Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I have a fairly good instrument store near my house; do you think they would have (good)ocarinas and tin whistles? I don't know which I want to play yet, or even if I do want to play one, but it seems like an interesting skill to learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

I'm thinking of getting a kalimba, and I heard these are good. Any thoughts?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Hey, I found this 10-string Lyre Harp on eBay for pretty cheap, and it looked interesting. This said, looking through the thread, I didn't find anything exactly like it. Is it a King David's lyre? Why do people claim it's Celtic? If this is a legit thing, can anyone point me to a place I could learn it? I was thinking of getting a simple string instrument like this. If it's not legit or worth getting, any suggestions of things like it? The kantele is the only thing I can think of.

On the other side, I was also considering something percussion. I find myself naturally tapping out tunes on any surface I could find, and thought it may be fun to find a hand percussion instrument. I would likely want something portable and cheap, so I was looking at some sort of steel tongue drum or the the CajonTab. This said, I am open to suggestions. Any ideas?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Coohoolin posted:

I can make myself available for anyone wanting to learn the mandolin or the Irish bouzouki. I can also do Skype lessons for a small fee if anyone's interested.
Which would you recommend to someone fairly new to music? Which is more expensive? Can you recommend a particular beginner brand for each?

• Locked thread