Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I noticed a random mandolin G string in one of my favorite shops, yesterday and decided to let the boy combine it with an un-used pickup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COFsf9Lwk0k

Best 59 cents ever spent. All of you make a diddley-bow. What other instrument would you be willing to let a five year old play with a tack hammer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

platedlizard posted:

That looks awesome, I'll save my old violin strings and give it a try. That'd work, right? edit: I don't have a pickup though.

Shorter diddley-bows like the one my son helped build have trouble projecting sound, seem to have limited adjustment in pitch, and lack any sustain until you throw a pickup under the string. Then they can be absolutely :black101:

If you want to go acoustic, I'd suggest a low E guitar string and a larger liquor bottle, cigar box, or somesuch as a better resonator.

I'd go acoustic to avoid buying a pickup and amp. Unless you already have an amp, then just make sure the pickup you buy can handle synthetic strings. Not sure how a regular pickup would take to a steel core string if you are using those.

Edit: I hate flautists with a fiery passion and just ordered two fifes...

E2: I was talking about bugles today and my wife wants me to get one sometime after Christmas. :neckbeard:

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 10, 2012

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Your PM box is full.

TL/DR: I am probably ordering a serpent by spring if finances are what they should be and thanks.

Edit: Checking on the 4 string you suggested before bed, I have been outbid. Oh well, another time. Ordered a Lee Oscar 1910-C harmonica as a consolation prize :v:

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Dec 11, 2012

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Any chance you could do a more in-depth write-up? And is there a source for a decent one that doesn't cost the better part of a grand?

My wife and I have started putting a little money away each week to buy instruments as we can and that looks like a decent way to have something like a fiddle in the house while still being different.

Also, anyone in the thread buy this gadulka yet? http://bulgariana.com/product_info.php?cPath=88_86&products_id=2706&osCsid=0ebea6d3c42f9c518ef122dc4a45c11d

Having lost an auction on a dulcimer, I am thinking of rolling the fund into one.

Edit: This is the cheapest rebec I have found so far that still seems worth buying or just the cheapest:

http://www.mid-east.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=REBR&eq=&Tp=

And here is a guy who built his own and has a nice link section:

http://crab.rutgers.edu/~pbutler/rebec.html#9

And since I noticed it while looking into the rebec, anyone able to comment on the quality of the balalaika from Mid-East?

http://www.mid-east.com/items.asp?Tp=&iTpStatus=1&Cc=Bllk&CatName=Balalaika

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 11, 2012

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Knowing this, I wouldn't buy any Mid-East instrument unless somebody in that instrument's fandom suggested it.

I was going on some "good enough to get you going without being trash" posts in the balalaika world. If their reputation is that spotty, I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

...For rebec, Paul Butler's site (the Rutgers one you link above) has a ton of links at the end for sellers. It's a bit out of date, but generally useful. For semi-affordable ones, I'd mainly look at Early Music Shop out of the UK; they have soprano rebec kits for about $200, completed about US$350... Rebec isn't so dirt cheap that I'd keep one just for kicks...

I wasn't considering one when I started looking into them, but for the price of a soprano kit, I would get a little project with the kids and a neat instrument to kick around. Having spent more on rifles I have less use for, I'll probably end up grabbing one in the spring. That finally makes an instrument I want just because of this thread. And I guess the thread can take partial credit for my serpent and gadulka desires; I had wanted them already, but it presented affordable examples.

I guess I'll post a list of the instruments I am looking into getting in rough order of priority (In other words, #1 is happening ASAP and the rest unless I get distracted by other noise makers cutting in line) since many of them seem to be in the spirit of this thread:

1. Serpent: I have wanted one since middle school and the budget is tentatively in place.

2. Gadulka: Debating between a student model with two drones or saving a few more bucks for an entry-level with bunch-o-drones. Probably save more because they aren't that much more expensive than the two drone model.

3. Fairly spartan drumset based around a suitcase bass: Percussion isn't really my thing, but a friend of mine is doing her level best to make sure the kids love it.

