Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Fly
Apr 9, 2009

Delivered fresh since 1991!
This thread is so awesome.

People have already given alot of my suggestions, BUT if I'm not mistaken, nobody mentioned the jug. Jugs were used in Jug Bands, which is a style of the Blues that was usually found by rivers.

From Wikipedia:
"The eponymous jug sound is made by taking a jug (usually made of glass or stoneware) and buzzing the lips into its mouth from about an inch away. As with brass instruments, changes in pitch are controlled by altering lip tension, and an accomplished jug player could have a two octave range. The stovepipe (usually a section of tin pipe, 3" or 4" in diameter) is played in much the same manner, with the pipe rather than the jug being the resonating chamber. There is some similarity to the didgeridoo, but there is no contact between the stovepipe and the player's lips. Some jug and stovepipe players utilize throat vocalization along with lip buzzing, as with the didgeridoo.
The swooping sounds of the jug fill a musical role halfway between the trombone and sousaphone or tuba in Dixieland bands, playing mid- and lower-range harmonies in rhythm."

(this here is my jug)

Here's an example of a jug in action..basically it sounds like a tuba when you play it right.

a video of a jug band in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwo6HVTacYs

NOTE: If you're a brass player of any kind, you'll pick this up pretty quick. But for me, this is not a particularly easy instrument..I'm still trying to get the hang of it. Alot of fun though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread