Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

Argali posted:

What about the bermimbau? I've always been interested in it ever since I heard it used on Sepultura's Roots.

...but I've never bothered because I already play guitar and bass. :smug:

I can field this one. I'm a capoeirista, and as part of playing you learn the berimbau. For capoeira, the berimbaus are part of a bateria, which is a line of all the instruments accompanying the game. Other instruments in the bateria include the atabaque, which is a djembe-like drum, the agogo, which is a cowbell, the reco-reco, which is a resonator with notches along the top that are scraped to make a ratcheting sound, and the pandeiro, which is a tambourine.

For the berimbaus, there are typically three voices. The gunga, which is the lowest, plays the basic toque for any given song. Next up is the medio, which is the middle voice. It plays a standard toque and then a variation on it. The highest voice is the viola, which improvs and plays solos over the notes laid down by the other two. One way to think of them is like the bass, rhythm, and lead guitars in a band. Bass lays down the time, the rhythm plays variations with the beat, and lead does his thing.

Playing the berimbau well can be pretty tricky for an instrument that produces only three notes. The three tones are an open tone, played with nothing touching the wire. The closed tone is played with the vintem pressed against the arame and struck below the vintem. The other tone is a buzz tone, which has the vintem or dobrao pressed lightly against the arame so that it vibrates against it, rasping. Where one holds the berimbau in relation to the torso also affects the sound due to the resonation from the cabeca (the gourd). You can get some really neat whoomping sound effects from good positioning.

This is the iuna toque.

Here is samba de roda (note that he's playing it slowly, as that is an instructional video)

^^^^^^

Grape Juice Vampire posted:

I got my toy accordion today as a graduation present. :swoon:

Can anybody recommend a decent site for basic tabs? I'm finding things here and there, but no big collections.
I just got one too. I found a site called http://abcnotation.com that seems to have a pretty decent amount of songs. I'm not sure how easily they'd transpose, but there is a harmonica site that I like, https://www.harptabs.com, that has a lot of songs.

Sneaksie Taffer fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread