Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Oh, fun! I just acquired a cheapie lapsteel from a musician's friend sale, and coming into this thread to get some info on lapsteels I see this lovely concertina post. A quick check of craigslist shows a "sunrise" anglo in my area with a hard case for 75 bucks-- it appears to be the same generic concertina for sale on musician's friend here. For the price, is that a fun one to mess around with?

In terms of fun, folky instruments, I'm still getting a lot of use out of the Sanshin I bought in Okinawa. Tap, you said you used to play in some older posts, yeah? I found a pretty fun book of traditional tunes in the second hand store as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

Thanks for the advice on the concertina! It turns out that the guy who posted the advertisement forgot to leave any contact info whatsoever. :eng99: If he ever updates it I'll go check it out, and if not I'll just stick with what I have going at the moment. The "how to check it" advice is appreciated!

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Any particular goal in learning lap steel, or just picked it up on a lark?

Trying new instruments has been my hobby since I was about 12. I was always the fill-in guy in school and I have the most fun just learning a little bit about everything. I was surprised I hadn't got around to lap steel when I saw the sale and couldn't resist. I'll try and post a few pictures this weekend. I'm really interested in trying to figure out how to do bluesy stuff on it. I'll probably start with C6 tuning for foundational technique but then move on to more blues friendly stuff.

Sanshin & Shamisen

The cool thing about the standard Okinawan tuning (I can't speak for the mainland) is that it's Mixolydian. I learned the notation but then spent months just doing bagpipe tunes on it until I knew where everything was.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

Arthur Godfrey was a television talk show host who used to give Ukulele lessons back in the 50s. I remember reading that a lot of people were buying cheaper plastic ukulele's then, I never knew they came with a helper. You still see those things sold for guitars sometimes.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

No Gravitas, did you find Ocarina material you're happy with? I can recommend a Korean book that is fairly rigorous-- looks like it was meant to take a student/class through as much basic music theory and technique as you can get through on ocarina, including triple tonguing if I recall. I'm kind of attached to my copy, but you're already willing to order instruments from Asia, so...

In other news, I just found out that Electric Tenor Guitars exist and I guess I'm going to have to learn how to make one out of a cigar box because they're $500 otherwise for a decent one and I must have one.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

EDIT: Remind me, are you looking at tenor guitar because of ukulele familiarity?

Nope! I mean I've messed with ukulele before, but if any prior experience would help me it might be some time spent messing with a mandolin years ago. I just almost bought a tenor banjo off craigslist and found myself thinking "Hm, it's too bad I can't run this through an amp and some effects pedals." I'd been liking what I've seen of Soares'y, though that ultra-cheap strat seems pretty great too. I'll probably just wait around and try to grab something like that.

No Grav, here is a Korean website selling the ocarina book I like. I doubt this is the best place to order from, but it at least provides a picture and some of the info. I... really didn't think through the whole "everything is in Korean" part of this, though there are a ton of ocarina books in Korean if you're willing to dig around some online booksellers!

http://book.11st.co.kr/Goods.do?cmd=detail&gdsNo=M0000000599543

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

Well, a bit of craigslist luck and I found myself with a decent tenor banjo for 100 bucks. Now to learn ragtime!

This is a great deal of fun so far-- it is like all the things I like about other fretted instruments, but easier to hold and with enough space that my fingers don't get all bunched up.

Not a ton of books out there for it, but that just gives me incentive to start hunting down antique sheet music again!

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

Outstanding! Once you get a few weeks on it, gonna drop back in here with some photos and update us on how your learning is going?

If this goes well, will you be back looking for an electric tenor guitar later in the year?

I suppose I'll have to record something and add some pictures, yeah! I found this great arrangement of the Bach cello suites for Tenor banjo, so between that and some general beginner stuff that will keep me busy for a bit.

I'd certainly like to get a tenor electric in a few months, but I'd really like to go somewhere I could get my hands on one and compare the Soares'y to that Eastwood. I figure I've invested too many hours of my life getting even semi-competent at electric guitar ornamentation to waste it, haha. Also, I feel that Clutch and other minimalistic rock would sound really good on a tenor and I kind of want to make that happen, along with running one through a distortion pedal and playing ragtime.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

Yeah, right? I listened to that and ordered the book immediately. He plays the 2nd suite on a gourd banjo and the 3rd on a bass banjo.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

QuantumCrayons posted:

multi-course with sustain

Have you considered something like this crazy piece of work here?

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

I still regret not getting a Taishigoto while I was there, but I already had enough trouble carrying home everything else! I saw them in the second hand stores almost always in the 50 to 60 dollar range. Second hand beginner sanshins in Okinawa were usually around/under 100 bucks too, but they were competing with all the touristy joints.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

Dang, if you ever change your mind and want to get it rid of that taishogoto, goon who types faster than me, let me know!

