Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Bakalakadaka posted:

I have a bit over 6 years of experience as a software developer using InterSystems Cache/IRIS (no one ever knows what this). I'm thinking of trying to make a jump to games because that was basically the reason I first went into a CS degree a decade ago, and also because the future of my current employer is a bit uncertain at the moment due to management problems.

I'm pretty sure no game developers use IRIS (it might be useful on the back end for an mmo or something lmao) but I have plenty of programming experience that can probably be applied to any language with a little time to learn new syntax and stuff. My qualifications are basically "has done lots of software dev," and "plays and thinks about video games a lot." Is it enough to have general programming experience and just start applying or is there other stuff I should learn to add to my resume first? I haven't actively tried to get a new job since I got this one so I have no idea where to start or what employers are looking for.

Never heard of IRIS, but from a quick read about it, it does seem the most natural transition would be to something like a multiplayer backend type thing, or maybe platform/infrastructure work. Lots of clouds and databases in that sort of thing. You might have some luck applying to that sort of thing as is, but it’s not really my area, so can’t say for certain.

If you’re wanting to do something more gameplay oriented, you’ll probably need to pick up some more game-specific skills. You can pick up a lot of the fundamentals picking up an engine like Unity and just trying to make stuff and going through tutorials. Most gameplay jobs will also require familiarity with C++, though for Unity specifically, C# might be all they care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Residual Toast posted:

Yeah I've been looking for Unity dev work, but it seems like it's either web3 crypto companies or people wanting Unreal right now. Not super great!

You might be able to swing the C# familiarity from Unity into a tools type position, but yeah Unreal or at least something involving C++ is generally gonna be more useful in the AA-AAA space.