Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
For toiletries, I say the only thing you need to bring are: toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo (and contact solution if you wear them and/or lotion). Get one of those 3 oz refillable bottles and fill it with shampoo. I'd even argue you don't need shampoo cause you can just buy it from the place next to you hotel/hostel, but meh I like the convenience of not having to worry about it. I never use soap though because honestly I don't see what the difference between shampoo and soap is—if shampoo works for my hair then it works for my body too?

If you have a smartphone, you do not need your laptop. Your smartphone will do Facebook/Skype/Email just fine on your hostel/hotel's wifi, and if they don't have wifi at the very least you could go to McDonalds and buy some fries to leech off their wifi for a bit I guess.

Also, if you're bringing electronics, check your adaptors/plugs cause chances are you don't need to bring everything. For example, you have a Kindle so you bring the cord and the USB wall plug. Did you know you can also plug in your iPhone or other smart phone USB charger into that same wall plug? No need to bring two wall plugs then because you can just reuse! And what's the chance that you'll need to charge both your Kindle and phone at the same time anyway?

Banking/Money: Global ATM Alliance. If you have an account at any of those banks then congrats, you can use any of those other bank's ATMs for free!

Bags: I really like the Patagonia MLC as my carry on. It is awesome. I also like to bring another bag to use as a daypack when I'm out and about, for that I use this REI one because it's cheap and compresses fairly small. Only 'problem' is that it doesn't have a defined shape which you may or may not like. Cool thing about this bag though is that you can cheat the one carry on limit with this because it's small enough to be your 'personal item,' good for if you buy souvenirs or whatever. I usually throw my camera equipment into the daypack and keep it next to me on the plane because I'm paranoid that someone is going to steal my camera from the overhead bin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread