Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

So I've thought about getting one of these for four and a half years, and sat on a waitlist for a while and fuuuuuuuck it's amazing

Hot drat dude I'm quite jealous. Those sound freaking awesome and I want one realbad. I thought about getting a Hapi drum instead because they're cheaper, but that's what I really want.

How loud is it compared to other hand percussion instruments like a djembe or doumbek?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

Alright, I've caved. I've bought a cheap Walton tin whistle off Amazon and it's in the mail, and I've already decided that once I like it I'm gonna buy a couple Generation ones afterwards and give the Walton away.

I'm also getting a set of Scottish smallpipes made, but I won't get those until March or so, which works out because I still need to focus on the highland pipes and get my basic sets up to performing levels.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Ooh, whose waitlist are you on? Have you yet chosen your configuration, and types of wood and mounts? I have but have still not go around to using a low-pitch sackpipa chanter that's just gorgeous figured birdseye maple with black bison horn mounts.

Here's an example of mesquite with moose antler by Banton:

Wow that's a gorgeous looking set! I'm going to be getting a set from EJ Jones with the 4 drones and hopefully both A and D chanters if I can spare the coin. I haven't settled on a wood/mounts just yet. My initial leaning would be mopane with either blackwood or a black horn type of mount, but I think next email I get I'm going to ask him if he has any really cool/unique ideas for pipes that he's been wanting to make. I want something unique more than a specific look but I definitely want wood that is light enough to see the grain. I'm just so tired of seeing blackwood pipes with bland mounts.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

I really like mesquite; I think Dow was the first American to publicize it for smallpipes, and somewhere on the internet there's an old glowing paper he wrote on that wood. EJ Jones has done mesquite in the past, and Nate Banton got into it a few years back for smallpipes. It's very dimensionally stable so bores stay symmetrical over the years, and it's very lightweight which is good for the passel of stocks laying across your arm. I'd at least discuss the idea with Jones. Would look good with either very light or very dark mounts.

I'd suggest talking to Jones a little about alternate tunings and the like, as he's above-average into those. Personally, though I'm a lovely smallpipes so play sackpipa instead, having the additional back-thumbhole to play in Am was amazing. And you can always temporarily plug that hole if you want to have just the standard holes, so it's really no additional hassle. Jones might also have some tricky little mods to drones allowing you to set them to unconventional combinations.

Do you have a really clear reason for wanting a D chanter? Recall that the Amyx standard chanter does Dmaj just fine. A D chanter you'd mostly want for playing in Gmaj in whatever tradition. If you want a second chanter just for general shiggles, the C is an oft-overlooked option; fingers in Cmyx so can pull off Fmaj and the like. But you can always just get your set first and order others later.

Did you intend to play SSP before, or did you get into them because of this thread?

I'll definitely ask about it, I've also been looking around and like the way Orange Osage looks too, but we'll see what he says when we get back to corresponding, he's been travelling a bit it would seem.

I'll definitely ask him about tunings, as it seems like he plays in very unconventional ways on a lot of tunes. As far as why I'd want a D chanter, I like they way they sound having listened to as much as I can on youtube, and from what I've read the D can be useful for playing a lot of Irish tunes, which I enjoy.

You may be the perfect person to ask this, but I've got a buddy who's learning the concertina, and he picked up one of the Rochelles. I wouldn't mind being able to learn some tunes to play along with him, but I don't know enough about the instrument to know which options of SSP chanters would be better to go with it.

I intended to play SSP before, I've wanted a set ever since I've started playing GHB. I go camping at renfaires a lot (yes I'm a huge nerd) and while I can play my GHB out there, they're usually a little too loud, so I wanted something a little quieter. I thought about getting into Uilleann piping too, however being able to play all of the tunes I've learned/am learning on the smallpipes is what made me go with those first.I also figured I'd dip my toes in the water with a tin whistle to get my Irish tunes kick. I'll probably end up buying a David Daye practice set at some point in the future because I'm an idiot.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

Verloc posted:

So glad I stumbled across this thread. A wealth of information to be had here! So I've been working on joining the ranks of godawful loud caterwauling GHB goons. I found a reputable instructor, got my mitts on a practice chanter, and have been drilling diligently for the past month or so. (gently caress you, gracenotes, gently caress you so hard :argh: ) Another few months and I might actually be able to carry a tune in a bucket. Even still, I'm having a blast ticking 'learn to play an instrument' off of my bucket list, and climbing the learning curve of playing pipes.

TTFA: Earlier in the thread you gave pretty detailed breakdowns of non-GHB pipes at various points. You mentioned several subspecies of smallpipe and how they're generally superior to GHB for not splitting eardrums and/or getting told to go outside during pub jam sessions. How do the various smallpipe fingerings compare to GHB fingering? While my ultimate goal is to be able to deafen small children at 50 paces with Scotland the Brave, being able to play something a little more laid back while drinking beers on my porch would be nice, and I'm curious as to what kind of cross-training would be necessary for that to happen.

GHB Goon here, and basically ditto for everything TTFA said. Getting an instructor is the best thing you can do for learning any instrument in my opinion, especially something as niche as bagpipes. Keep practicing and don't get discouraged, you'll get there! It took me, what, 5 or so months before I could play a tune other than Scots Wha Hae or Amazing Grace, but now I can play a bevvy of street marches with our band.