4. Bugle in G: Bugles are fun :buddy:

5. 30 key C/G Anglo concertina: I like the sound and would like to try my hand. Worst case, it doesn't work out and my accordion nerd friends have something to noodle with when they visit.

6. Rebec: Be a neat project even if it doesn't get taken very seriously as an instrument.

7. Euphonium: Played one for a couple of years and I miss it.

Floating. Mountain dulcimer: Preferably three-string but four would be cool. Whenever I find myself with some immediate cash leftover from some other budget, I look into them. Not something I would use a whole bunch, but

99. Rotary valve trumpet in Bb: Because rotary valve trumpets are the coolest things ever.

I'll probably continue only taking brass (mostly trumpet) seriously, a tin whistle as my fun instrument of choice, and the ukulele because I can't help but love the thing while fiddling with the rest as a change of pace. It should make for a neat collection hanging on various walls, give guests things to clang about and stop whining that I don't have cable, and expose the kids to a decent variety of instruments in hopes one speaks to them enough that they stick with it for life.

Edit: I still hate flautists, but have to respect their embouchure. This fife is making some terrible sounds I never thought possible.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Regarding the above:

- It's not that rebec isn't taken seriously...

- For concertina, if you're willing to do a little simple DIY (the button sleeves fix here), I can get you a used Italian-made starter 20-button GC for $65 plus shipping. I have several of these I haven't gotten around to re-sleeving.

I more meant that I wouldn't take the rebec seriously and just fart around with it now and then as the mood struck. I can see one of the kids or my wife getting into it, though. Watch me eat crow on this one.

And expect a PM about that concertina. I didn't expect my list to get me a deal that quickly.

Edit: Elephant Revival is still rocking a washboard and it is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3lUfUWt69c

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 13, 2012

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

...In the modern day however, the bugle is primarily a ceremonial instrument in the military, though a lot of that role has been taken over by recordings of bugle rather than a live player. Most military bases I've been on would sound a bugle recording over the outdoor PA system for Morning Colors and Evening Colors, and some for Reveille and for Taps. I never personally saw a bugle on deployment in Iraq or Afghanistan, and I think it's a shame that the .mil didn't spring a few bucks to buy some for the larger bases for funeral details, but it appears that a scattering of folks overseas have gotten ahold of bugles for those purposes.

This female airman was apparently the only official US bugler in Iraq in 2008
...There is also some demand for volunteer buglers for military veteran funerals. If you have whatever combination of love of brass, patriotism, and/or enjoy funerals, it could be an interesting way to play a role in the community as a bugler. The group for that is Buglesacrossamerica.org, and they can get you in touch with ceremonial details that would welcome a bugler.

Note that you don't have to be military to be a volunteer ceremonial bugler, and you don't even have to have a traditional bugle so long as you have a related instrument:

Please, please, please, if you can play Taps, actively volunteer for military funerals. I almost had to play my grandfather's funeral when the National Guard sent a proper color guard at the last minute*. I'll let the maker of some of the finest trumpets in the world explain:

"We don't produce the field trumpets as a money maker by any means. The more important thing is what they are to be used for. As long as players are performing Taps live, I am a happy man whether they are doing it on a Getzen, a Kanstul, a bugle, a trumpet, or a length of garden hose and a funnel. Anything is better than a recording on a boombox or those wonderful little digital bugles. " - Brett Getzen

Taps is a very big deal to military families to the point my stone cold, Semper-Fi, kill-'em-all cousin broke down in tears when he saw the color guard roll in on time for the funeral. He hugged the bugler. The only hug I have ever seen the man give anyone but his daughter. Even when I fell out of music for a few years, Taps was the one thing I practiced regularly. Just show up in a nice shirt and tie, play Taps, stand by quietly and then you can leave. However, the family is almost certain to ask you to the reception as some token of thanks.

* Even in small, nothing going on New Hampshire, these guys are busy as poo poo and you are lucky if you can get them to a funeral.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

My wife has decided that she likes learning tin whistle, so I gave her a Feadog in D. She promptly told me that she likes my Clarke better and now I am stuck with the brass thing. Debating learning to deal with it or buying myself another Clarke and giving the Feadog to the girl.

