Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
I would just reach out to HR people I've worked with previously who are now probably at some other place I'm interested in. Failing that, other people in my network for referrals.

Always add your HR people on LinkedIn.

They're just as job hoppy as the rest of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Bucnasti posted:

Anyone got any suggestions for working with game industry recruiters? Or recommendations for specific recruiters to work with?

Just learned that my company is "making a pivot", which will likely involve layoffs and this seems like a good time for me to jump ship. I'm a lead producer/project manager in mobile.

drat they've been expanding pretty massively too haven't they. That suuuuucks.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Studio posted:

drat they've been expanding pretty massively too haven't they. That suuuuucks.

Oh, I'm not at Scopely anymore. I moved to Tilting Point late last year to lead their distribution and deployment team.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Bucnasti posted:

Anyone got any suggestions for working with game industry recruiters? Or recommendations for specific recruiters to work with?

Just learned that my company is "making a pivot", which will likely involve layoffs and this seems like a good time for me to jump ship. I'm a lead producer/project manager in mobile.

My org has some Producer openings if you want to shoot a resume.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Bucnasti posted:

I know a place........ As long as you admit that a Wookie can't be a Jedi. :colbert:

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

fargom posted:

I know a place........ As long as you admit that a Wookie can't be a Jedi. :colbert:

Mah boy Gungi says you get get bent.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Hughlander posted:

My org has some Producer openings if you want to shoot a resume.

Hey, are you guys still looking? UK-based looking for production work, I just finished the full cycle on a game as Lead Producer.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
I desperately need good producers, US based though. Remote available but I prefer Senior - Lead to be at least hybrid.

Need everything from AP up to Senior/Lead and a Live service focused Producer.

If anyone is looking or knows someone let me know!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Dinurth posted:

I desperately need good producers, US based though. Remote available but I prefer Senior - Lead to be at least hybrid.

Relocation package? Dunno, might be worth exploring options although I'm a part home owner here.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

BizarroAzrael posted:

Relocation package? Dunno, might be worth exploring options although I'm a part home owner here.

We definitely cover everything within reason. If a big move like that is something you'd entertain let me know.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Dinurth posted:

Sorry, I'm a great producer, looks like I don't qualify :coolfish:

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

Studio posted:

Sorry, I'm a great producer, looks like I don't qualify :coolfish:

Given the quality of resumes I've been getting that's a low bar 😭

Seriously though it's loving hard to find decent producers.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I landed at Maxis and I'm super happy here. The team is great, positive atmosphere, super diverse, and they're really committed to work/life balance and avoiding burnout. It feels really good working on projects that are not as predatory as mobile free-to-play.

We are in desperate need of a highly experienced technical animator.
https://ea.gr8people.com/jobs/175624/technical-animation-director-maxis
If anyone fits the bill send them my way, we need to fast track this role.

On-site, hybrid or remote from many locations around the world are all available.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I need to be careful but I think it's something I need to talk about. I was basically unfairly dismissed from my last job a couple of months ago. A few years ago it would have been straightforwardly illegal, pretty much sacked for not signing a new contract on worse terms, which included fewer vacation days, explicitly lower status job title, a new probation period, and many structural, legal and formatting mistakes. It's quite a small company and the directors brought in a mate of theirs to do my job and told me to be a glorified tester. There was never any meetings over my performance, indeed they put off my annual pay review months past due. We went through a difficult milestone, since we were understaffed (recruitment is the directors responsibility) and it felt like my every effort to get things back on track were undermined by one of the directors, who would get on my case for not correcting other people's mistakes, including their dipshit friend booking a meeting overlapping one I booked and saying that's my fault. Had the front to ask why I wasn't more communicative with this guy, I said I could hardly be expected to be friendly with someone taking my job. He insisted that's not what was happening. He literally has my job title.

I want to know how I should be talking about it, both publicly and to recruiters. One of the projects I was on was on final approach to release candidate so I'm saying I've done the full cycle on it and that I left at the end of that, although I have been on another project that is going on until mid next year. Everyone I've talked to about it says it's hosed up what they did, should I be speaking out about this? I can imagine that maybe making me less attractive to employers, possibly only people not worth working for though. I'm already talking to my union about it, as I said earlier not much could be done as it takes 2 years to get meaningful rights, but I've still not had my P45 or remaining vacation pay.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Looks like Dinurth's been off the forums for a while, but I'm still looking for production work. Also my last employer effectively deleted over a week of vacation days I had unspent by saying those are spent on the start of gardening leave, so that's fun. I'm giving serious thought to going overseas, perhaps the US and Canada. Open to anywhere but the east cost probably suits so it's still pretty easy to come home here and there, so Montreal and New York, I think there's some stuff in Halifax as well?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

How did it go, BizarroAzrael? Did you find something?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Akuma posted:

How did it go, BizarroAzrael? Did you find something?

