Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I'm contemplating using a current recording project I'm working on to justify buying a banjo. For reference I am a guitar player. Because of this, I'm thinking of getting a 6 string guitjo, but as I was researching, people kept saying that these are never going to be able to completely emulate the 5 string banjo. I know it has something to do with that weird halfway-up-the-neck 5th string, but I can't seem to find any specifics of how close I can get the guitjo to emulate banjo sounds. So I guess what I'm asking for is specifics about the banjo and what can't the 6 string do that the 5 string can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Jarmotion and TapTheForwardAssist posted:

guitjo stuff
Thanks for the advice!

Honestly, I'm not sure how much I would actually pursue banjo playing. Like I said, I'd be getting one to add some tones to some tracks on an album I'm working on. The album has a deadline, so optimistically I would like to be able to just pick it up and apply guitar techniques with a bit of practicing of banjo styles to "get the gist". The album is singer songwriter indie pop, so it doesn't need to sound immensely true to any particular sound.

Outside of this particular project, I am also an avid jazz musician, and having read about the likes of Django, et al. using 6 string banjos, this sort of piqued my interest in the 6 string. That said, I think I may stick with an inexpensive 6er, and if I get bit by the banjo bug along the way, I'll buy the 5er. Thanks again for the advice.

• Locked thread