Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

So far as A=440 (modern concert pitch) vs. A=442, note that A#=466hz, so A442 is only 1/13th of the way to even being the difference between a white and a black piano key. And in whatever case other buyers seem to say it's not an issue. I'd say so long as shipping sounds good it looks like a plan.

Yeah, with most wind instruments the player can easily change the intonation by a lot more than that just on accident. If you can actually hear the difference between 440 and 442 then you will probably also be able to correct your technique to play in 440.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

No Gravitas posted:

French horns are crazy complex. Here is a very good explanation of history and how it works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK0UFgnrIqY
You need the valves. Valves are complex.

A Good Video.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Hippy drum

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

the 480 page "Essential Guide to Irish Flute and Tin Whistle"

This a decent book but it is incredibly massive. I can't believe that they didn't make it spiral-bound.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think it is still possible to play good music on a thing with no literature and no tradition.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Danknificent posted:

I'm learning piano. :colbert:

An unconventional choice.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Gonna google up when/where the Irish pub sessions are in Austin and take it out for that. I'm not amazing at squeezebox but it's an incredibly simple instrument and appealing in its minimalism, so I figure I can just ease my way in.

Be prepared for some serious stinkeye FYI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Definition of a quarter-tone: two tinwhistles playing in unison.

• Locked thread