Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HELP, MY ARM--
Oct 12, 2006
Oh, accept the pain, Frank!

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Oh hey, this looks like a fun thread. TTFA you have the most varied loving interests.

I've played an Ocarina for years, mostly just songs I've figured out or memorized when I was 13 and just never forgot. It's an instrument that has been almost loving destroyed by Zelda and I'm loath to mention that I play it simply because of that and how easy it is to play. Nonetheless, I've been looking for a while at branching out into a double ocarina ever since I saw one played.

For beginners looking for something good, Clazeness makes the best ocarinas I've ever seen in my life. They're quality is inversely proportional to the quality of their website. Don't bother buying the Zelda styled ones because then I will hate you and feel bad inside. I have two of the raindrop model ones, the smallest and the largest. All of them sound good, but personally the more bass-y an ocarina sounds the less annoying it is to me. If you live in Seattle then they're based out of Pike Place and you can just go pick them up, the guys who make them are really nice and they've literally given me a free ocarina for standing in the middle of Pike Place loving around with a medley of Beatles songs for five minutes. :buddy:

How in tune is the raindrop? What major/minor key is it in? I'm thinking about getting one because I love how it resonates and I prefer deeper tones, but it sounds kind of off on certain notes and I'm not sure if that's just me.

edit:
http://www.clayz.com/catscales.html
This sounds really flat on certain notes so I"m not sure if it translates to their other models as well. Also, what does this mean if it's not a bother? "CHECK FOR SPECIFIC TUNING."

HELP, MY ARM-- fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HELP, MY ARM--
Oct 12, 2006
Reading this thread has been awesome and I learned a ton, like I really really want a Hang. However, because I don't have 500-2000 to drop on one, I've looked elsewhere to fulfill my musical needs.

I'm ogling the Chinese Flute(dizi): http://www.eason.com.sg/products/dizi/dxh%28d%29.jsp

Can anyone tell me more about this instrument; difficulty, upkeep, etc?

HELP, MY ARM--
Oct 12, 2006

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Did you see the HAPI drum a few pages back? They're similar but $300ish. Clip.

Looks to be pretty similar to any other bamboo flute, so fingering should be pretty easy, and embrochure is just a matter or working to learn the breath angles until you get it. So steeper learning curve than fipple flutes (tinwhistle, NAF), but nothing that people don't self-learn all the time.

So far as getting one: I'd ask at Flute Portal about who's a good quality seller/make. If you're into the Chinese thing, or find the dizi has a distinct tone you like more than other bamboo flutes, sure, get a dizi. However, if it either sounds pretty close to other bamboo flutes, or you don't have an interest in specifically Chinese stuff, you might want to just get a good American bamboo flute with six holes, so that all the fingerings for tinwhistle and the like will be the same, you can easily use tinwhistle online learning, etc.

I see Erik the Flutemaker mentioned a bunch on Chiff & Fipple and Flute Portal as a go-to guy for bamboo flutes. He makes a huge variety, most of which are quite affordable ($25-75). If you're not set on dizi/Chinese specifically, I'd go to either of those two forums and get a feel for whether Erik's flutes would suit you, and if so which model/key for the kind of music you want to play.

What kind of music do you plan to play?

EDIT: I looked into it, and the main distinctive thing about dizi (and the reason its proportions look odd) is that it has this extra hole for a vibrating membrane which affects the tone:

Personally, I didn't hear that difference really jump out at me in YouTube clips, though maybe I need to do some comparison listening. But if that feature appeals to you, find a good-quality dizi. Otherwise, regular bamboo flute with standard Western 6-hole fingering.

I did not expect to see a reply so soon. Thanks a bunch! I did not know bamboo flutes were such a huge thing in general; the link you posted to the flute maker is impressive. The sound differences between the dizi and the bamboo flutes posted in the site isn't something my novice ears can differentiate between, so having so many options is a great convenience.

I'm eying the Egyptian flute and love minor keys.

*the chinese thing comes from upbringing: I always associated bamboo flutes with chinese flutes

ALSO! I did check out the hapi :). It's a really cool substitute for the Hang, but I find the timbre too high for me.

HELP, MY ARM--
Oct 12, 2006
BAMBOO FLUTE HAS COME! I ordered the flute in D, hoping to play me some white man music.

http://www.eriktheflutemaker.com/Concert_Tuned_Flutes.htm

Here's a fingering chart for those who also are learning
http://sites.google.com/site/dougsflutes/irishflutefingeringchart

It's quite fun; I've gotten lightheaded the first few days trying to figure out how to make a consistent sound with the instrument. I've finally found a technique that works for me; angling your mouth depending on how high or low you're going. I've learned the D major scale (not hard since it's keyed to it). I find I have the most difficulty hitting the low notes. The first few tries ended up becoming screeches.

The clear, hollow yet solid sound that comes out of the flute is a good quality. I find the sound to be very encouraging whenever I hit a note
well.

All in all, I'm very happy with my purchase and look forward to music making (and learning a whole bunch more about it). Thanks TTFA.

• Locked thread