Bah, the answer is obviously buy myself a new Clarke, keeping the Feadog for a chirpier sound when I want it and giving the girl her own since there really isn't a reason to not have a pile-o-whistles in the house. :v:

Edit: And now my wife wants to try her hand at recorder. We should just busk as a hilarious family street band of cheap woodwinds and random trumpet voluntaries.

Edit edit: Still suck with the fife. A friend is a band director, so I am going to break down and ask her to show me a decent embouchure the next time I see her. And she will mock me after all the years of poo poo we gave the flute section.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 18, 2012

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Some boring serpent chat:

I am currently getting myself on the build list for Kaiser Serpents. In case anyone cares, his prices are going up to probably around $800 and the build-list is currently at a six month wait.

He also told me that there is no difference between a delrin and wooden mouthpiece as far as playability but the delrin is a bit more rugged.

E-mail is a slow process with him, but I should be reporting in with a serpent in about six months :neckbeard:

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Are you fixing to perform with this at all, or more just for personal enjoyment?

Mostly personal enjoyment, but I may get sucked into busking with a friend if I get decent with it.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

A Rogue Mandolin was on the counter when I got home from work, tonight and I promptly popped one of the G strings :eng99: I'll re-string it over the weekend and try not to gently caress it all up.

It is pushing all of the right ergonomic and aesthetic buttons for me. I think it may give the ukulele a runs for its money as my string instrument of choice. Probably not, ukes are fun as can be. And nylon strings forever.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Bought a Gibson G string that is as old as me for the new mandolin and slapped it on when I got home. Then my wife started fiddling with it and told me to order her a mandolin of her own. This is getting to be an expensive month.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

TTFA, I just noticed that you are keeping up with with your goon:instrument list and thought I would drop mine here with some initial impressions and maybe some pictures later if the lighting holds:

Mandolin*, Rogue RM-100A: Fiddybux, shipped, at Musician's Friend with a guarantee seemed like a very low-risk gamble and it paid off. Also, a goon in this thread made mention of Rogue being a decent intro mandolin. Mine came in with a decent action, seems like it will hold tune well enough when the strings break in, and the tone is fine for mucking about in your living room/back deck/maybe jamming with another instrument or two. It is looking like I will like mandolin as much as ukulele and if so, I will be upgrading to a nicer one (not sure if A or F body) with a proper set-up from the shop. The kids will then be free to hammer on the Rogue. I'm not sure I would recommend a Rogue to someone else, but if you feel like a gamble, you could make a worse bet.

Tin whistle**, Brass Feadog in D: Not sure what to say about it other than tin whistle kick rear end and it has a more pointed tone than a Clarke by far.

Harmonica, Lee-Oskar 1910-C: Haven't really done much with it outside of some random "tikka toodle." The reeds seem well done and it sounded nice in my howdy-do? out of the box. It is hanging out in my ukulele case for a slow day when I am better with other stuff and want to try a simple tune with something different.

Cigar box guitar: A friend swung by my place a few weeks ago with a so terrible it is awesome three-string. It sounds fine and I will muck with it after I get handy with ukulele and mandolin. I have never played any member of the string section before this year, so it may take a while before I get to it. And my dad came by last night with the beginnings of what will probably be a two-string acoustic...thing. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Diddley-Bow: Mandolin G string, cheap acoustic guitar pickup, mostly built by a five year-old. It is a hilarious good time.

Fife, Yamaha YRF-21: I have always made fun of flautists and decided to fill the recorder shaped hole in my heart with a fife. I am half-assedly working on getting a workable embouchure and leaving it as another rainy day toy. Mostly just to be available to the kids, honestly. Another specific model picked when confirmed decent by this thread.

Ukulele* count? If so, I have a Kala KA-ASLAC: It sounds great and has a proper setup from the shop and Aquila strings. It survived a two year-old dropping it on the floor. I am completely :swoon: for this thing.

