Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

xcdude24 posted:

What do you guys know about mosquito nets? I'm planning on doing India and rural SE Asia, and I figured this might be a decent investment. Are they too much of a pain to put up in your standard guesthouse room?

I don't know how rural you're going, but I've found (in Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Philippines, and peninsular Malaysia) that most of the guesthouses in mosquito-y areas in SE Asia do provide mosquito nets. I'm not just going to tourist destinations, but I suppose I wouldn't call my travels very "rural" - I don't stray too far from major highways.

That being said,

http://www.safariquip.co.uk/all-categories/insect-protection/mosquito-nets/choosing-a-mosquito-net/

Something like the pop-up dome mosquito net on that link seems like a good option. Fairly lightweight considering it's self-supporting.

Alternatively, the adventurer mosquito net may be doable - it only requires one point of support, so you could probably rig something up in most rooms (drape it on a hanging picture, maybe?), as long as you are pretty still when you sleep. At worst, you could have the net draped over you as you sleep, although this will be pretty uncomfortable.

Even if you don't take a mosquito net, I would advise you bring some tape, because a lot of the nets provided by guesthouses have holes in 'em. I personally carry electrical tape, but duct tape would be good too (it also doubles as a backpack repair patch!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

OldHansMoleman posted:

I live in San Diego and I've had this told to me MULTIPLE times by different bouncers when trying to use a United States passport to enter a bar.

Ditto Minneapolis, fwiw, and Minneapolitans are not assholes. Hmm maybe the bouncers are...

• Locked thread