Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ok, I just scanned (with a camera) a book from 1950 called "Folk Songs of Alabama". It's full of these short, simple little songs with lyrics that I think would be great for people playing the sort of simple folk instruments we see in here. I'm just wondering, what's the best way to host a big gallery like this? It's 102 images, each image containing two pages of the book.

imgur will take a while to upload, I think I'll start on it but I'm interested in hearing any other recommendations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

It was too big to go on minus.com, but here's the PDF (warning, it's 138 MB, I left the pictures at pretty high quality):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ole583ygv5jrd6/songs.pdf?dl=0

The first few pages are kind of lovely looking, but that's just the introduction/forward. Once you get to the music, I started to figure things out a little better and it looks decent.

Edit: Table of contents

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 19, 2014

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The strings are settling in while he makes the soft bag. Soon... soon!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Maaaaan, that is pretty. You definitely have to record us some YouTube tunes once you get that running.

What kind of strings? They don't look like unitary strings, they're twisted fibers, yes? Horsehair or synthetic?

Black horsehair, he was going to do roan but decided on black in the end.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Jouhikko ships tomorrow and should be here by Friday. I'll probably work from home on Friday just so I can get my hands on it right away.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

THE JOUHIKKO IS HERE

I had to pick it up at the USPS sorting center because I gave the wrong address (typed a 5 instead of a 6) but it's in my grubby little mitts now.

It looks awesome and sounds pretty neat. I'm going to talk to the maker in a little while and see if we can work out the tuning properly.

I'll take pictures tonight when I get home from work. Maybe a Youtube video, but it would just be me playing the open strings because I can tell air-fretting is going to take a lot of practice.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I am bad at photography:

Lighting was sub-optimal so the colors don't really show properly.

Recordings to come, I'm getting better at bowing and I'm making notes on the chanter string sound better.

I spoke to the luthier on the phone Friday and we discussed playing & maintenance techniques. Other people interested in jouhikko might appreciate the string naming/tuning info I got:

Tonic: The string furthest from you, always played open. Generally tuned to F or G.
Drone: The center string, usually played open and always in concert with one of the other two. Tuned a 4th (5 semitones) below tonic, so generally C or D depending on the tonic's tuning.
Chanter: The string that's closest to you, on which the melody is played. Tuned a 2nd (2 semitones) above the tonic, so a G or an A.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I discovered last night that "We Three Kings" fits in the range of the jouhikko and actually sounds pretty decent. We'll see if I can manage to play it properly tonight while recording.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My wife is Indian, which means of course there's a harmonium tucked in a corner of her parents' garage. At least, there was a few years ago. Next time we go over we're planning to grab it since no-one else is using it.

poo poo yeah, harmoniums! They're like half of an accordion!

Edit: Also, my wife says she wants to try tabla... anyone here bought a set online? I'm wondering if I should go ebay or amazon.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 26, 2015

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Harmoniums are awesome, though I satisfied my desire for one by getting a concertina instead, which sort of meets the same need. If we can ask, what culture in India are your wife's parents from? Given they have a harmonium but don't play it, my gut guess would be Sikh.

Sindhi, actually. The harmonium is home now and I spent some time playing with it Saturday and Sunday. Seems to be in pretty good shape and plays fine. Three octave range, two drones, three stops, and tremolo. I mostly bashed out poo poo like A Whiter Shade of Pale and Greensleeves because I had the sheet music handy.

Ho boy, we had a discussion about exactly this issue back on page 41: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3415486&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=41

Take a glance at that back-forth and let me know what you think. For the rest of y'all, the issues I raised with the other goon is that tabla is not really something you just pick up and muck around with. It's not really just a drum, it's pitched percussion, you can't just whack on it rhythmically and expect to sound remotely like a player. It's a drum you actually have to routinely tune, even adjusting it between sets. If you seriously want to do tabla, you probably need to go to a tabla teacher. Worth reading is Pete Lockett's e-book on learning tabla basics: http://www.petelockett.com/lessons/essential%20tabla%20guide/ESSENTIAL%20FREE%20GUIDE%20TO%20TABLA.pdf

