Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Hello weird instrument thread! I have been reading the thread for a couple of weeks, enjoying clicking all the links and learning a lot about instruments I never knew existed. So thank you so much for all the info.

I ordered a couple of things already. A Native American style flute from Wind elf flutes - as I'm an Australian and I like to order local, even if it's weird to buy a NAF from an old Australian hippie. It's a simple bamboo flute in a low key. I want to play for relaxation and meditation. And I have little musical talent.

I have, and play, a ukulele but I have chronic pain issues which make it hard to play too much. I was super excited to discover the mountain dulcimer - a cool stringed instrument you rest on your lap! I'm in love! I've ordered a cardboard one from Backyardmusic, and if I take to it, I'll get a wooden box made or something. I love the idea of making (sort of) your own instrument.

My partner plays a didgeridoo. I just showed him the didgeribone videos and he got a good chuckle out of it. You mentioned it has been a controversial instrument. For the record he's Aboriginal and he thinks it's pretty cool, especially the young bloke who goes around to schools demonstrating the instrument and makes modern music with it. Why not? Maybe I'll get him one, one day.

Did you know in Aboriginal culture women aren't supposed to play the didgeridoo(sorry if this has already been mentioned)? And if you do, you might get pregnant? How? Don't ask me, but I haven't been game to try.

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
I have been playing my NAF, thank you Thread for introducing them to me. You're right they are the easiest instrument I've ever come across.

I had someone make me a custom (Classical)Kemence and it is beautiful <3

The maker was really cool, reasonably priced and he sent pictures of every step of construction which was really interesting.
Of course as a bowed instrument it's not one of the easiest to learn so I'm making slow progress, but it's been fun! I'm in love with the sound of the instrument so hopefully one day I can do it justice.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Both! I like Turkish music but there is no possibility of a teacher so I'll be self taught. I really just love the sound so I'm going to experiment with it.

• Locked thread