Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
If I were to pick up one of the toy accordions mentioned on the previous page, how difficult do you suppose it would be to pick up a few simple tunes? I'm not looking to become some sort of musical genius overnight, just be able to squeeze out a few sounds that don't sound like death and be mildly entertaining at parties. Could I realistically do that over the course of two months or so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
Wow, thanks! Pretty excellent of you to go into such detail!

I'm going to a very VERY liberal arts school in the fall, and I have a few guitar-playing friends, so I'm certain I can find somebody to dick around with it and teach me how to use it. The only musical experience I have is with a trombone. Could I possibly compare a slide to the bellows?

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
I got my toy accordion today as a graduation present. :swoon:

Can anybody recommend a decent site for basic tabs? I'm finding things here and there, but no big collections.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
It is indeed a seven button accordion.

@Sneaksie: Thanks a lot :)

I'm looking specifically for the music for Simon and Garfunkel's "Cecilia", if anybody has a clue as to where to find it or how I can convert regular sheet music to accordion tabs.

Edit: I am absolutely musictarded, so if I'm getting ahead of myself please tell me.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
This is so exciting. :buddy:

I get your instructions, but how so I go about playing a string of notes that are all push or pull? I was looking at the Row Your Bowt PDF and I found that I was running out of air by the time I got to the third note. Am I just pushing/pulling too far?

Edit: Or is it just a matter of pulling it out with the air button between notes?

Grape Juice Vampire fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 3, 2011

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
They did make sense. Thank you for spelling it out for me, I really appreciate it.

I've been playing with my accordion for a few hours now, and I found some really awesome websites for simplified sheet music. One is tabs4toyaccordion.wordpress.com , which is pretty much just as the name says. Not a huge selection, but it did help me pick up a few songs really quickly. It also directed me to Harptabs.com , which is a gigantic selection of harmonica music. When using diatonic tabs, subtract three from every number and bam, accordion tabs.

I have to thank you so, so much for inspiring me to pick up one of these things. I'm having an awesome time learning to play it. Once I have the money i think I'm going to look into having it tuned up professionally like you suggested. Thanks so much for all your help, man. Redirecting my friend who wants to play the ocarina to this thread.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

ChurlishToff posted:

I picked up the recommended toy accordion off of amazon and its going to be :krad: when it arrives. Is there any recommendations for a starting point because I really want to jam as soon as possible.

Welp, the accordion I got came with a little instruction booklet. It'll give you the basic scale and a few tabs for little nursery rhyme type songs (it is, after all, built for children). Play the scale a few times to get accustomed to the motion, then try the tabs they give you. You're going to look really lame playing "London Bridge" for a few days, but it'll get you used to fingering the keys.

Because I'm totally musictarded, I just went straight to using tabs. They're easy as hell to learn and you can find a lot of familiar songs. Tabs4ToyAccordions is written in the 1-7 format, but it's kind of limited. I personally like to use Harp Tabs, which is a site for harmonica music and has a huuuge selection of songs in every genre. Simply go to search, select "diatonic" under harp type, and search for whatever song or genre tickles your fancy.

Most diatonic tabs are in a 4-10 format. Just subtract three from every number (4=1, 5=2, and so on), and bam, accordion tabs. It takes some getting used to, but it's honestly the best website for those too lazy to learn to read sheet music (ie: me :v:).

Note: Not every diatonic tab will work, as some will go lower than you can play, but feel free to improvise. I can usually find a way to disguise a missing note with a little tooling around.

Edit: I should also mention that not every song using harmonica tabs will come out sounding nicely on an accordion. Things with lots of repetitive notes (eg Blackbird by The Beatles) tend to be the worst in this case.

Grape Juice Vampire fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

GJV, did you do the reed-taping mod I mention back on page 6?

The stock toy has two reeds for each note (so four for each button, two push and two pull). Those take up a lot of air, but you can cut that in half by putting some masking tape onto one of the two reeds for each note. The other good thing about that is that if one of your two reeds is more out-of-tune than the other, you can tape the more off one and have just a well-tuned note.

I still need to get around to doing a YouTube tutorial on how to tweak these, but if you pull out the metal pins to open it up it's pretty visible how these things work.

Note also on page 6 I explain how you can either play tabs (as GJV advises) for song melodies/harmonies, but you can also play just chords to back up singing. I can dig around and see if I can find, or if necessary, make a chord-chart for the toy accordion.
I haven't messed around with guts yet, mostly out of fear of breaking it. The only button I've had issues with is the 7 key, which sounds really wheezy and high-pitched to me. I'll give it a try once you've made the video. :)

• Locked thread