more. My pants have two extra thigh pockets (they're in the OP) and my setup goes like this:

Left front top: cellphone
Left lower: keys and change
Right front top: point and shoot camera
Right lower: wallet and passport

My back pockets are empty apart from sometimes a page torn out of a travel guide with a map on it, so if you're willing to use your back pockets you don't need the pants I'm suggesting (or if you're willing to go without a phone or camera).

Souvenirs always come with a plastic bag and I just carry that in my hand. For water my philosophy is to have a glass before I leave the house and buy a bottle if I'm really that thirsty later, which I finish and toss, I don't carry water around unless I'm hiking because I'm not a camel. For a jacket if I need it I wear it and if wearing it isn't necessary I leave it at home -- taking a risk of being cold or wet is often (usually? always?) better than guaranteeing you'll be carrying around a jacket all drat day.

When you've tried something like the above you'll realize that your daypack did more to limit your freedom than it did to enable it.

For 53f a rainjacket and a long sleeved shirt is plenty for me. I'm not fat either, I just take the attitude that it's fine to be cold at nigjt and hot at noon and just try to enjoy/tolerate the differences.

raton fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 26, 2012

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
If I'm hiking, as in, away from a store for more than 8 hours at a time in the woods or something then yeah, I bring a backpack with a bottle of water and some kind of food in it. Six or less I only really use what fits in my pockets.

If I'm traveling, yeah. I don't carry a water bottle ever, and if I buy something I just carry it in its shopping bag until I get back to the hotel.

Between those electronic devices you mentioned I think a iPad kind of thing would be the way to go.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Movendi posted:

So this is what i'd like to know more about under the one-bag carryon only style of travel. Do you fit the day pack in your travel pack before you depart home? Do you check in your travel pack and carryon your daypack?

You're allowed one bag and one "personal item." The personal item allows for a laptop bag or briefcase of a purse -- but your daypack qualifies so long as it isn't too much larger than a laptop bag / briefcase. So one bag travel is really two if needed, but I genuinely do just one.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Most of that stuff will absolutely be at Wal-mart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Unless you're hiking never bring a water bottle. Water will be anywhere people are.

• Locked thread