Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buford Hectorman
Feb 24, 2003
this is a great thread, wish it was around when i was in college and really into this kind of stuff.

if anyone is interested in balalaika, in my limited experience it is hard to find ones with decent tuners. i got a nice balalaika from a relative in moscow but the machines were terrible by guitar (my main instrument) standards.

i found some better replacement tuners here http://www.imperskaya.com/tuning_pegs.htm but you have to check the peg spacing, etc. there's a lot of variation in balalaika design. i had to slightly modify the headstock of mine to make it work.

now i just have to figure out how to chord with my thumb without developing CTS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buford Hectorman
Feb 24, 2003

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Great find, dude! lovely tuners are all too common, but on a lot of instruments really easy to replace; balalaika not so much since you need a really long shaft on the lowest key. If folks can't find tuners that fit right, and have a not-valuable balalaika, you can always just get some decent banjo or ukulele friction tuners, since those just go straight through the back and so the wide head won't matter:

i was actually about ready to give up and use banjo tuners on my balalaika when i found that site. the stock tuners were that bad. had to grind down the headstock and the baseplate on those replacement tuners but it ended up working great.

• Locked thread