Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

I was visiting my parents last weekend, and realized that we've had an appalachian dulcimer hanging on the wall for years (which my dad probably found at a garage sale). I'm not sure if it's actually any good; it seems like it might be intended just for decoration. I didn't take pictures, but it only has three rather thin seeming strings, for tuning it has wooden pegs that you kinda press in to lock in place, and one of the strings is a bit low and buzzes against the first fret. Any idea if it's even worth messing around with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

I inherited a good, proper mountain dulcimer last weekend. It was in my grandparents house, and my aunt finally gave me the go ahead to take things. It's a McSpadden; originally a gift of some sort to my grandparents; and was just sitting in one of the guest rooms (lots of random instruments floating around, but many are decorative or in awful shape).
Really not feeling the 'traditional tuning' though (C, G, Gx2), it makes some things easy, but also really limits what you can do. Are there any other good tunings that counter the fret placement and offer more variation without turning one string into the 'accidental string'? At the moment I'm enjoying messing around with a Jandek inspired tuning, but would ideally like to focus on something that I wouldn't need to completely change I want to play song A vs song B.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Will try that. After looking at some videos, it seems the default configuration is designed to make it really accessible to nonmusicians: press stick on 2 notes, strum everything with a giant pick, and you don't even have to touch the strings. Makes music instantly, but is also very limiting. I'm actually thinking about just restringing it to four notes, which could give me an off-key string and make anything playable (currently has 2 strings together, but the bridge has 6 string slots so it can be reconfigured).

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

I respread the strings to be even, and messed around with a few weird tunings. Mostly more trouble than they were worth (for now at least) so for the moment will probably just go with C-G-c-c#. I can just keep my right pinky on the bottom string to mute it and it's essentially a three string until the need arises.
I should theoretically get a lighter string for the c/c#, right?

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

nerd plus rage posted:

I used to play Appalachian dulcimer when I was way younger. I've been thinking of getting back into it. Does anyone know where I can get one in New Orleans? Craigslist doesn't have any. (Preferably less than $150 or so). Thanks!

e: Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, I don't follow any other music threads.

(late reply but) I think the cardboard dulcimer is generally recommended for that price ($50ish), sounds pretty solid for what it is. You'll need to get it online though.

• Locked thread