If you're determined to get a set, I'd really stick to serious musical instrument dealers, since guys on Amazon or eBay likely know zero about drums and are just opening a huge shipping crate from a random factory in Pakistan and chucking it in a box for you. An actual musical store like the Ali Akbar College of Music shop in Berkely has stuff as low as $200 some, and that way you'd be much more confident in getting a working drum, properly QCed with all the proper gear. I'm all for finding bargains in music gear, but if you're brand new to an instrument and want to play more than make it a rebuild project, especially when the price isn't that high, choose a trustworthy dealer: http://www.musiciansmallusa.com/tabla-sets/

I looked at the back and forth... I'm going to try and convince her to go try an introductory class at the local Gurdwara or something, just to get some time at the drums, then if she likes it we'll try to buy a pair from Ali Akbar College. It sounds like she wants tabla specifically, so I'm going to focus on that for now.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I've been saying forever that I need to learn more Indian harmonium licks on concertina, and then I don't get around to it. And at the moment I can't because I'm vagabonding about the South and don't want to carry a $4k concertina with me. But if my money/common-sense ratio increases, I have a vague vision of someday going with my concertina to a real harmonium instructor and telling him "teach me to do on my thing what you do on your thing".

Do you perform much, or mostly play at home for fun? Harmonium is unusual enough that I can see it adding some zazz on stage.

If she's aware of how tabla works and the role it plays, and still wants in, by all means give it a shot. But I would definitely start out with some formal instruction first. Probably want to find a teacher prior to buying the set, that way you can get some shopping advice from the teacher, and have someone to help you inspect them as soon as they arrive in case there are any flaws.

Tabla is a really amazing instrument, it's just that whenever I hear anyone say "I want to play tabla" my reflex is to ensure that they aren't thinking of tabla as just something you can smack on rhythmically.

The harmonium is pretty drat cool, even though I think this was a cheap one... one of her relatives left it at the house years ago and never came back for it, so I assume it wasn't anything too fancy.

I don't perform, not since high school band. I did clarinet, bassoon, and bass drum (marching band) back then. I love playing but I'm not much good if I don't have sheet music to read from... this may be part of why I still suck at jouhikko so much. Right now I have the jouhikko, a clarinet, the harmonium, my wife's kantele, and my home-made diddley-bow... but I'm not practiced enough at any of them to perform for other people. I could probably play the clarinet for other people if I spent some more time practicing.

She's very aware of how tabla plays in Indian music, although she's never tried playing one. We'll see about finding her a teacher, although we're probably moving in the summer which means 1) the next few months will be busy, and 2) we probably won't be able to find a teacher in the new place. Like I said, I think the Gurdwara has free lessons, which could be a convenient way for her to get some basic instruction. Then we have until our move date to get up to AACM and check out tabla sets.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Meldonox posted:

I've been following this thread for years and I think this might be the right summer for me to learn a weird instrument. I have some history playing recorder as a kid and trombone as an older kid, but I was never terribly good at either. I own a guitar and banjo that I'd like to learn, but I figured before I start trying to vet instructors I'd check here to see if there's something that fits my situation well:

I have a commute; I know people deal with worse, but it sucks for me. I spend about an hour in the car every day commuting and I live less than ten miles from the office. Needless to say a fair portion of my day is spent listening to lovely music on the radio and waiting for cars to move so I can move forward a few inches more. What's something fun and cool I could practice in the car? Price isn't a huge concern for the right instrument, but it would need to be small enough to play in the car. I understand I could practice guitar or trombone behind the wheel, but I'm looking for something that wouldn't be unwieldy.

I'm down with ocarinas and tin whistles, but I figured I'd ask in case there's some other recent thread darling. I'd try nose whistles like this Vietnamese guy, but I don't have the sinuses for it and it GUARANTEES I'd get in an accident where my airbag would deploy and give me a lobotomy.

Five-string kantele?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

goodness posted:

I am looking for a string instrument that is portable and I could learn to play a variety of Grateful Dead and other rock/jam songs of that nature.

consider a guitar? :v:

I don't know, maybe a mandolin? Or a ukulele, if you're a photogenic girl with a Youtube channel.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Long ago, TTFA mailed me a Swedish spelpipa, along with a booklet entitled "Jag blåste i min pipa..." which is all in Swedish but luckily, musical notation doesn't require much explanation, even when it's your own weird custom tabulature thing.

