Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jarmotion
Jan 9, 2006
Lotek Ronin

GrAviTy84 posted:

I'm contemplating using a current recording project I'm working on to justify buying a banjo. For reference I am a guitar player. Because of this, I'm thinking of getting a 6 string guitjo, but as I was researching, people kept saying that these are never going to be able to completely emulate the 5 string banjo. I know it has something to do with that weird halfway-up-the-neck 5th string, but I can't seem to find any specifics of how close I can get the guitjo to emulate banjo sounds. So I guess what I'm asking for is specifics about the banjo and what can't the 6 string do that the 5 string can.

Sorry, actually recovering from surgery and kind of forgot my post, I have a half finished one in my notepad that I'll work on.

You'll get the same sound, and depending on the make the same timbre with a 6 string'd banjo. But it will sound different if you are looking for the same feel of the song because the method of playing will be different. I think it would be completely awkward to try to incorporate all the drone high G's... or whatever it is tuned to for whatever song, into whatever you are trying to play. And it will sound different without that string because it is rarely ever used as a melody note, but it is used extremely frequently between each melody note as part of the roll, so you may be doing a crapton of left hand work.

I imagine with the banjo sound you want, you are looking for the rolling scrugg's fingerstyle, which would actually be easier to emulate on a banjitar. Especially if it is a more celtic type piece which doesn't really use that 5th string at all since they are played on 4 strings.

In other words, you'll get the same punchy sound from the banjo-guitar as from a banjo, but that is it. I think people will be able to tell you are playing a guitar and not a banjo. But it would be much easier to play than learninga new style.

Just don't get a cheap banjo like Tap sad, cheap banjos/resonator instruments sound really cheap.

Jarmotion fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmotion
Jan 9, 2006
Lotek Ronin
Get a Deering GT completely. I love mine more than my Nechville. Amazing starter banjo that will sound better the longer you have it, and it will also be your go to takeabout banjo if you drop cash on one you are too scared to take camping.

Jarmotion fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 6, 2011

• Locked thread