Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

huhu posted:

I'm going hiking in Machu Picchu (20 to 30F at night) in June and I'm trying to figure out my sleeping bag situation. I've got a Kelty Celestial 55
Degree Sleeping Bag since I'm living in Panama. I'd like to put a liner in it so that I don't have to buy a new sleeping bag. Do you guys have any suggestions? I've got no idea what to buy and don't want to end up freezing my rear end off at night.

There's a link to the hiking thread in the op near the top. I bet they know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Movendi posted:

How did you carry a tent/sleeping bag/pad/food/camping gear??

The hike had stopovers in hilltribe villages at night where my guide would arrange for lodging. You don't need a sleeping bag in Thailand, I used my ratty old sarong as a sheet mostly to keep mosquitoes off of my feet. I carried some of the food, the guide carried the rest, and we bartered for some along the way.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Post in the men's fashion thread in You Look Like poo poo and ask them about good stores to go to in each city.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

dogs are bears posted:

My fiance and I are going to Japan for our honeymoon for 2 weeks next May (with a 2 night stopover in Hong Kong) and I'm looking for recommendations on women's shoes. I'd like to do the 1 pair + shower flip flops thing since we will be staying in a few places with shared bathrooms/showers. Unfortunately, I don't think my feet can handle using the shower flip flops for anything other than showering (unless you know of any plastic flip flops with kick rear end support and blister-free bands). I expect to be doing a LOT of walking (around cities, no serious hiking), but would prefer to not be in sneakers since I'll have to look nice occasionally. I'm open to either closed toed shoes or sandals, so long as they are comfortable. Maybe my solution is 1 pair of walking shoes and a 1 pair of something a bit nicer, but I'm hoping you all can help me avoid that...

I'm also all ears for any recommendations on women's clothing that doesn't wrinkle, dries relatively quickly, and isn't obviously hiking/athletic clothing. It will be late spring/early summer so I expect it to range from warm and muggy to cool enough to want a light jacket, depending on where we are and the time of day. Right now my rough list of clothing includes a couple shirts (maybe 2 tees, 2 tanks, 1 long sleeve), 1 pair of pants, 1 pair of shorts, a light jacket and either a dress or skirt, but please feel free to advise on this general packing list as well.

I plan on using a 45L backpack with packing cubes if that helps give you a sense of the amount of stuff I'd like to bring.

thanks in advance!!

I like these now, but be warned that they run about a half size big. I actually had to order a full size down and then get wides but most people seem to to okay with a half down. They can function as "something nicer" and as walking shoes IMO. Other companies make the same style but they're hard to find with anything other than a crepe or flat rubber sole, neither of which do real great when it's wet out. Also they're usually more money.

http://www.amazon.com/Timberland-City-Lite-Chukka-Brown/dp/B0083IWPHM/

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
It'll get moldy and you'll be filling it up with bottled water anyway.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
If you pick up something in America you can also mail it home or throw away something you have. It's good when your pack is small and you're just traveling. If you're staying in a place for a while just accept that there will be some waste. I've got a 3oz bottle of body wash that I also use as shampoo and fabric detergent when needed when I'm traveling. If I'm staying in one place for a while I'll buy a pint of whatever body wash from a convenience store, refill my bottle if I need to, and usually throw about half of it in the trash when I go.

As for stores, REI is a big hiking / sporting goods chain -- often they have some stuff on a big discount that's a good deal. Check out ebags.com while you're here -- I like their Motherload line a lot and it's way cheaper than any other similar bag.

raton fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 12, 2014

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

"Ostrich pillow"

raton fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Dec 16, 2014

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Uncle Ivan posted:

Never heard about bundle packing so I just looked it up. What's the point? It just seems like it makes everything really really hard to get to where you need to unfold the whole goddamn thing to get a T-shirt. I just have a packing cube where I throw all my socks and underwear, throw in a few T-shirts, 1-2 pairs of pants. Any weather specific items (jackets, sweaters, etc.) just go on the bottom. My friend rolls his T-shirts but I don't think it saves that much space vs. throwing them in in the regular folded form that you get them back from laundry in. If you hang your T-shirts I guess you can roll them.

Does bundle packing really save that much space? And if so, why are you bringing so much stuff anyway?

The reason I bundle instead of using cubes:

1) Nothing results in less wrinkles. Once you get good at it your clothes usually come out of the bag with less wrinkles than when you put them in.

2) Cheaper.

3) If I'm some time away from laundry for whatever reason (usually because I'm lazy and waiting to get to a place where it'll be easier to do, sometimes because I'm not sure if there will be time to let things dry before I have to move again) I can easily make a dirty bundle and pack it next to the clean bundle and one grows exactly as the other shrinks. If you cube it you end up with half filled cubes or else your dirty clothes intermixed with clean and then sometimes everything smells bad before you can wear it.

4) The packing cubes themselves are just one more thing you have to pack / carry in the end, sometimes the ones you have don't quite work with a new bag, etc.

Also any time you lose loving with the bundle a cube packer losses with opening and closing cubes and rolling and folding shirts &c. Maybe it's a little faster or easier to use the cube but not much.

It is a little old fashioned -- maybe a bit like buying a manual instead of an automatic -- but once you learn to drive stick there's a tiny bit of superiority or pride or whatever that gives you a fondness for it too.

The Aeronaut is expensive but it's also great quality. Personally I'd get an eBags Motherload (or whatever the baby version of that is) which is half again as much as those Osprey bags, but I'm pretty easy on gear and about as cheap as a 70 year old Chinese Mainlander. In any case so long as you're going with one carry-on bag (plus maybe a daypack or murse) you're doing it right, the rest is just a matter of budget and taste.

raton fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 17, 2014

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I still haven't found an actual good travel shoe BTW.

I thought about these https://www.meermin.es/articulo.php?idArt=4071 but without being able to try them on I don't know if they'll eviscerate my achille's tendon if I wear them around for a real walk. Also they're too dressy for sometimes. Eh.

H&M has a Common Projects clone but that means it looks like a sneaker but is made out of leather, black and white: http://www.hm.com/us/product/30406?article=30406-A They're cheap at least. The sole is basically untextured rubber.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Saw this thing in a store today, it looks... ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
In store the sole is really rigid so I don't think it'd be terribly comfortable, but I think it's as close to an everything shoe as I've seen. I wish the sole weren't as thick as it was, the mid padding stuff really doesn't seem necesscary.

• Locked thread