Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
For pants, I have a few pairs of an earlier version of these things:
http://www.rei.com/product/787861/the-north-face-paramount-peak-convertible-pants-mens-34-inseam

I have climbed mount Kilimanjaro in these things, motorbiked across Vietnam, swam in the Aegean Sea, and done just about everything else in these pants and they hold up extremely well.

You may look like kind of an idiot because they are convertible (I honestly have never used that feature of these pants), but they are extremely cool in hot climates, dry very quickly, and have big pockets on the front of it which comes very much in handy. I literally wore these things for a week straight on numerous trips and they never got too disgusting. And again, I love the front pockets because they give you a more secure place to put valuable items (like a passport).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Toussaint Louverture posted:

I'd like to put in a recommendation for Solar Bat Sunglasses I bought a pair of these in gray and they held up remarkably for six months of just being shoved in a backpack wherever. The polarization is really good and the warranty is really nice as well. They're also incredibly light and come with a nice carrying case.

Speaking of, what is a good sunglass recommendation for SE Asia? I have Ray Bans I use at home, but they are of the aviator type and have a lot of leakage. I don't plan on bringing them over there.

On my previous trip over there I brought my glacier glasses (These) because they also act as motorcycle goggles. However, they look ridiculous and I am looking for something a bit more stylish. The good thing about the glacier glasses is that they had a really dark lens, which I loved since it gets so drat bright over there. I would like some wraparound sunglasses with really dark lenses.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Anyone have a recommendation for a light weight, quick drying button down shirt, preferably short sleeve?

Also, any suggestions for a light hiker shoe that isn't a moccasin or laceless?

Cheesemaster200 fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 14, 2011

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Sheep-Goats posted:

I'd be interested to see if anyone has suggestions along these lines. I'm fairly set on cotton long sleeve button downs as described in the OP (the sleeves are often rolled up when I wear them unless there's sun, mosquitoes, or too much aircon) but there should be something out there more in line with what Cheesemaster is looking for, too.

As for your shoes, will they be your only pair or a hiking specific pair?

I walk everywhere and I usually am doing some hiking/outdoor activity wherever I go. I have my full scale boots, but since I am trying to go lightweight for my upcoming trip I wants something a little more low key like Merrells or something.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

qirex posted:

Convertible nylon cargo pants

Leave me alone! I only wear my North Face pants because they are much cooler, comfortable, and have bigger pockets than any of the other adventure pants on the market!

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
So I am starting my packing for about a month of traveling in SE Asia (Thailand, Burma, Laos, ???).

So far I have

(3) pairs REI adventure-like pants
(1) pair of cargo shorts
(1) bathing suit
(3) short sleeve button down shirts
(1) short sleeve synthetic t-shirt
(1) orioles floppy hat
(2) pairs of Smartwool socks
(3) pairs of cotton socks
(3) pairs of Capilene boxer shorts
(20) maleria pills (going to Laos for a week, quasi-rural)
(1) iPad

With this stuff I filled up about a third of my 42L pack

In addition to that, I am thinking of bringing the following:
(1) long sleeve Capilene shirt*
(1) Gore-Tex rain jacket*
(1) sarong**
(1) long sleeve button down shirt***
(1) pair of sandals ****

*Only considering these because I might, potentially, maybe climb Mt. Kinabalu. But I am torn since it is just an idea, not so much a goal. The rain jacket is a lot of room in my pack...

**I have never brought a towel with me anywhere I have traveled, though I have never really skimped on hotels/guesthouses and they have always had them.

*** I dont think I will need a long sleeve shirt, but my reasoning is that I would wear it at night to fend off mosquitoes in Laos.

**** I can't loving stand wearing sandals for any significant amount of walking distance. Are they really nice for the beach?

Any suggestions on what and what not to bring, or what to bring instead of what I have? My big concern right now is quantity. I have never traveled so light for so long before and I am unsure how much of each piece of clothing I will need.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Why you would bring a tablet traveling:
http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-KeyFolio-Bluetooth-Keyboard-K39294US/dp/B0043TB9D6

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Sheep-Goats posted:

Uhhhhhhhh I think they just paid 600 bucks for a netbook.

Edit: I guess if they already have a tablet that's a more reasonable idea than going and buying a netbook to bring.

Oh absolutely, I would have never actually bought an iPad by itself (it was my "Christmas bonus"). But if you have one, it is cheaper and easier than buying a netbook.

quote:

Tripods - Don't bring them. Seriously, they suck. I do a lot of stitched pano photography, and thought that having a very lightweight tripod would be nice to help keep everything lined up and sharp, but after dragging that stupid thing around for 4 months I ended up discovering that almost none of the shots (pano or otherwise) that I took with the tripod ended up being good. And honestly, I think a lightweight tripod is actually worse than no tripod at all for DSLRs, because you can't even use them for long exposures; the camera's shutter action (yes, even with the mirror locked) is enough to jar the tripod and blur the shot.
Those little mini-tripods are great for self shots. They weigh next to nothing and take up no space so I always carry one along with me. They may not be perfect for late night time lapse, but they are still useful.

Speaking of, what do you guys use for day bags? I am packing so light that I could probably just use my backpack everywhere I go (it used to be my day pack on other trips), however it would be nice to have something a tad bit smaller and easier to access.

Cheesemaster200 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 18, 2011

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

quote:

I'm talking about things from the perspective of someone bringing a DSLR, in which case the camera will barely be stable on a mini-tripod. Also, if you're dragging along a DSLR I think it's a little silly to do the "here's a picture of me in front of the [insert famous building here]" routine with it, but I guess that's personal preference.
I wouldn't drag along a DSLR just for that. However, if I am dragging it along anyway, you might as well get said pictures taken with a better camera. Why wouldn't you?

Not to mention the mini-tripod is also helpful for point and shoots as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Anyone have any recommendations for travel insurance? Specifically I want something that covers at least $1000 of stolen baggage.

• Locked thread