Electric organ: About a year ago, my wife's grandmother gave us the organ that her mother used to play and we have had trouble with the main fuse. Before I got a chance to look at the wiring, one of the kids smashed some keys with a tack hammer :cripes: It is now a long-term project to get working again. I am not a piano person, but the kids would love it and I have friends who like to noodle on pianos so it will be a nice social addition to my cable T.V.-less living room when finished.

One of my friends is a band director who did her level best to get the kids into music back in my work-midnights-have-two-jobs-stop-playing-instruments phase. So they have always had a pile of toy instruments from her and loved playing her drumset and piano when she baby-sat. Now they are old enough to start some proper instruments and my wife and I cut some spending and are tossing some extra cash into piling up an instrument collection in the hopes the kids will at least find one that speaks to them and they will stick to. Another friend likes fiddling with instruments at parties and yet another friend seems pretty supportive of keeping accessible/inexpensive enough instruments about. The kids have started asking if we can all dig out the pile of instruments and just have at it before bed a few times a week and it is pretty much my favorite dad moment. The neighbors probably disagree :v:

* Stuff I plan to take seriously. After my trumpet because brass is tops always and forever.

** While I don't take it seriously, I do play with it all the time and enjoy the hell out of it.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

The Onion posted:

...I can’t say I’m disappointed when I think about the amazing sound we could create with this many mandolins...

A bunch of mandolins can even make Gotye sound good :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMeoFaYqgTI

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

TapTheForwardAssist is a cool dude:

The :krad: patch has a date with some velcro to be used on everything.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Glad you like it, picked up that one in Tajikistan.

Have you had much chance to muck with the Anglo yet? Finding it intuitive? Already opened it up to see how it works?

Not yet, in-laws visiting, skiing with the kids, breaking in a new pair of Koflachs, and work have me spread thin the last couple of weeks. I plan to dig into it Saturday or Sunday evening while a concertina-having friend is hanging around.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

No worries, looking forward to hearing your impressions.

Anglo is particularly intuitive, though (for beginners at least) less flexible than the others. A 20-key is basically two harmonicas side-by-side; a 30-key adds a bunch of alternate buttons and chromatics in that third row. Butch, if you find any YouTube tutorials that you like that work for the 20-button, that'd be good to hear

I've fiddled about with the concertina for a few hours over the last few days and it is looking to be pretty intuitive right now. Picked up this book http://www.amazon.com/The-Best-Concertina-Method-Yet/dp/0825653681/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1358871816&sr=8-4&keywords=concertina and it is a decent song book. I'm working on smoothing out my performance of Careless Love right now.

As for Youtube, I have pretty much struck out. There are a decent number of bideos of people playing and the best I can think to do is try to emulate them with the good old-fashioned "loop the video and guess/check guess/check guess/check until your wife files for divorce" method.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

The first button on the right hand of the concertina TTFA sent to me started sounding like a dying truck horn on the push and further inspection revealed a randomly bent reed. A dab of tape has the offending reed quarantined. Is there any way to straighten a reed without trashing it or is tape my best option outside of re-reeding?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Is the model you have 2 reeds per note, not just for the push-pull, but as in has two reeds playing, say, D simultaneously? So when you've isolate the bad reed you have one other still playing for that note?

Yes and yes. And this note:

I'll head to the concertina forum and ask them, thanks.

Edit: Anyone know anything about the kemenche and what to look for in one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhNjf62F1XE

http://www.susato.com/konakart/String-Instruments/Kemenche%2C-Rebec/Mid-East/Kemenche%2C-3-string-with-Rosin-%26-Case/KEMC/2_2809.do

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 18, 2013

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Let's say I got a bonus at work, hit the local brewpub with a friend, came home and ordered a 13 string gadulka and totally not a bottle of rose brandy. What should I tell my wife when it comes in? If I mix her a drink with the something other than no stamp paid brandy I didn't order, will she be less likely to club me with the wonky Bulgarian fiddle-thing for not double-checking first?