Hey BA, if you're still looking, I'm hiring for mids and senior producers. (Also, UI/UX folks, looking for Seniors and leads, both designers and engineers). I'll warn you, we're.... chaotic at the moment. But it's fully remote and pays well.

Bucnasti posted:

Recruiters are mostly garbage but I had decent luck with GameOn, both as a candidate and as a hiring manager.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Leif. posted:

Hey BA, if you're still looking, I'm hiring for mids and senior producers. (Also, UI/UX folks, looking for Seniors and leads, both designers and engineers). I'll warn you, we're.... chaotic at the moment. But it's fully remote and pays well.

Hey, so looking so would be great to talk about that. Looks like someone poo poo the bed at my old place as a bunch more people got sacked and more have listed new limited companies on LinkedIn so a bit easier for me to discuss why I left now.

Agencies have always been useless to me, don't know how they are making money but best I can tell they are purely an obstacle.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

BizarroAzrael posted:

Hey, so looking so would be great to talk about that. Looks like someone poo poo the bed at my old place as a bunch more people got sacked and more have listed new limited companies on LinkedIn so a bit easier for me to discuss why I left now.

Agencies have always been useless to me, don't know how they are making money but best I can tell they are purely an obstacle.

Sounds good -- shoot me a PM, and that goes for anyone else interested.

Just to clarify -- I'm not at Bethesda anymore, I left last year to take a lead producer position at Tempo Games. https://tempogames.com should have a list of openings.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Oh right I guess I should post about this here!

Ended up getting that Tokyo job I wanted a few months ago (finally Senior Engineer :toot:), it's been nice but we're struggling to find a Lead Programmer; wondering if anybody here was interested or knew of anybody :)

We're an indie studio, ~30 people on this project with another 50 or so on some other projects. We're working with C++, Unreal 5, and we offer full paid relocation to Tokyo (we're still a fully english company, though; no issues in regards to stuff like Japanese work culture/ethics). The company's quite comfy; great culture, no crunch, no microtransactions, no crypto, etc

Mostly looking for someone with a lot of prior experience in UE4/UE5 as a primary point. You also gotta be able to move to Tokyo within preferably 3 or 4 months tops (a visa is easy to get for engineers, and the company helps with it). Also, might as well say it upfront, it's probably not worth coming in expecting silicon valley wages; the pay's good but only comparable to countries that aren't America.

It's a longshot, but maybe there'll be someone interested. Job info's here, PM me if you apply, or if you refer anyone to apply, or want any more info
https://careers.shapefarm.net/jobs/2194934-lead-engineer

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Hey thread, about 15 years ago I posted in an earlier iteration of this thread that I got my first games job as a graduate programmer! My goal was to be Tech Director within 10 years, which I achieved just in time. Now I’m Studio Director of an award winning games studio yippeeeeee!

I don’t post much anymore but thanks for all the good times, folks :)

And maybe I’ll see some of you at GDC and have no idea that you’re people I’ve interacted with on SA.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Akuma posted:

Hey thread, about 15 years ago I posted in an earlier iteration of this thread that I got my first games job as a graduate programmer! My goal was to be Tech Director within 10 years, which I achieved just in time. Now I’m Studio Director of an award winning games studio yippeeeeee!

I don’t post much anymore but thanks for all the good times, folks :)

And maybe I’ll see some of you at GDC and have no idea that you’re people I’ve interacted with on SA.

I'll probably be at the Marriott Death Star on Tuesday. Find Dave Lang, he'll have bought as much Chimay as they're allowed to sell him.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Nice, congrats!

And on the topic of GDC, apparently your personal address, phone number, etc are all visible to anyone who you have accepted a meeting invite or DM with. You can blank them out here, but note that it'll then re-populate them unless you fill in the fields with dummy info.

itty bitty baby boy
Mar 19, 2007

how do you do that thing with colored text in this box
I've long wondered how many people translated being a nerd on this forum 15 years ago into a good job in the games industry. I'm one of them too! Anyhow, see you all at GDC.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

itty bitty baby boy posted:

I've long wondered how many people translated being a nerd on this forum 15 years ago into a good job in the games industry. I'm one of them too! Anyhow, see you all at GDC.

