Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Speaking of instruments from China / surrounding areas, I happen to play the erhu. I was visiting Christchurch last July, and there was this awesome instrument shop (Gandharva Loka, which is closed ATM due to the September / February earthquakes), which happened to have an erhu, among other things (such as a couple of Tibetan horns). I can ask questions about the erhu, if anyone's interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Right, then, I'll do the best I can.

Name: Erhu (duh). Translation: Two-stringed barbarian instrument.

Description: It's a spike fiddle, very similar to the violin (but with only two strings instead of five).

Cost / availability: I have no idea. I got my one at that store I mentioned (Gandharva Loka, which could possibly re-open in the future - the owners have expressed interest in re-opening) for NZ$250-ish (can't quite remember).

Why it's cool to play: Because you can play all sorts of music on it, including some violin music. You play it sitting down, with the instrument on your leg and the bow held horizontally between the two strings. The strings are tuned to D and A above middle C.

Pics / videos: Look on Wikipedia or Youtube. This is a good website: http://www.philmultic.com/home/instruments/erhu.html.

If anyone has further questions, I'd be happy to have a crack at answering them.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Looking at some clips, it can sound relatively similar to the fiddle. Got any comments on what aspects of playing it differ from fiddling, what new perspectives/angles it gives you? What kind of music do you play on yours?

In terms of differences compared to playing the violin:
- Instead of playing it horizontally, you play the erhu vertically.
- There isn't any fingerboard on the erhu.

Apart from that, I'm not terribly sure.

I usually play stuff from the book my teacher ordered from Beijing.

• Locked thread