Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Chin Strap posted:

And why do they have to be so expensive :( That probably won't stop me though.

To add an actual question here, I've recently bought a house and it has a cool grove area up on a hill that we are hanging out in a lot, just enjoying the outdoors. I'm looking for instruments (like the Hang) that would be awesome for just spacing out and playing. What would people suggest as cheaper ones?

If you're up for a little DIY then you might consider a Hank drum. There's a buncha videos of 'em on YouTube. I'd link one but am posting on a borrowed iPad and have no idea how to copy/paste urls on this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Hey all! I'm doing sound design for a Greek play right now and we're looking for something that sounds (in the words of the director) "foreign" without sounding like anything anyone can place. I was leaning towards some kind of tuned percussion like a Hang drum or a Hank drum, but the director ain't digging that and I was wondering if there's anything y'all might throw at me. I'm scanning through the whole thread for interesting youtube links as we speak but would really like some suggestions. Anyone remember what that ceramic-jug that could fill with water to alter its tone was? TTFA demonstrated it once but I can't recall the name.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I'm doing a production of The Cure At Troy, an Irish translation of Philoctetes. She envisions it as the story of a PTSD-suffering veteran. Philoctetes was poisoned/cursed on the island of Lemnos and left to die by Odysseus and company, who then find out that due to some prophecy or other they cannot win without Philoctetes and his bow. They return to retrieve him and crack open Troy, and Odysseus decides to try to trick Phil into coming with them. She's decided to distance the show from Ireland, Greece, and any specific modern conflict, with a more general focus on warfare throughout the ages and its effect on the psyche.

And here's where I get red-faced. I had a meeting with the director tonight and she's decided she wants to scrap her earlier ideas. She wants discordant electric guitar riffs. I'm gonna look up some videos featuring the instruments y'all posted and see if I can get her on board, but I feel like I'mma get overruled, so my hope is I can track down something oddball that fits the bill.

One thing she particularly dug from my earlier research was a few riffs from this track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UVPJQeAncA - around ~30 seconds in, near the start of the vocals. The guitar under them particularly interested her.

Up to this point (this is my third full sound design), my sound designs have been soundscapes designed to evoke place or feeling without really getting all that musical. But the director really wants music to underscore the Chorus. I have access to a guy who builds and plays weird instruments for a hobby, so if I'm lucky he'll have it or something like it that I can record.

Thanks TTFA, No Gravitas, and Hedningen! Sorry to throw a curveball at y'all so soon after asking for help.

note for own use: currently reading page 16

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Feb 18, 2015

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Anywhere I can go to learn about banjo maintenance? I have a Jida (some kind of Korean make; got it after my grandfather died) 5-string banjo, lots of time, but a tiny amount of free cash. I've posted in this thread a few times (most recently about using a diddley bow for a play; the director nixed that in favor of more traditional scoring at the last minute :( ), but it seems every time I talk about music stuff I get side-tracked by school or work and forget. Right now I've got a month-long gig lined up and I graduate in a few days, so now might very well be the time.

The thing is, I've had this thing for years. Re-strung it a couple times but it needs some screws replaced and the head tightened (it's been lying around for a decade or so) . If I have the time, maybe I'd like to install a geared tuner for the fifth string - the current one is held on by a single screw, and it gets loose. I have access to a pretty good set of hand tools and know how to use them (and with a little cajoling could probably find my way to a full wood-shop or luthier's workshop (I've got some amateur luthier acquaintances) so my main concern is finding documentation on how to do these things.

edit: yeah, I could just google this. But how should I know if the first few hits are worth a drat or not?

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 05:44 on May 7, 2015

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I have a wad of cash and nothing in my bank account right now; does anyone know a good place in LA to pick up a tin whistle? I'm in the south bay but I'll go as far as downtown, santa monica, or long beach if necessary.

• Locked thread