Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

I personally like cotton for when I travel to hot climates and the washing isn't a big concern because laundries tend to be dirt cheap in hot countries most of the time. On a related note, if you go to SE Asia or South America or plan on using laundries to wash your clothes only bring clothes that can be washed in hot water because that's what they typically use.

Even if you're not using laundries, it's nice to treat yourself once in a while because they get clothes super clean and it's a really nice feeling compared to hand washed clothes which don't tend to do the job as well as a laundry unless the hostel has an actual laundry sink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

I'd suggest checking Merrell Moab Ventilator out. They have great arch support and are hella comfortable. I'm on my second pair now and when the soles wear out, I'm getting the same model again.

REI has them if you've got one nearby and want to try them on before buying.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

I always take a smallish laptop with me, my current machine is a X230 which is a nice compact size (not as small as a netbook but actually functions as a proper laptop and is comfortable to type on) because it's just so much easier to have a laptop with me.

Since most gadgets nowdays can be charged by USB too, having a laptop means that you can get away with only having one outlet to charge all of your things. Just bring a power strip, you may say but when the outlet is in a lovely location and you have to use an adapter too, it gets unwieldy and it'll keep falling off :v:

Only my camera can't be charged by USB but I carry around two batteries to swap them in and I use my phone as my primary photo device nowadays anyway. And I just googled and it looks like I could buy an USB charger for my camera battery too!

If my laptop gets in a fire or something, my power strip has two outlets for USB charging and you can find the USB plug-in thingers dirt cheap anywhere so I won't be completely screwed.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

It's held up great! I've probably dropped it loads of times, I'm not that gentle and I shove it into my daypack without a case/sleeve (the pack has a laptop pocket at least) then toss the daypack around. I love the always-on USB slot (the yellow one) and make sure it's at the top when the laptop is in my daypack so I can charge up my phone or kindle or some other device if I want to.

A corner somehow chipped off but I found a tube of superglue lying on the windowsill at the hostel I was at and repaired it :v: There's another dent nearby but nothing that affects the operation of the laptop, just cosmetic damage. One of the rubber feet fell off and I tried to buy a replacement set from ebay and ship it to a buddy in Japan that I was meeting up with but it never showed up so I've been dealing without it.

I lucked out and found a great deal on ebay with the 9 cell battery and holy poo poo, 12 hour battery life is loving amazing. That's with all of the battery saver stuff on, I normally end up with like 8-10.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

Charles Schwab refunds you ATM fees at the end of each month. Also every country has a low fee/free ATM, you just need to research and withdraw as much you can from those ATMs you can if they're tricky to find.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

I don't think military-style backpacks will be a problem in SEA.

And get a battery pack, it's super useful and it really sucks when you get lost and your phone is completely dead. Sometimes hostels don't have enough plugs for everybody or in one REALLY cheap and awful hotel I stayed in, there were no outlets in the room. They had the outlet for the fan hidden in the wall so I couldn't just plug my power strip in it :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

You can rent a sleeping bag in Cusco if you don't mind using a rental and don't plan on using a warmer bag in the future.

• Locked thread