Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I cant speak to international flights, but I used to take like a hundred domestic flights a year in the US and had a checked bag delayed maybe once in 3-4 years.

My issue is always that I have to check my tool/Equitment box and don't want to deal with two rolling bags, so I have to cram all my other poo poo into a backpack. I have a trip next weekend and I suspect I am going to be rocking a rolling pelican, a rolling suitcase, and a huge backpack. It's gonna suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

They are decent pants but don't really hold up to actual action-man type use. They are great for business travel though.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Do people not just wash clothing in a sink? I do it all the time when I travel for work and am too busy/lazy to find a laundromat.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Blinkman987 posted:

Sure, but sink washing is kinda lovely and not effective enough if you're out for any extended length of time and doing laundry is expensive where you're staying.

Edit-- Plus, people love gadgets!

How dirty are you getting? I do event work and my clothing gets clean enough in sink washing.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Rainy Pass Tailor should be able to fix it for you.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Buffworks are decent, but I think the new, slightly stretchy ones are 100% better feeling then the old ones. The hidden zipper pockets suck though, they scratch your hands every time you reach into your pockets.

I have tried more expensive tech pants, and while they are are better then buffworks, they are not $100 better.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

I actually have a bunch of ministry of supply shirts, and they are absolutely loving amazing. I bought one of their Blazers to try, but due to being barrel chested/short armed, none of their poo poo fit me in an non-comical fashion and they didn't loving designed it to be tailorable.

Now, Buffworks just kickstarted a blazer that is highly tailorable, but it isn't going to hit retail until probably next spring. I really like their pants, even OK have way too many superfluous the zippers of poo poo, at least they are hidden and only annoying when you try to reach something in the bottom of your pocket.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Bro I just posted about that like or posts up from yours. It's also just been kickstart it will not be available until February at the very earliest.

Is looking very good, even though it has too many stupid loving pockets like everything they produce seems to.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I have grown to prefer a bag that is just one big rear end pocket. I am really digging packing all my poo poo into little packing cubes or small makeup bags. It is great if you use the same bag for different stuff, it's super quick to repack for whatever you are up to on a given day.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Saladman posted:

Also buy her a merino wool t-shirt or socks or whatever. Merino everything is the best ever, with the only side effect of it costing you hundreds of dollars as you will later throw your cotton clothing into the trash, where it belongs, and need to replace it with merino wool after you realize how much better merino is for traveling.

Bringing wool clothing in to New Zealand is about as dumb as bringing cheap leather goods into Mexico. Wool clothing is kind of their thing.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Saladman posted:

Merino isn't going to be any cheaper in NZ.

Eh, I don't know, I had a friend who lived there for a year or so and she came back with like an all-merino wardrobe and the prices she was talking were easily like 25% less than I would pay in the US, even assuming I could find like merino work pants and poo poo. When she cracked open her suitcase full of socks it was like briefcase from Pulp Fiction.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I need to buy a huge loving suitcase for some work trips my wife and I have coming up. I am looking at this Timbuk2 bag;

https://www.amazon.com/Timbuk2-Co-P...buk2&th=1&psc=1

I have had the medium one for a few years and love it and was thinking about picking up the XL one. I have a friend who has been touring for like 4-5 years now with one and she still loves it, but I though I would see what other people thought.

Anyone have a huge rear end suitcase that they love?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
We have a pretty decent pelican collection already for our work crap, but I don't like using them as suitcases at all. I prefer a few dividers/pockets and honestly the casters on pelicans kinda suck.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Huh, never even heard of Nanuk cases, quickly looking at them, they seem pretty identical to pelicans, what makes them better?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I work the event production industry and pelicans have been the standard for all sorts of gear for so long I never even thought to look if they had any competitors.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Constellation I posted:

Literally everything except for the fact that they don't sell the screw on zipper dividers for the top cover.

Hard pass.

If I ever have, or even see, a pelican break I guess I will look again. I do want to find a way to rig some skateboard wheels to my small case so it rolls better.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I used to fly for work every weekend and had a little Jansport backpack/roller bag combo. It was great as I could roll it 90% the time but If I needed to run I could throw it on my back. Now when I travel I always just check a bag as I want to have a pocket knife and a tetra pack or two if wine with me.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Find the jars they use to ship medical samples around in? I bet they are as leak-proof as you can get.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

Brilliant. Perfect. And I can wierd the gently caress out of fellow campers.

Please post what you find. A couple years ago I was on a similar quest for a small container to hold a type of particularly foul smelling artificial lure. I didn't think of piss sample jars then, but none of the camping/outdoors marketed ones I tried worked well.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I had a pair of leather work gloves that got "treated" with liquid pig fat when we were roasting a pig. Got to say that they were both very supple and soft and surprisingly waterproof.

Predictably, a dog got a hold of them and chewed them to pieces.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

I spend a fair bit of time in random campsites and sometimes you just don't have anything to use as kindling. Never really used Doritos but I can definitely see a time when I'll end up using them.

But bringing a bag of corn chips specifically to light a fire is dumb as hell.

Like, where are you camping where there's fuel for a fire but nothing one can break up to start the fire?

And to be fussy, Doritos would be tinder, not kindling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

skooma512 posted:

I'm not sure where you're coming from but if you intend to cross deserts to get there, the reception could get spotty.

If you just have a compass you really can't get too lost on the way to CA once you hit the desert. Like there are not a lot of roads to pick from.

• Locked thread