Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
I just use ziploc for my toiletries. Stuff that can break or something is put in it's own small ziploc, everything else in a big ziploc. It takes zero room in your backpack and it's easy to find stuff in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
Just go to a normal store and get some pants that are lightweight (so not jeans). Two pairs so when one is in the laundry, you're wearing the other. Clothes from travel stores are ugly and make you look like a tool.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
I'm so grateful for the underwear and socks recommendation in the OP. Those socks and shorts are loving amazing and worth every penny.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
I use these (an older model):
http://www.vivobarefoot.com/uk/mens/aqua-lite-mens-20.html/
Wore them for a year at home. Now I have a new pair for home and the old ones for traveling. So a year of daily use + 1 music festival + 2 weeks in vietnam + 2 weeks so far in Thailand (2 weeks left to go).
Besides being a bit dirty, they don't have a single tear or any other kind of issue. Most comfortable shoes I ever wore and after all that use don't stink at all and I never used any product on them. I even got a compliment two days ago from a lady that she likes my shoes.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
haha. I heard from someone that isreali backpackers are generally straight out of mandatory military service and they're all brainwashed psychos. His last encounter with them almost ended up with him getting his rear end kicked, because they thought he looked Arabic (he was Indian).
The older ones are a lot more normal and avoid their younger countrymen.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005

Marxist Glue posted:

I'm traveling to Italy for 5 weeks to help film a mini-series. I'm wondering what pack I can bring that will allow me to take a month's worth of clothes. Initially, I was thinking about taking one of my smaller backpacking backpacks, but that wouldn't be carry on sized. Any bag suggestions that anyone has that would help fit a month's worth of clothes (luckily I'll be going May-June so I won't need cold weather clothing). One of my carry-on items will be taken up with my camera equipment in it's hard sided case.
Ugh how many clothes are we talking about here? You do mean to wash and reuse clothes are you not?

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
Try to go to sleep at your normal time in local time. If you're not sleepy, take a melatonin pill.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
I swear by vivo shoes. They have quite a few models for every need. Some look great some are ugly and they're all really well made. I'm gonna buy my third pair soon, even though my first pair is still holding strong.
http://www.vivobarefoot.com/eu/mens.html

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005

FYAD KNIGHT posted:

Just curious, and this is probably a stupid question, but how do people get around the travel bag + day bag shuffle?
I have a backpack that has a detachable day pack on it.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
I usually get worldnomads
http://www.worldnomads.com/travel-insurance/prices-and-benefits.aspx

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
Generally if I'm at the beach I buy a seat and asume whoever is selling them is going to keep away thieves. I've even obviously used an ipod on the beach and left it in the bag when swimming. Maybe I'm just an optimist :)

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
Where would you go in these? They don't look good for tropical weather or anywhere during summer really.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
Yeah but carrying around hiking shoes for those couple of days they might come in handy is not a much better solution.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
Well what are you planning to do on the internet? You can do a ton of things with a smartphone android/iphone or ipod touch, with the added bonus of being very small. I always take my ipod touch and use it constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
Leather?

• Locked thread