Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
My mother-in-law had a mandolin randomly collecting dust and around a month and a half ago I decided to give it a try. I think I'm picking it up alright, although my hands suck at some of the chord shapes I think I'm getting better with time. My biggest concern at the moment is that I'm doing something incredibly stupid that is going to bite me in the rear end somehow (holding the neck wrong, placing fingers wrong, strumming wrong, all the above) and I have no idea how concerned I should be about this.

I've scoured mandolincafe and watched videos/mandolessons/etc but all the advice seems to vary from "if you're not in pain everything is probably great" to "OH MY GOD IF YOU PLANT YOUR FINGER/GRIP THE NECK/BEND YOUR WRIST YOU WILL BE CURSED TO AN RSI/CARPAL TUNNEL/MEDIOCRITY FOREVER".

Basically I'm completely new to playing any instrument and was wondering how concerned I should be about... everything ever, I guess. I don't even know if this is the right thread for this, just randomly clicked the ad and saw mandolin talk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread