Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bolkovr
Apr 20, 2002

A chump and a hoagie going buck wild
Anyone play the banjola?

I have a regular banjo but it's too loud to practice in my thin-walled apartment, even with a tshirt stuffed up under the head. I wonder if a banjola would be quieter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolkovr
Apr 20, 2002

No, I didn't know such a thing existed. Thanks!

Bolkovr
Apr 20, 2002

You could find a stand of bamboo and make some panpipes/quills.

edit: ok your edit made my post nonsensical. But the idea stands.

Bolkovr
Apr 20, 2002

Got my Xaphoon in the mail today. Woodwinds are hard! I think I'll have to go walk down in the woods and honk the poo poo out of this thing to learn proper mouth control. Don't want to the neighbors to think I'm raping goats up here.

Bolkovr
Apr 20, 2002

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Definitely a danger. Do you have any reeded woodwind experience? If no, you might see if any of your friends who play clarinet or saxophone can help you tweak your technique. Good call on the xaphoon, neat little things. What colour did you get?

Nope, no reed experience at all. To quote clarinetist Ferris Bueller, "Never had one lesson!"

I took it to work yesterday and after everyone left and I was working alone I made a game attempt at figuring out how to make a sound. It's hard! I can barely choke out a note. I've been watching Youtube videos to try to get a sense of how much mouth pressure, etc, I need but that's hard to judge. I guess there's only one thing to do: give up practice!

Bolkovr
Apr 20, 2002

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Again, an hour of practice broken into 3-minute chunks three times a day for a week beats an hour of honking once a week, so don't be afraid to set it down and pick it up in a few hours.

Yeah, I think that's the tack I'm going to have to take: just get to where I can blow a C reliably. Right now it's 50% steady C, 50% agitated goose. I will say that I find the sensation of having my top teeth directly on the mouthpiece to uncomfortable. I need to get over that. On the plus side, I went ahead and bought a second Xaphoon so I can keep one in the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolkovr
Apr 20, 2002

Roxxfan posted:

:words:

Wow, good stuff! Thanks for posting all that. I got my 2nd Xaphoon in the mail yesterday and I can tell the reed on this one is much better. The first one had a hole in it. And then I was stupid and cracked the reed so I need to stop by a music store and pick up some more. I will try a softer reed.

• Locked thread