Edit: At least I had the self-restraint to not order a tamboura while I was at it. And I want one pretty badly.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 24, 2013

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I just recently got an email from Bulgariana alerting me to their new gadulka instruction book, which appears to be the only such book in English, so consider dropping €12 on that one in your order.

Just so people know what to expect, I ordered a gadulka from Bulgariana a month ago and my order is still listed as processing. I'll wait another week or two and e-mail them to check on the order. And I have to e-mail Kaiser serpents again to make sure I am on the build list as he never confirmed my request :f5:

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

A busker bolted a bunch of stuff from his kitchen to a guitar, ripped off five of the strings, and plays it a a pretty groovy diddly-bo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AAPuaLxjWc

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I have only futzed with the concertina a little bit since TTFA sent it to me and it seems about time to post a starting update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC9a3VMxk4Q

I'll eventually post another update after I get a chance to spend some proper time with it.

Edit: You can hear the single reed on the top right button on my right hand and how it meshes with everything else being a double reed.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 15, 2013

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I've sent a few e-mails to try contacting the builder about getting on the list for a serpent, but no reply for months. Looks like it isn't happening for now. :smithcloud:

But a beat up, wrapped package from Bulgaria was signed over to me yesterday, so I can be happy that my collection has grown a little :yayclod:

I ordered a 13 string Gadulka from Bulgariana and it was delivered exactly two months later. Now to find out what to do with this rose rakia. I'm thinking it would do well dropped into a mango lassi in place of rose water.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 25, 2013

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Anyone here familiar with the domra? I just impulse-bought one on Ebay :shobon:

Also, TTFA, my wife just finished her finals and the last bits of my AR are inbound, so I should be able to get that autoharp back together in the next few weeks after I get caught up on sleep and the in-laws go back home.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

The impulse-purchase four string domra finally arrived:

At the same time as a lead dust collector for my air rifle :neckbeard:

It is just a bowl-backed mandolin with single strings. It could be a pretty versatile instrument, and it has a sharp quality versus the mandolin's shimmer, but is hard to find in the States. I'd just as soon get a mandolin and play pieces for four string domra as go through the trouble of trying to find one over here and then pay the price. It really makes me want to find a good three string, though which would better stand out with its tuning.

As wall art in the dining room and occasional plucker when friends are over, though, I don't think it was a bad purchase. One friend noodles pretty well with my mandolin when he is over, and this should play well with it.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

That is pretty good for cranking out a tune by ear on a week-old instrument, man. Nice job, you are on the right track :)

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Long time no post.

Spent my afternoon grilling and drinking assorted beer with a friend while Mad Caddies shiny new Dirty Rice album cranked in the background. Ordered a pbone as a result of our mostly sober conversation that he should play bass balalaika and we should start busking as a terrible ska band with a couple belligerent friends.

Currently noodling with trumpet as I have for years and being a former euphonium player, as well, any suggestions for learning trombone for those who already know a bit about brass?

And some quick updates:

Concertina: The squeezebox needs regular fiddling to keep minimally functional and I would need a better one to take it seriously. It will happen in the next few years. Very grateful that TTFA sold it to me and let me realize how satisfying it is to play.

Ukulele: Stalled by domestic life and other hobbies, but I noodle around with it when I have a bit of free time.

Mandolin: Don't have time, but it is super fun to play and pretty easy to learn for a string. More of you should get one.

Gadulka: I really hope to give it some real time once the kids are older and need less constant supervision. Finding someone to help me with bowed instrument form would help a bunch.

Harmonica: Still not my thing no matter how much I want to like it, but available for the kids. Same for Yamaha fife-thingy.

Penny whistle: Fun on a bun. All of you buy one.

Assorted Autoharp and stuff TTFA gifted: Set aside until the kids are old enough to make projects of.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Some sleeve and button arm issues plus "I'm learning as I go servicing this thing." Which is fine to toss in a bag on a river walk, but I will want a sturdier Anglo in a while.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I'd build a PVC, step belled alpenhorn in a heartbeat if I found myself some cheap/free pipe.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Double-Post for terrible picture of full size Pbone that, sadly, does not match the Delica 4 in my pocket:

The embouchure is pretty different than trumpet and euphonium, But I think I will take to it fairly well. While the included translucent mouthpiece is cool, a proper metal one would be a decided improvement in tone. And I am going to have to play a bunch to expand my brass player's bald spot* as my mustache is on the rim of the mouthpiece.

And, I don't know why I am, but I am surprised the Pbone has a spit valve. The thing is a neat piece of kit. My son already thinks it is super cool and I may get him a mini Pbone in orange once my finances recover/I finish other projects.

And I am about to e-mail my high-school band director to see if he can suggest some learning material.

* Play brass regularly and you develop a semi-circular bald spot on your upper lip where the mouthpiece is placed.

E: One friend who busks regularly plays accordion/classical guitar/four-string domra/is trying to learn electric violin, another friend plays accordion/trumpet, one more is a percussionist and new band director, and I play ukulele/trumpet/tin whistle. Once I get this Pbone down, best or worst ska ensemble? :v:

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 3, 2014

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I keep wanting a three-string mountain dulcimer and spending the money on other hobbies when I have it. Probably going to break down and just get a cardboard box model. It would be right at home with my wire spool deck tables:

Also, thread needs more brass, that H.N. White King Liberty belonged to a professional jazz musician and made a living for his wife and kids. His widow kept it after his passing, and their children gave it to me when she died. None of them played and wanted it to see continued use.

Also also, my high-school band teacher got back to me and is offering free trombone books for me. And offered to let me rummage through his bike boxes in his garage for parts to fix up my mother's old road bike from the '80s because he is a massive cycling nerd. Now I'm hoping he doesn't retire until my kids get a chance to study under him for a while.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

:swoon:

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhLfLjkYWkQ

A bones player in this thread should ape this with a gourd or gascan banjo player. Barefeet mandatory.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Domra!

A four-string domra is just a mandolin with single strings. Same tuning, same pitches, same quality of sound. Where a mandolin has double string for a shimmery sound, the four-string domra is a bit simpler and clearer. Ebay has decent used ones in Europe for basic mandolin pricing. A mandolin instruction manual or tutor will also easily be able to teach her.

The three-string domra is slightly more traditional with a unique tuning for a neat sound. Also available at decent prices but not quite as common on the used market to ship stateside.

Either is smaller, cheaper, and easier to get than a balalaika. But you should go full retard and comission a bass balalaika for her, pay the :retrogames: shipping, and have her found a street band with it :getin:

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I have a 13-string gadulka hanging on the wall of my study from bulgariana. The transaction was slow (should not be surprising) and I was more than hapoy with it.

Reposting the four-string domra I briefly owned before selling to the goon friend I bought it out from under :toot:

E: Topher, TTFA is giving solid advice. But if tour friend sings, does she wamt a string or purcussion instrument to accompany herself? Small woodwinds are cool and more people should play them, but they would compete with ainging for her time.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 10, 2015

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Let's say I wanted a cello to lean in the corner of the study to further the goal of having my kids grow up with an assortment of instruments to try out. And mainly for dicking with at midnight after a few drinks with friends. How terrible a decision would this clunker be?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00770MKOA/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_lu1-vb00V795X

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Any good piano accordion primers? Just ordered a cheapie 17 treble, 8 bass key D'Luca on sale.

Not a D'Luca but close enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

D-d-double post:

Improvisation on the treble keys is easy but I'm a fumblefuck who can't manage the bass keys at the same time. In a few minutes of dickeryy, I'd say this little bugger is easy to just pick up and make something resembling music but a concertina is going to have a shallower learning curve.

As for quality, the keys aren't the most responsive, the bellows have little volume so require constant work, and the tone is fine. I'm pretty happy with the warehouse pricing from Amazon and look forward to seeing how much drunken horsing around it will survive. The bellows don't seem to be made of a particularly quality material. And I need to learn to get along with a keyboard since I've never spent time with one, before.

E: Well drat, that guy I linked playing a toy accordion is from the Granite State. :byobear:

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 17, 2017

• Locked thread