Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'm still looking for production work (London UK based) but I don't know why, there's just no reason this should have taken so long for someone with my experience level. Worse someone is actively claiming credit for my work in my last role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
The job market is just very rough right now. Lotsa layoffs, fewer openings. Early last year it was wide open, you're out there at bad timing unfortunately.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I need a couple of project managers at Maxis.
Remote available outside of the west coast, priority given to Austin, Atlanta, Toronto areas.
Need Agile experience and leet JIRA skills for basic roles, plus people management for the more senior roles.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I thought Maxis was gone completely. Glad to hear that they are still around!

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most

Vino posted:

The job market is just very rough right now. Lotsa layoffs, fewer openings. Early last year it was wide open, you're out there at bad timing unfortunately.

Yeah I've been looking for Unity dev work, but it seems like it's either web3 crypto companies or people wanting Unreal right now. Not super great!

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Residual Toast posted:

Yeah I've been looking for Unity dev work, but it seems like it's either web3 crypto companies or people wanting Unreal right now. Not super great!

No one will judge you for eating the VC money from web 3 companies. Job is a job.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'm surprised all the VC money hasn't moved to the new AI buzzword.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
There's always someone hoping to start the next big crypto scam.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Residual Toast posted:

You might be able to swing the C# familiarity from Unity into a tools type position, but yeah Unreal or at least something involving C++ is generally gonna be more useful in the AA-AAA space.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Bucnasti posted:

Remote available outside of the west coast, priority given to Austin, Atlanta, Toronto areas.
Need Agile experience and leet JIRA skills for basic roles, plus people management for the more senior roles.

Got all of that, is that remote only in North America or could they consider someone in the UK, or relocation support?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Got all of that, is that remote only in North America or could they consider someone in the UK, or relocation support?

We have a couple people in EU so... maybe?
Not sure when the reqs will be posted, we just go the go ahead to start hiring again, but we need people asap.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Generally a position for the NA team isn't open to someone in EU(unless you want to move to NA, no idea if we do relocation support) because the timezone difference makes working cross-team a pain in the rear end. We'll probably be hiring a couple people on the EU team Soon^tm though, not sure what disciplines yet. Keep https://www.ea.com/en-gb/ea-studios/maxis/careers bookmarked! :D

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
How hard is it to break into the 2D/Graphic Design/Marketing side of the business in [Current Year]? I'm throwing out a few applications when I see stuff on Grackle, but is there anywhere else you'd recommend searching? (I am also slowly learning some 3D Stuff and upskilling in the 2D side when I get some inspiration).

I've got a pretty decent portfolio (I think) and about 8 years experience doing Graphic Design and Community Management for various social media agencies and TV Companies. I'll probably be getting/qualifying for a green card early next year when my marriage is actually made official, but I'm kind of stuck working remote in New Zealand for a hot minute

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

The in demand skills right now are UX/UI design. So if you've already got the Graphic Design skills then I'd make the move into XD and you can write your own ticket.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

A lot of places are just starting to come out of hiring freezes, but for most non-senior roles it’s a really rough job search right now. I know if several mid level non-engineers who’ve been struggling to find work in games the last six months.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I've been working in TV/Film for the last 3 years so I'm no stranger to instability.

Thanks for the UX/UI Advice. I've got a full adobe subscription and I've been learning how to do stuff with Figma for the last couple of months so I'll start doing some more stuff there

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Solus posted:

I've been working in TV/Film for the last 3 years so I'm no stranger to instability.

Thanks for the UX/UI Advice. I've got a full adobe subscription and I've been learning how to do stuff with Figma for the last couple of months so I'll start doing some more stuff there

I have no idea how you learn those skills, but putting together a good portfolio that demonstrates that kind of work should be a top priority.

Also get really good at pointing out why everything you see is broken, that seems to be the consistent trait of all the good XD people I've worked with. :)

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Solus posted:

Figma is definitely the right move. The UI/UX designers where I'm at use the poo poo out of that thing.
And it is awesome seeing their stuff in reviews.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

Bucnasti posted:

Hey, I see Maxis also has a couple of design positions open in Europe and I seem to meet the requirements. I gather you seem to be in the US, so I'm of course not sure how much the experience differs., but is it OK to DM you with some questions about applying and working there anyway?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Frosty Mossman posted:

Hey, I see Maxis also has a couple of design positions open in Europe and I seem to meet the requirements. I gather you seem to be in the US, so I'm of course not sure how much the experience differs., but is it OK to DM you with some questions about applying and working there anyway?

Sure.
The EU targeted positions are not on my project so I won't have a ton of specific information, but generally the studio culture and expectations are consistent.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

You can ask me! I'm on the EU team :D

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

floofyscorp posted:

You can ask me! I'm on the EU team :D

Assuming I've not mixed you up with someone else I already messaged you on LinkedIn about this, but I've applied for a Producer spot with Maxis, was going to check there wasn't a referral scheme but EA's job portal is weird! You can apply to stuff by accident!

