Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products
I have to plug Icebreaker clothing. I was in France for a month and wore two Icebreaker t-shirts the whole time, rotating every couple of days. I did wear deodorant every day but it was a long time before my BO was noticeable. They are very thin but can be layered for warmth, especially with the heavier weight fabrics. My green shirt started showing pitstains which is a mystery to me because I've never had pitstains since switching for anti-perspirant to deodorant.

Very expensive for shirts but I think they're worth it.

https://www.icebreaker.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

NoDamage posted:

How good is the durability in your experience? Everything I've read points to these shirts being awesome, but a ton of people complain that they wear out (e.g. develop holes) fairly quickly, which is unfortunate considering the cost.

Of the two t-shirts I got, one got a tiny little hole in the sleeve somehow. The hole has not started spreading or unraveling. I am sure that if you were tromping around through the woods bushwhacking or through some thorn bushes you could easily tear the shirts up, mainly because the lightweight shirts are very thin and light, which is part of why they're awesome. If anything, they make great base layers and you could wear something heavier duty over them the prevent tearing them up. I forgot to mention they pack incredible well, again, because of the thinness and lightness of them.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

Sheep-Goats posted:

How did you wash yours HUMMER DRIVING human being

They've been machine washed and air dried. They don't appear to have lost any shape/integrity having been in a washing machine.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

I don't want this thread to die because it has given me some really good advice.

I bought the eBags Weekender eTech Convertible (http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/weekender-etech-convertible/15026?productid=56582) that is mentioned in the OP and so far it looks well built for its price. My dad used it on an overnight trip and his only negative comment was that there are too many buckles and zippers for his taste. Some of the other bags in the OP have more and some have less of this kind of stuff. I'll be taking the bag on a month long, three city tour and I have no doubt that even with a carry-on sized bag I'll probably pack too much stuff.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

Does anyone have some first-hand knowledge suggestions for merino wool clothing? My Icebreakers have been great, but I've noticed two things:

Tiny holes in parts of the shirts and discoloration in the armpits.

If the holes are caused by moths, I just need to take precautions against them. If it's not, I don't know what could be causing it.

For the discoloration it's not because I'm using antiperspirant because my other shirts have not discolored. I'm thinking it's the actual dyes for the particular color I had.

I was swapped 3 shirts for the three that got discolored no questions asked, so that's enough to have me keep buying from the company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

LaserWash posted:

I'm thinking of doing the carryon, no checked bag thing in Europe this summer (gently caress huge luggage at small German train stations). I had bought a rolling duffel, but now I'm considering the freedom of the carryon backpack, but don't want to get something that is crazy expensive.

Looking at ebags, there are two that catch my eye:

Rick steves' convertible carryon: http://goo.gl/kQqqg
It looks like they have oneon clearence for 60 bucks

The ebags Etech convertible: http://goo.gl/YGkBy
60'ish bucks

Rick Steves fagginess aside, how good is this bag compared to the ebag?

Also, what do you think of bringing one of these bags with a smaller backpack for day trips and to use as something to hold nerd gear while on the plane?

I bought the ebags Etech convertible because of this thread and it has since gone on a 5 week long intranational USA trip. For clothes I had one pair of jeans, two pairs of exofficio underwear and various Icebreaker shirts. I did laundry once on the trip. I'm used to wearing the same clothes over again and am not bothered by it so I was fine. I definitely subscribe to the "no second pair of shoes" idea now that I lugged an extra pair around for over a month and wore them once. As for the bag, it was a champ. I can really see the advantages to not having wheels and having backpack straps instead.

On a trip last weekend, however, the zipper of the second largest compartment snagged and I had to reseat it. It works fine but I can't yank the zipper open anymore. Instead I have to stop near the site of the snag and slowly unzip it before I can resume opening it quickly.

Ss fro a small daypack I used one of those bags with little rope cinchers that can double as backpack-style carrying straps. If you don't need to carry much with you those are great because they fold up to almost nothing and can be carried in your carryon when not in use.

• Locked thread