Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
screaden
Apr 8, 2009
I really want to get a bowed psaltery, but all the places I've found that are located in Australia that sell them seem waaaaay overpriced, will buying from the US be my only option for a decently priced one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
TTFA, do you have any offers on helping goons find good used accordions/concertinas? I'm not exactly on what makers/brands I should be looking for or what are reliable ones. Most of the ones I've seen in Australia that I recognise are really expensive, and are brand new

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
The thing is, it's going to be a gift for my brother's wedding/birthday (happening around the same time, he's mentioned a few times how he'd like a piano accordion), so it's difficult to tell exactly what music he wants to play with it, I know his love for it was really borne out of listening to Beirut, and other european music, particularly eastern european (he came back from Russia with a balalaika in tow), but his musical background is in jazz. And now he's married an Irish girl, so I guess there are a lot of musical styles he could try.

With that in mind, I was thinking concertina, for price reasons and versatility, if such a thing exists with these instruments. Plus shipping from the US isn't a huge deal, it will still probably work out cheaper with the ridiculous markup on instruments in Australia

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Holy crap, that was waaaay more information than expected, however it was incredibly useful. It doesn't need to be a super secret purchase, but I would prefer it that way. After reading what you've said though, I think the Bayan might be the best option now, his musical background is one that he would be easily to pick anything up and adapt his knowledge to whatever he wants (he has been playing for about 25 years now) and it also fits well within my price range. Either way, I've got a very good starting point to have a thorough search.

On a somewhat related note, I'd like to give a big thanks to TTFA for this thread, he puts an incredible amount of work and research into his responses, just for the sheer love of music, and for me, I've uncovered a lot of new music through this thread, and even though I have enough new exotic instruments to learn myself (balalaika, mandolin and charango), I check this thread every day to learn something new

• Locked thread