If you're looking for exercises to help with embellishments, I recommend the book "Rhythmic Fingerwork"

http://www.hendersongroupltd.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=474&idcategory=409

It's a series of exercises developed by the author to help playing. No actual music is in the book, but I've found the exercises inside to be very helpful for increasing the consistency and timing of my embellishments, as well as identify where I have trouble with crossing noises and eliminating those. It's a good book.

News regarding smallpipes - I actually have a meeting with EJ Jones scheduled for early December, he's gonna be driving back from the West Coast and he's gonna swing through Central Texas. There's a solid chance he'll have a few sets of smallpipes with him for sale, and I might just pick one of those up instead of going through the ordering process, and hopefully I'll get a chance to kick back and talk shop with him for awhile, ask about alternate tunings, learn what I can from him! I'm beyond excited.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

Verloc posted:

Awesome thanks for the rundown. It seems like the mouthblown Dunfion set would be exactly what I'm looking for since I'm planning on sticking wholly Scottish for now. Thanks for the recommendations.

Ordering a copy of this. I'm just now getting comfortable with the barest of bare bones basics but gracenoting has been a huge pain in the dick for me so exercises that'll help that are high on my list of things to do.

Awesome. I also recommend (as the book does too) playing the exercises with a metronome (I use a free online one) and remember that almost every embellishment begins on the beat, not before. I say almost because some pipe majors like having the heavy d throw start slightly early so the first "D" is on the beat meaning the low g grip is slightly before, but that kind of style is very band-specific, your instructor will probably teach them to be on the beat and that is the correct way the vast majority of the time.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

Been slowly taking my instruments out of storage in DC to prepare for the move to Austin; I don't have much stuff and I want to take care of my music gear so instead of a pod or movers I'm thinking to just rent a cargo van for a one-way and drive it down. Adds gas and cheap hotel costs, but otherwise really comparable and avoids me having to take a flight, plus I won't have to leave behind wine, cleaning supplies, and other stuff that's probably worth a couple hundred that I can't send with movers or on a plane.

I am legit excited for your move back to Austin, I think the only local goon meet I went to was very shortly before you moved, and I only got in to this thread since after then. While no means an expert I've enjoyed learning some Irish trad music on my whistle and flute. I've also been meaning to write up an effort post about the great highland pipes, as motivation for preparing for my first solo and band competition later this year

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

I've been to the main Austin session at B. D. Riley's in years past, I think mostly with mandolin, and haven't had trouble. On the melodeon I can set it for just one reed per note and it's pretty quiet. Riley's is a "serious" session with the kind of players who fly overseas to go to training camps and stuff like that, but despite that were pretty chill.

In all seriousness once I get settled in I might see if I can get one of the local pubs in my neighborhood to host a "slow session" for more basic players like me on one of their quieter nights, just network a few folks to definitely show up that night and then see who else drifts in from internet announcements.

The Fiddlers Green shop has been hosting slow learning sessions as well. It's okay but it lacks personality. They have more advanced sessions every Sunday as well.

If you do want to start up a slow session let me know, I will bring my flute and whistle.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

I know I'm way overdue for an update on my highland bagpiping (I had my first solo competition in November) and my flute and whistle playing. I also bought a cheapo C/F two row melodeon because it was cheap (literally for no other reason) but I'm so excited I've gotta post

I just bought a Gold Tone Cripple Creek tenor. They're gonna string it for me in GDAE at the Gold Tone factory, hopefully it'll ship out tomorrow. The shipment tracking obsession begins.

edit: Also I've got a Dixon TB022 Low Whistle/Flute combo that I'm not using any more if any goon is interested I'd probably part with it for a reasonable price.

Korwen fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 22, 2016

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

Turtlicious posted:

Does anyone know where you can pick up a Mandolin for 20 -> 40 bucks?

Yeah at this price range you're looking for a used Rogue or something like that, likely to find it on Craigslist. No guarantee that it'll be well set up or playable, but if $40 or so is your budget then it doesn't leave a ton of options. For what it's worth, I've seen success stories over on MandolinCafe about people who buy cheapie Rogue mandolins and give them a good once over themselves using a setup guide and get a pretty playable instrument out of it.

Outside of those, you're looking at stepping up to a Kentucky or Eastman, and you'd do well to find a used KM-150 for $200-250 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

Crust First posted:

Mando Questions

The best advice I could give is to find a teacher nearby and start taking lessons, especially if you're unfamiliar with playing stringed instruments. It's a lot tougher to break bad habits the longer you reinforce them. That being said there are a whole lot of books and other online resources for mandolin playing that should steer you in the right direction. If you go on MandolinCafe and search for beginner books you should get some decent results.

I did exactly that, and these were the results I got. Worth noting, I have not read these books, they're just the ones I found from searching. "Complete Mandolinist" by Marilynn Mair, "Mandolin Primer Book for Beginners" by Bert Casey, and "Beginning Mandolin" by Greg Home.

As I stated, I have not read those books, they were just the most recommended ones I found on the Cafe.

I've only been playing for 2-3 months and the mandolin has quickly became my favorite instrument, I find myself reaching for it more than any others, and I'm really excited to learn more styles than just the Celtic music I've been playing.

• Locked thread