Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

So what is an extremely easy to use but weird musical instrument for those who are not musically inclined at all? I tried the ukulele with no success. I would love to learn an instrument, but it seems so far out especially seeing I can't get past hard on games that don't require any musical talents like Rock Band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

Rock Band has minimal relationship to musical competence. People who are excellent musicians can often be terrible at it.

It's really in your head though ; you just need to find something simple and learn to enjoy practicing. It took me three tries to find an instrument that clicked for me where I really enjoyed just playing the same simple tunes over and over and over so I get could get the basics down.

Uke was actually a pretty good starter because it can do basic rhythm and chords for pop and rock quite easily, while having a relatively low initial investment.

As others have said, penny-whistle and ocarina are similar, but are melody instruments.

Do you sing? If so, I'd pick up something that can do basic chords, like your uke.

If not, a basic melody instrument is probably a good bet, like the above whistles and ocarina.

(And mandolins do both. Play the mandolin ; mandolins are cool.*)

*I'm not biased and all, no sir.**

**No content. I just like nesting foot-notes.

With the Uke, I have found that I am not good at all with stronged instruments. I think their is just too much going on by strumming and pressing down on the neck at the same time and it feels a bit overwhelming. I can sing, but not well. I am leaning towards a basic melody instrument. Are their any others besides the whistles and the ocarina?

• Locked thread