Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
For journalists/writers, for god's sake, be on loving time. If you're so lucky as to be offered a position writing for a company or website on contract, the last thing some editor or content manager needs is to have to go to their boss and answer questions as to why a translation isn't done or a piece didn't go up for the day. I am repeatedly shocked that people given such an opportunity would play so fast-and-loose with it.

FreakyZoid posted:

Last year I wrote this based on some of the things I do and don't like seeing in design interviewees.

http://www.mainlyaboutgames.co.uk/2010/06/tips-for-game-design-interviews/

Recently, we posted a job with the requirement of the applicant being in-touch with pop culture and current trends as we do a lot of licensing. The applicant listed his library card and Netflix subscription. While I would not recommend this to job applicants, we all felt it was the best thing ever and the guy got the interview.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 31, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Diplomaticus posted:

Counterpoint: for journalists, your interviews at trade shows will run long. You will be late for things. Know what you can and can't be late for.

Also: Marketing staff and producers that are presenting at trade shows: don't ever loving make us wait, and especially don't blow us off after you've already scheduled us in for an appointment (I'm looking at you, Realtime Worlds.)

This is completely true. I manage on-site live content for our company as well and have to manage expectations of people who have never had to work or generate content under those circumstances.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Our R&D development lead (also a former pro MTG'r who still games successfully time to time) posted a solid blog about common things that trip-up interviewees.

http://www.wowtcg.com/blogs/2011/06/01/rd-blog-acing-interview