I promised him I'd make a recording of it, but then I moved, and I'm basically a guy who sucks so I never got around to it until now. But today I pulled out the book and the spelpipa, took a few minutes to figure out one of the songs, and here it is:

https://soundcloud.com/phamnuwen/tulu-pa-logen

I like the sound way better than a tin whistle.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Syndlig posted:

I splurged and grabbed one-day shipping, so my brand new uke'll be here tomorrow! How hard is it to restring a ukelele? I'm a lefty, so I'll probably feel more comfortable swapping them out, though I'll give it a try and see how playing right-handed goes.

Restringing is really easy because the strings aren't as stabby as a guitar. Just do one at a time, take it slow, look up a guide on how to wrap the string. I've done it before on what I think was a tenor uke and it was simple.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Shame Boner posted:

The accordion is a 41-key 120-bass key Spirito Cleveland. The strap has seen better days but thankfully the bellows is in great shape. This guy's playing the exact same model:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REB16lK2N24

My brother got it for $65, so it'd be a nice little project when I have some time to spare. I'll definitely document the process and the rig I'll have to set up to keep all those pieces organized. As far as musical experience, I mained saxophone (alto, bari, tenor) for the usual grade 5-12 stint with some oboe and bassoon mixed in. I've played virtually no keyboard (even though we had a Singer upright baby grand growing up), so I'm not sure if that's good or bad as far as habits are concerned. It's been 13 years since I've picked up a proper instrument and I've been getting the itch lately.

I'd like to jump in.

Bassoon: so good, right? But also so absurdly expensive for even a babby model, and they just don't feel much like a solo instrument.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

If anyone else in here is playing around with bowed instruments, I cannot stress enough how important it is to rosin your poo poo.

I've never felt like I was getting a very good tone out of my jouhikko. The luthier said he rosined the bow before sending it, so I had sort of discounted that as a possibility. But, as I found my tone getting even weaker and weaker until I could barely coax a note from the thing, I ordered a $3 stick of rosin.

Holy poo poo! Once I'd applied it, even a slightly touch of bow to string brings sound! It's amazing.

So yeah, don't be a dumbass like me, just order some rosin (I got https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002OP0WC/) and use it!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

nielsm posted:

I got it for free from my brother, he was about to trash it anyway so it's not a huge loss if it's unsalvageable.

I've managed to tune it, but the tuning mechanisms were difficult to turn, would it be bad to give them a bit of WD40? I'll check the frets again when I get back home.

WD40 is a cleaner, not a lubricant. Don't put it on wood. If the tuner has metal gears I'd recommend using PB Blaster to clean followed by maybe some 3-in-1 oil or silicone lube to lubricate.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

nielsm posted:

Yes metal tuning mechanisms.
I've never heard of PB Blaster before, looks like it's marketed as an automotive product? I'm not entirely sure what the equivalent would be, since I don't think it's sold over here.

Basically, WD-40 is a terrible lubricant and it's not a very good cleaning product either. You can use it to clean if you must, I guess... just spray some into a bottle cap and dab with a q-tip. PB Blaster is a great penetrating cleaning agent but when I think about it, it might be a little too aggressive to use around nice finished wood like an instrument.

A light dab of 3-in-1 oil would probably do wonders for the gears.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

aricoarena posted:

You call that a balalaika? This is a balalaika!

I'm actually not sure if it's a bass version or an entirely different instrument.

The Red Elvises use one too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q8A-bvQLP8

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

*in an extremely Carnac the Magnificent voice* the thread will say... Native American Flute

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Keeping this thread out of the archives with a song by one of my favorites, Stan Rogers, which includes significant Northumbrian Smallpipes starting, oh, 1/3 of the way in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQSEn-SZzpM

quote:

In his songbook, Songs from Fogarty’s Cove (1982), Rogers writes, “Grit Laskin plays Northumbrian Smallpipes, see, and I thought it would be nice to have him play them on the album. But the pipes only play in the keys of F and E-flat, and I had not songs in these keys, so I had to write one.” From such humble beginnings…

(https://singout.org/2012/04/09/harris-and-the-mare/)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

Does anyone know where you can pick up a Mandolin for 20 -> 40 bucks?

I think I got one on Craigslist for about $40 but that was 7 years ago and it needed strings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Please refer to my avatar for an excellent mandolin book recommendation.

• Locked thread