Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I can make myself available for anyone wanting to learn the mandolin or the Irish bouzouki. I can also do Skype lessons for a small fee if anyone's interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Which would you recommend to someone fairly new to music? Which is more expensive? Can you recommend a particular beginner brand for each?

I would start with the mandolin if you're new. It's tuned in 5ths all the way up like a violin and there's loads of accessible tabs and practice exercises available online from a large mandolin community. Irish bouzouki is a trickier instrument that requires a bit of previous musical knowledge to deal with properly given its playing style (a melody and rhythmic combination for counterpoint), and because of the unorthodox tuning (GDAD, three 5ths and a 4th).

I don't really have a preferred beginner brand, it depends on where you are and what's available. Ozark are pretty ubiquitous around here and they make mandolins and bouzoukis., My "beginner" mandolin was a Stagg I ordered off amazon drunk one night (best decision I ever made), and then I picked up an Ibanez for $300 when I was visiting my grandparents in Phoenix. Make sure you try A style and F style mandolins, they have pretty different sounds.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Rime posted:

My Merlin/M4 is proving to be super fun to noodle around on and way more intuitive than guitar, but it's also kinda making me wish I'd bought a mandolin because learning songs by ear via watching people play on YouTube is incredibly incredibly hard.

Got that same issue with the bouzouki. Slowing down Andy Irvine videos is a paaaaain.

But yeah should have got a mandolin, they're intuitive as well and there's a wealth of resources online.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
It does look fun, what's it tuned in, dad? Although why not just buy a dulcimer?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
What they said. I started just playing off of tabs and reading Chris Thile interviews for technique. I then had to change technique for playing Neapolitan or classical stuff. Basically try to play as many different types of music as possible.

EDIT: I'm absolutely exhausted right now but I'll do an effortpost tomorrow about basic techniques. I've been playing for nine months and made great progress so I think I might have some insight to share.

Coohoolin fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 30, 2017

• Locked thread