Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

First, this is a really awesome thread and I really look forward to the bagpipe discussion ; if there's a cheap way to get some uillean pipes up in this, I might have a new instrument to learn.

Also, I can recommend the mandolin. It's small, easy to carry and can be used in a lot of different genres. Playing Irish music with it is relatively easy (Haha, I will never, ever have to leave first position under any circumstances, gently caress yes.) Plus, Rogue sells a good one for about a buck and a half.

In addition, the whole mandolin-family/guitars tuned to fifths are pretty good, bazoukis, mandolas, mandocellos, and are really cool. Most big guitar/music stores will have an old zouk that no one has touched forever that they'll sell you for a song.

The only down-side for newbs is that playing courses instead of single strings is really hard on your fingertips for the first bit, but after a week or two you will have scary monster death calluses.

I was given a mandolin a long time ago from a friend and this thread reminded me that it is a terrible shame that I have not done anything with it. Its been about, oh, 5 years since I received it. Should I take it into a shop and have someone check it out? I'm sure I at least need to purchase a new set of strings. Besides a tuner, can you think of anything else a beginner should have?

I can read sheet music, but I have never tried reading tabs or played a stringed instrument, so this shall be interesting.

edit: Also, thanks to this thread, I can identify a lot more instruments when listening to background music and movie soundtracks. It's a shame that there's so many to try and so little time.

Sanguinary Novel fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

The mandolin is an A-style Johnson, and like you said TapTheForwardAssist, it wasn't that expensive. From the reviews on Amazon it sounds like its a decent and cheap beginners mandolin.

One of the biggest complaints is that the action (which I believe this is a photo the right part) is too high. If you can't read the ruler due to the blurry-rear end pic, it's about 5/8ths of an inch off the body of the mandolin. Not too concerned, it's probably something a newbie wouldn't notice anyway.

I'm going today to pick up the strings, tuner and of course, some music! I'm really excited to play tonight.

The only thing I'm not excited about is that drat string cover plate thing at the end of the mandolin; it will not stay on at all. When I turned the mandolin on it's side it promptly fell right off. Is it just a cosmetic thing?

• Locked thread