Lilljonas, if you are going to Hokkaido try looking for a Tonkori (five string lyre sort of thing played by the Ainu). Apparently folk revivalists are trying to bring them back. I don't know if it's the kind of thing you can just go and buy easily, though, or the kind of thing where everything is either cheap-touristy or heirloom-expensive.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

If anyone is wanting a mega-cheap Middle Eastern made Irish flute, this guy is selling them for fairly cheap. I made an offer a decent chunk below his asking price and still got one, and the number he has available keeps climbing so I guess he has at least a couple dozen. Quality is exactly what you would expect, but for the price I'm OK with that to have a knock around. Just be sure to have some cork grease and bore oil handy!

As a bonus, I just now bothered to figure out Dizi tuning. I found out that a Low G Dizi, the Chinese membrane flute, is the nearest equivalent to a Irish D/simple system flute, so next month's instrument is definitely going to be one of those. Also, Dizi on the tinwhistle seems like it could be fun.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

Maybe just watch a lot of Brushy One-String videos and try copying him?

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

I have a melodica. I have bagpipes. One day I will hook the melodica up to the bagpipes. A great darkness shall fall upon that day.

But seriously, has anyone else tried that before? I just don't have a spare chanter to hack up and try to attach everything.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

An emptiness I did not know I had has been filled, and I thank you for this.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

I used to live in Daegu, great place to be in Korea, especially if this happens to be your first year.

When you go shopping for instruments, you're going to want to go to 낙원악기상가 in Seoul.

Yes, there are some music stores in Daegu near National University of Education stop on the red line (I bought my favorite Ocarina out there), and they're fine, but Nakwon is just a really awesome place and I highly recommend you go there. They have EVERYTHING! You might just find the one weird, ridiculous instrument of your dreams.

The drums are pretty cool, and the two different sticks kind of thing seemed pretty unique.

There is an end-blown flute, a bit like a tiny shakuhachi, that many of the kids learn in elementary school. You can usually pick these up at a big chain grocery/department store.

If you know anything about traditional Chinese or Japanese music, traditional Korean music has an equivalent version of almost everything. Lots of lap-zithers and lap-qins for example. The haegeum is like a Korean erhu.

Here is my recommendation: an accordion. Now, it is hard to find info on South Korean accordion playing on google, everyone wants to tell you about the NORTH Korean accordion scene and how all teachers are required to learn one. Accordions were big in Trot (Basically Korean Enka) it seems, and there are TONS of places (even in Daegu!) that specialize in selling accordions. It might have less to do with Trot and more to do with something else, but accordions are serious business in Daegu. At the time, most were expensive imports but my now Korean made student models might be more widely available.

I'd also go to Kyobo and go through their music books to give you a rough idea of what is readily available, music-instructionally speaking. Also, look around your neighborhood and see if there are any music hagwons. Feel free to PM me about music stores/interesting places in Daegu. I still have at least a couple of friends there.

Edit: A Korea Times opinion piece on the state of accordion in the ROK. Apparently it just got really big with retirees and there are lots of cheapie DPRK accordions floating around.

Paladin fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Nov 21, 2014

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

No Gravitas posted:

What is that thing called? I'm curious now.

It's called a Danso. I found it more difficult than a cheapie pvc practice shakuhachi, but I'd never done much with end-blown flutes beforehand so that may have been the main problem.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

So I've been messing around with a sanshin ever since living in Okinawa. I'm planning on buying Abbott's shamisen book and learning a few songs/some technique and trying it out on an electric cigar box shamisen which... will eventually be made once I have this whole employment situation sorted out.

If I was playing it with a guitar pick, are there any techniques that are just completely unable to be adapted? I know that brush-spatula plectrum probably allows for some special stuff, but I don't know enough about what it would be yet (sanshin technique seems a bit simpler, at least form the songbooks I purchased).

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

I guess the uke thread was closed, so in the interest of keeping this one alive and answering a question, does anyone here have a Vorson solid body electric ukulele? If so, would you be willing to run it through a few effects pedals/pre-amps/what have you and record it? Bonus points if you can play some renaissance-y/baroque fingerstyle stuff like MacKillop's Spanish arrangements. I'm really interested in how that would sound, but other than someone who recorded a few short demos with one most people on youtube that have one are just strummers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

Anyone ever play a phin from the Isan area of Thailand? The tuning is similar to an Okinawan sanshin (E-A-E in this case), but it's fretted along a minor (pentatonic?) scale only, so it looks a bit like dulcimer fretting but minor.

The cool part though is that electric ones are super popular, and traditional Isan music played on one sounds a lot like psychedelic rock. They make double neck ones, too!

Anyway, wondering if anyone here has purchased one and what company they used.

• Locked thread