Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clonkers
Jan 15, 2009

OmniBong
EDIT: ^ right there with you dude (well with the unpaid overtime and long hours, not 80-90 long though, fuuuuuck!)

miscellaneous14 posted:

That's the one really jarring thing about moving from a food service job to one in the games industry, that you're shifting from an environment of "DO WORK CONSTANTLY ALL THE TIME OR YOU'RE hosed", to one of "eh, just give good results and you can chill most of the time".

It'll be even more jarring to see content played at E3 that I've already been doing over and over again. :v:

There is a difference between having a laid back, chilled work environment to having a lazy, unproductive work environment.
Yes I sit there with youtube on all day, yes we often all turn our chairs round and have a laugh or a joke, but we get poo poo done, daily. If you turn up to a scrum or a meeting with nothing to show progress wise people will notice and you wont stay working there for long. If you don't hit deadlines on features they might get cut and you might get cut with them if it is obvious you haven't put in the work.

Clonkers fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jun 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clonkers
Jan 15, 2009

OmniBong
Solus: Programming doesn't become fun until you conquer the syntax and grasp the core mechanics of the language, from then on it is like writing a book, you construct interfaces between complex systems all the while aiming to maintain both readability of code and raw performance. Once the design and implementation is done you release it into the rest of the project then spend time tweaking it, fixing bugs and making it as near perfect as it has been (by the end you normally look at it and wish you could start over but c'est la vie).

Washow: Focusing on core maths skills is good, particularly what I'd call 'Graphical Maths' e.g matrix math and manipulation and trigonometry, however all of that is useless if you are a poor coder. Read books and study other peoples implementations and code to try and improve your own skills, never copy and paste code from somewhere else without understanding exactly what it does - debugging is near impossible if you don't know what the code does in the first place. hope that helps

Clonkers
Jan 15, 2009

OmniBong

Vino posted:

@Jaytan: My resume: http://vinoisnotouzo.com/resume It lacks studio experience since I've been doing the indie thing for so long, which I think is my biggest drawback.

Out of interest, what sort of positions are you going for? One of the big drawbacks I can see for big studios is you don't have any console experience listed which is a requirement for any position above junior in most cases (even for junior positions in some of the big ones).

If you could get yourself some level of experience, even coding for small hand held devices for example then you'd become a lot more attractive. I know my studio isn't particularly interested in anyone who only does PC coding as they never have the same understanding of developing for limited hardware

Clonkers
Jan 15, 2009

OmniBong
Quick question Diplomaticus, in my current contract there is a clause stating anything I make while I work for this company belongs to the company. I signed this contract when I, you know, needed to eat and stuff but now I am finding that a little....annoying, is there any way for my company to try to take money off of me for things I do outside of office hours? Naturally anything I do while in the studio using their poo poo is all theirs, but the idea that they own anything I make at home just seems...wrong.