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Ah, yes that's me, got your message! We do referrals and the way it's supposed to work is I put in the application for you through our internal portal, but 90% of the time the person I want to refer gets excited and applies before I tell them how it works, so I just talk to the recruiter and they add my name to the application :v

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Bucnasti posted:

Hitting you and floofyscorp up on this.

Leif. fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 8, 2023

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Any Pokémon international folks want to talk about culture? Looking there but recent glassdoors are not looking good.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Surprised this thread is as quiet as it is given the sheer number of layoffs and studio closures we've seen on a daily basis recently.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Leif. posted:

Surprised this thread is as quiet as it is given the sheer number of layoffs and studio closures we've seen on a daily basis recently.

I have a ton of positions opening up next month (prod, GD, XD, eng). I'll post the JDs once they're online.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I was laid off like a month ago. I'm currently in talks with a startup but it may not work out so I'm starting to look at other options.
If anybody knows of any opportunities for a senior systems designer please let me know. I prefer remote but I'd be willing to consider relocation.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

With all the studios falling over there's lots of sympathy cases people would rather hire over someone capable so I can't get a look in.

And time and again I get rejected for roles in ideal for and see them open three months later. They'd rather have no one at the rudder than hire someone who isn't the exact person that vacated the position and just let someone have that time to pick it up. God forbid anyone try to raise and address the issue, that's negative, negative people don't get hired. Wonder why game projects are never on time.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

BizarroAzrael posted:

With all the studios falling over there's lots of sympathy cases people would rather hire over someone capable so I can't get a look in.

And time and again I get rejected for roles in ideal for and see them open three months later. They'd rather have no one at the rudder than hire someone who isn't the exact person that vacated the position and just let someone have that time to pick it up. God forbid anyone try to raise and address the issue, that's negative, negative people don't get hired. Wonder why game projects are never on time.

Unfortunately that's the case for some positions. I had a Principal Engineer/Architect role open for about 6 months. It's for a long lasting live service game that's been running for 5 years and I'd expect to run for another 20. We have to be really sure about who is going to set the direction of the code base so that we can add new features a decade from now.

I've had lead roles open where managers were taking on the duties (poorly since they had their day jobs.) but we would reject candidates rather than fill it with the wrong person.

This was a problem superstar poster how!! Could never understand, If there are N jobs and N candidates then every candidate must be hired for one of those N jobs is false. Sometimes it's better to keep that job open then hire the wrong candidate for it.

Now I've also seen it taken to stupid extremes like rejecting Steve Rabin (Of the Game AI Programming book fame) in the early 2000s from a job because they failed to implement a C++ copy constructor. So what you're saying has merit but just sometimes it's also more complicated than that.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Yeah, my company is extremely picky about hiring server engineers (python and sql) despite desperately needing more of them because they view people writing bad and unscalable code as worse than not having anyone in the role

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Oh hey speaking of...

Hiring a Lead Unity Engineer, and a Sr. Engineer that's FullStackish.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I know there's a lot of layoffs going on.
You know who's not laying off people? Maxis.
We're turning on the hiring spigot for both The Sims 4, and "Project Rene".

I am in desperate need of multiplayer focused Engineers, designers and producers.

Current openings for both projects are here:
https://www.ea.com/ea-studios/maxis/careers

Specific roles I need to fill are here:
https://ea.gr8people.com/jobs/178382/multiplayer-gameplay-software-engineer-the-sims?locale=en
https://ea.gr8people.com/jobs/180331/lead-producer-multiplayer-the-sims?locale=en

These are the current open reqs, but more will be posted in the next couple weeks, Including Multiplayer designer and Multiplayer design director.

Edit to add: These roles are all remote friendly, and not available in California.

Bucnasti fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 29, 2023

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

We just opened some more Game Designer roles on my project.

https://ea.gr8people.com/jobs/180947/game-design-director-multiplayer-the-sims
https://ea.gr8people.com/jobs/180944/game-design-director-creative-tools-the-sims
https://ea.gr8people.com/jobs/180949/senior-game-designer-multiplayer-the-sims
https://ea.gr8people.com/jobs/180357/senior-game-designer-the-sims

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Bucnasti posted:

Edit to add: These roles are all remote friendly, and not available in California.

You sure? A lot of them seem to list California Cities (unless you mean not remote friendly in California)

Edit: lmao the post is from September, so maybe the list updated, my b!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I think the current Producer roles listed at Maxis are only offering remote within the US, not the UK, is that right?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think the current Producer roles listed at Maxis are only offering remote within the US, not the UK, is that right?

It depends on the team. My team is NA only, but the The Sims 4 team has been ramping up an EU team so they might be available there, I don't have much visibility into their roles.

On my team we're being encouraged to hire outside of California for anything below director level. Most US states and Canada are eligible with a few weird exceptions, like specific places in Colorado or states like Minnesota where we don't have a business entity. Relocation assistance to get out of those places is possible.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Why, I'm curious?

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

The EU Maxis team will be opening a bunch of roles shortly and we are all fully remote within Europe(any country we have an office in at least, which includes the UK). I'll post about them once the job recs go live!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
The Maxis jobs are real -- I'm gonna be joining y'all next month!