For me it was the other way around, a friend at videogame school gifted me an account.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Chernabog posted:

For me it was the other way around, a friend at videogame school gifted me an account.

I joined while crunching on an MMO ‘cuz half the engineering team had accounts.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Hughlander posted:

I joined while crunching on an MMO ‘cuz half the engineering team had accounts.

yeah my QA buddies told me it was a good place to talk about 40k.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

more falafel please posted:

I'll probably be at the Marriott Death Star on Tuesday. Find Dave Lang, he'll have bought as much Chimay as they're allowed to sell him.
I spent most of my week in and around that hotel. Went into the conference space precisely twice; once to get my pass, again to meet someone for a 10 minute coffee! In my experience they make a shitton of money from the most expensive name badges ever produced.

How was everyone else’s GDC? Glad to be home tbh.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 25, 2023

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I actually didn't go to the Death Star at all until Friday night, but my GDC was good.

Ran into a producer who left my client a few months ago, within 5 minutes we had both tried to recruit each other.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I live locally, which makes attending GDC easy, but makes attending the nightlife trickier (gotta be home for dinner). It was still good to catch up with friends in the gardens. I bought the indie summit pass, which was a waste of money; next year it's expo pass or nothing.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

This might be the wrong thread for this, but I'm not sure I can think of a better thread for advice on this.

A friend of mine recently released a game, a small indie thing not published by anyone or for sale or anything like that, just the sort of up on the web kind of thing. It got a decently positive reception, but then they were contacted by someone from a well known publisher to say they all enjoyed it, and if they were interested in talking about any future projects they might have they'd love to chat with them.

My friend was pretty shocked by this (and just my speculation but I get the impression pretty intimidated at the prospect as well) and they haven't gotten back to the publisher yet.

I'm wondering if anyone has any kind of advice I can, i dunno, pass along or something to them, on how these things go, or what. They've never worked in the games industry before in any capacity, and when they were talking to me about it I didn't know what to say since I have no connection to any of that (except to say don't pass it up, whats the worst that can happen).

Is this kind of a thing a common occurrence? Do publishers in a seemingly informal chat expect anything specifically if they chat about any of the ideas they've been bouncing around? Maybe this is the dumbest thing on earth to ask for advice on but I guess more than anything I just want to know if there are any particularly big faux pas, or no no's to tell them to avoid when having that kind of chat with a publisher?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Tom Guycot posted:

This might be the wrong thread for this, but I'm not sure I can think of a better thread for advice on this.

A friend of mine recently released a game, a small indie thing not published by anyone or for sale or anything like that, just the sort of up on the web kind of thing. It got a decently positive reception, but then they were contacted by someone from a well known publisher to say they all enjoyed it, and if they were interested in talking about any future projects they might have they'd love to chat with them.

My friend was pretty shocked by this (and just my speculation but I get the impression pretty intimidated at the prospect as well) and they haven't gotten back to the publisher yet.

I'm wondering if anyone has any kind of advice I can, i dunno, pass along or something to them, on how these things go, or what. They've never worked in the games industry before in any capacity, and when they were talking to me about it I didn't know what to say since I have no connection to any of that (except to say don't pass it up, whats the worst that can happen).

Is this kind of a thing a common occurrence? Do publishers in a seemingly informal chat expect anything specifically if they chat about any of the ideas they've been bouncing around? Maybe this is the dumbest thing on earth to ask for advice on but I guess more than anything I just want to know if there are any particularly big faux pas, or no no's to tell them to avoid when having that kind of chat with a publisher?

Double check the domain info on the mail. But it's not unusual for publishers to have scouts that look for games trying to generate business

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Be very careful you read and understand any agreement. Probably hire a lawyer to represent you if you get that far. The whole 'TLC only got paid $50,000 for CrazySexyCool' thing can and definitely does happen in the games world.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

This is really common in mobile games, but I don't know about web games.
There's multiple publishers that scout out small indie games, identify ones that could benefit from a monetization strategy (exploit the hell out of it), then partner with the studio and if successful eventually buy them.
It can be a pretty good deal for a small studio as long as you're efficient and smart about managing the contract (get a lawyer) but it can be a death sentence if you negotiate a lovely deal or make bad business decisions.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Also be aware that there's a big difference between making a web game for fun and releasing it for free, vs making it as part of a business plan. It changes the work and it changes how you think about the work. The publisher will set milestones (a.k.a. deadlines) that you have to hit to get paid.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Also be aware that there's a big difference between making a web game for fun and releasing it for free, vs making it as part of a business plan. It changes the work and it changes how you think about the work. The publisher will set milestones (a.k.a. deadlines) that you have to hit to get paid.

