Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

DammitJanet posted:

From reading travel threads I get the idea that my standard camera bag would be tempting to thieves, and that maybe I should take the "cloth shopping bag" route since we'll be walking around for most of our touristy stuff. I also have a neckstrap, and I've thought of investing in a handstrap to avoid attention, but maybe that's worse, or overkill.

Thanks!

My wife and I brought our DSLR to London, Paris and the south of France in almost the exact same camera bag. Some days I carried it in a day pack, some days she put it in her purse without the bag, and some days I just carried it in that camera bag. We changed it up depending on how much we were going to see and how much we needed to bring with us.

I wouldn't worry about thieves. You should just try to find the balance between comfort and looking like a nerdy tourist (which is almost unavoidable).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

I decided to do a money clip in my front pocket and a fake wallet in my back pocket when I was in Europe last spring.

It provided me with enough peace of mind without being too annoying to use that I think I will do it again when I'm in Mexico this year.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Brian Fellows posted:

Sorry to bring up the carry-on liquid thing again, but what's the biggest anyone's gotten away with in the US? I've got some prescription liquid I always want to bring with me but end up leaving behind because it's clearly marked 4.0 oz. That's a trivial amount over the limit as far as I'm concerned, but I really don't want to have to throw it out since it's a prescription I'd have to wait a month to get refilled.

It's not life and death or anything, so I go without it when I'm on trips, but it's definitely noticeable when I go a week or two without it. Think I'll generally be OK to get by security?

Prescriptions don't have to meet the 3.4 oz rule and shouldn't be included in your ziploc bag. Just declare it at security.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

From my experiences, a Schwab debit card and a no foreign transaction credit card is the best way to travel.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Also you should only take your laptop if you have to write a novel or something. You can bank with a smartphone or a tablet.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

sellouts posted:

I travel plenty. I need my laptop as work requires me to be somewhat available for fires, etc. It enables the traveling. Also god forbid I want to accomplish something on a long flight that might not be possible or easy on a tablet.

This is the travel gear thread, not the backpacking / edc thread. Both sides of the coin are relevant. There are a lot of ways to travel.

If you are traveling for business then yes you probably need a laptop.

But there's a tendency to overpack when it comes to technology just like there's a tendency to overpack in general.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Loucks posted:

My spouse is always on the road for work and hates her cheap rolling carry-on. She's not willing to consider a non-rolling bag. Thread hate for wheels aside, who makes the most durable, high-quality rolling carry-on that will fit into the overhead compartment of a US regional jet? Cost isn't a concern, within reason.

I'm using a cheap rolling carry-on too, but I've been eyeing this TravelPro carry-on.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-carry-on-luggage/

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

I've been doing a fake wallet in my back pocket and a money clip in my front when in the 3rd world for the last few years now. Gives me some peace of mind without any real inconvenience.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Most Americans can blend in pretty well in Latin America also.

I think there's value to looking like you're a local or at least like a local tourist, even if the illusion is ruined the second you open your mouth.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

ddiddles posted:

What are you guys using for day packs? I'm going to be traveling long term with a carryon sized backpack and wanted something that compressed down so it wouldn't take up much room in my main bag when I'm moving around. Picked up one of these from Amazon, looks like it's got pretty good reviews.

http://amzn.com/B0092ECRLA

I got one of those. It works fine for light use. Since it has no support anything odd shaped you put in it is pretty awkward to carry.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Saladman posted:

I bought one of those and it was a horrible piece of poo poo and I threw it away after a month and a half of moderately heavy use. The water resistant material had all peeled away on the top of the bag, one of the zippers broke, and a whole bunch of seams were coming loose all around the backpack. It was probably the travel item I've ever purchased. Seriously I never thought I would be so disappointed by a $20 item, but it had so many massive failures that I can't even understand how badly their factories must be managed.

Yeah I use this jansport bag more often when I travel. It's held up well so far and has a lifetime warranty.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

I got a lightweight blazer from uniqlo that I use as my travel blazer. I still had to get the sleeves tailored though.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

TequilaJesus posted:

Question for experienced travelers:

I'm going to Europe (Paris and Copenhagen, with a day layover in Reykjavik) for a couple of weeks next year. I have severe Rheumatoid Arthritis (I'm not ancient, just an unlucky guy in his 30s,) and have to take a shot of Enbrel once every seven days or I become a loving mess who can't walk very long without severe pain. So I'll need to take, at minimum, one shot of Enbrel in the middle of this trip.

Enbrel comes in pre-filled syringes and needs to be refrigerated. I'll be Air B&B-ing except for the night in Reykjavik, so I'm not worried about storing it while in Europe because there should be refrigerators. What do you recommend for the long flight to Iceland from Seattle? A separate, checked-bag with some ice packs or something? I'm assuming carrying this thing on would be impossible.

You can bring them with you if you declare them. Also, I bet a soft lunchbox with a couple ice packs would work. And then you can collapse the lunchbox and throw out the ice packs of you need space.

I brought a good quality ice pack to Jamaica when I had recently broken my leg and it stayed cold pretty much the entire trip and it was just loose in my backpack and on my leg.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Outrail posted:

Yeah, I guess peanut butter has that oil, but they're kinda designed to be upright. I can see peanut butter jars leaking when they get squeezed, or you gain/lose enough altitude that there's pressure pushing it out.

The issue with Ziplocs is they're not water proof like that. Not when you're keeping things in. I'm looking for a problem free solution.

I'm going to try the smallest coke bottle I can find and report back.

I've had good luck traveling with these Nalgene bottles.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00076RC0S/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Outrail posted:

Do they work with cooking oil though? I'm being pedantic because one disaster was enough.

I've only used them for sunscreen, shampoo and other toiletries. Maybe you could find a rubber washer the size of the lid at home depot/lowes that could go in between the lid and the bottle? I feel like that would get you as close to 100% sealed as you could. I like the nalgene bottles because they are super tough and pretty cheap.

Hashtag Banterzone fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 15, 2017

• Locked thread