I don't usually deal with the business stuff, but AIUI the milestones often have payment schedules for a defined scope, with incentives for hitting by a preferred date. This is counterintuitively worse than just scope targets, since many people will budget for their one-time bonus as guaranteed.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Thanks for all the feedback, I really appreciate anything I can pass on.

leper khan posted:

Double check the domain info on the mail. But it's not unusual for publishers to have scouts that look for games trying to generate business

I know it was contact through their verified social media account, so thats at least not a concern for them, but I hadn't even considered phishing emails like that.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Be very careful you read and understand any agreement. Probably hire a lawyer to represent you if you get that far. The whole 'TLC only got paid $50,000 for CrazySexyCool' thing can and definitely does happen in the games world.

Thats a good point. They can have all the personal indie publishing charm in the world but its good to remember they're still a corporation with one thing on its mind.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This is where my hunch that my friend is intimidated by the prospect of even having a conversation with them comes in. They've never worked for a studio, don't have a studio, never worked with a team or released anything commercial in any way, just basement work in their free time when not grading papers, so I get the feeling (maybe its just projection though) that the idea of all that stuff, milestones, development teams, "business plans", contracts, somehow setting up a studio, etc is like two tons of bricks weighing on them. Heck the idea weighs on me and I'm not even involved beyond trying to support my friend. I think they'd ignore it and just be content with their day job and noodling in their spare time, but it seems like an awfully missed opportunity to just pass up giving a go to.

Do publishers generally like... poo poo I don't know, help out with independent developers they want to work with or is it generally an industry of "ok we gave you money, better have our poo poo ready by this date, later" hands off kind of thing?

I know its probably a dumb question but I'm so absolutely clueless of the business side of anything to do with games.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Tom Guycot posted:

Thanks for all the feedback, I really appreciate anything I can pass on.

I know it was contact through their verified social media account, so thats at least not a concern for them, but I hadn't even considered phishing emails like that.

Thats a good point. They can have all the personal indie publishing charm in the world but its good to remember they're still a corporation with one thing on its mind.

This is where my hunch that my friend is intimidated by the prospect of even having a conversation with them comes in. They've never worked for a studio, don't have a studio, never worked with a team or released anything commercial in any way, just basement work in their free time when not grading papers, so I get the feeling (maybe its just projection though) that the idea of all that stuff, milestones, development teams, "business plans", contracts, somehow setting up a studio, etc is like two tons of bricks weighing on them. Heck the idea weighs on me and I'm not even involved beyond trying to support my friend. I think they'd ignore it and just be content with their day job and noodling in their spare time, but it seems like an awfully missed opportunity to just pass up giving a go to.

Do publishers generally like... poo poo I don't know, help out with independent developers they want to work with or is it generally an industry of "ok we gave you money, better have our poo poo ready by this date, later" hands off kind of thing?

I know its probably a dumb question but I'm so absolutely clueless of the business side of anything to do with games.

Level of hands-on-ness varies, and carries different terms alongside it. Publishers can offer more or less whatever type of support someone needs; the thing they have is money and connections.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I've spoken with a lot of publishers who also offer a lot of outsourcing, so if you need help with some specific part of the development process, they know someone that can help. Just remember that the publisher is here to make money. I wouldn't go into this with the expectation that you yourself (or rather, that your friend the developer) will make a significant amount of money. About the best you can realistically hope for is that you'll be paid for the time you spent working on making the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
The best thing your friend can do is find someone, or group, or whatever, of people experienced in this to illicit feedback and advice from through the process. It's far more complicated than most people think. As someone said Publishers aren't out to make you dreams come true and support you, they want to make money. They likely aren't at a level to get an agent but even just a mentor would go a long way.

If they haven't already scoured the internet there are a lot of great articles and post morts from solo indie devs that dive into a lot of the things you would never even consider. A good starting point at least.